closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Home office reno and desk set-up

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    Splash of red with the speakers would really stand out, in a good way.
    Looking really good...
    Thanks, and that’s what I’m thinking too, particularly as the walls are going to be grey.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 22nd March 2024 at 19:10.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Next piece of the jigsaw arrived today, in the form of a shelf from Oakeywood. It’s absolutely perfect, and I’ll now be able to position the soon to be speakers just where I want them. Just have to decide on the colour!

Anyway, really happy with the shelf, although I wouldn’t want the monitor any higher at all than it is at the moment.

I’m hoping that, over the weekend, I’ll be able to reposition the television and also move my helmet racks over to the other side of the room. Depends on whether my son is available to help, as Bea won’t let me do it on my own, given that I’m not meant to be lifting or straining myself in any way at the moment.
    you are giving me some inspo tony ill post pics of my room later, but the keyb and mouse are on the list.

do you have a webcam?

Quote Originally Posted by cyrusir View Post
    you are giving me some inspo tony ill post pics of my room later, but the keyb and mouse are on the list.

do you have a webcam?
    Oh, that’s good to hear. Look forward to seeing your room as and when.

Yes, my webcam is a Logitech Brio. If I were buying now, though, I’d go for the Insta 360 with AI.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 22nd March 2024 at 19:06.

Master

Yes, my webcam is a Logitech Brio. If I were buying now, though, I’d go for the Insta 360 with AI.
    That’s one hell of an upgrade!

I can’t be bothered upgrading my webcam so my peers can see me better, most are using the camera on their laptop & a screen, so they stare at their screen not at the camera; drives me insane given their income.

Our head of ahem, thought leadership, seems incapable of having his entire face on screen, usually like his chair has collapsed, and like he is in a dungeon - it’s darker than your photos lol. Bonkers given he is on a not beginning with 1 salary. He just doesn’t give a sh*t.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master

ok great is it in that set up I can’t see where the webcam is (was wondering how it worked with the benq light )

Master
    Tony, so did you mount the wall plate centrally for the tv, forgetting it offsets to the side when pushed back? You certainly won’t be the first of last with that.

Shelf looks spot on, making me toy with the base mount for my monitor, but I don’t want to find I am having to dremel it back out if I change my mind!

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Tony, so did you mount the wall plate centrally for the tv, forgetting it offsets to the side when pushed back? You certainly won’t be the first of last with that.

Shelf looks spot on, making me toy with the base mount for my monitor, but I don’t want to find I am having to dremel it back out if I change my mind!

Sent from
    my iPad using Tapatalk
    No, Matt - I’m hoping to reposition the TV over the weekend but haven’t done it yet. The top of the monitor is just higher now because it’s standing on the shelf (and I’ve repositioned the desk so the TV is an altogether different position relative to the desk than when I started.).
    Last edited by learningtofly; 22nd March 2024 at 15:18.

Haha - had never thought of that and I bet I would have fallen for that ! Goes to check the TV in the spare room...

How's the mouse going to work on that? I know that you have a mouse pad and everything but it will always be full of finger and wrist prints.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    How's the mouse going to work on that? I know that you have a mouse pad and everything but it will always be full of finger and wrist prints.
    I have a large desk mat on the way, so doubt I'd make contact with the glass very often. That said, it may indeed get quite fingerprinty.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 24th March 2024 at 17:37.

Master
    A really interesting range of home office set ups. Having spent lockdown and the aftermath camping in my son's bedroom when we moved house I set aside the box room (about 2.3m x 1.8m) for my home office. There was only one option for the location of the desk and working facing the window isn't much of a problem as the blind helps regulate the light (works well for video calls). I can get a bit distracted by the view.

It took some time to assemble everything. I bought a set of sit stand legs for the desk. However standard desk tops weren't a good fit and I wanted to make the most of the width of the room so I chose a custom size. I looked at various materials but ended up with bamboo. The place from where I bought it cut it to size and cut two grommet holes in it. The off cuts became the shelves, the brackets for which I found on Etsy. I had to varnish the Bamboo which took me a few weeks over the summer. It came up a treat and is a lovely, tactile surface.

I bought a powered desk grommet which helps with easily swapping out gear (my son games there at weekends and can change easily between work and home laptops). It also has an HDMI socket and a wireless charger.

I would love to ditch the printer as it takes up so much space but it is used regularly so will have to stay.

It seems I need to up my game on the keyboard and mouse front as I am using standard company issue. I would also like a better laptop stand so am on the look out for one of those.

There is one corner that still needs sorting. Hopefully a small comfy chair and some more storage for my camera gear and watch stuff.

And then there is the wall space on which I want to hang some more pictures and photos but all in good time.

Master
    Well, managed to get the desk to within 2 cm of central to the wall by covering the right hand socket I didn’t use.

Monitor arm has been lowered, and as it does so, it moves to the left; am now 2cm off central to the wall, so the track art will look spot on.

Why I hadn’t thought of it earlier I have no idea. Think this thread helped inspire my creativity / desire to not spend more than I had to.

Still want a new monitor though!

Master
    logitech keyboard and mouse ordered, felt desk mate likewise and the lovely oakywood monitor shelf ordered, that will do for this month!

cheers for the inspo LTF!

Well, managed to get the desk to within 2 cm of central to the wall by covering the right hand socket I didn’t use.

Monitor arm has been lowered, and as it does so, it moves to the left; am now 2cm off central to the wall, so the track art will look spot on.

Why I hadn’t thought of it earlier I have no idea. Think this thread helped inspire my creativity / desire to not spend more than I had to.

Still want a new monitor though!
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrusir View Post
    logitech keyboard and mouse ordered, felt desk mate likewise and the lovely oakywood monitor shelf ordered, that will do for this month!

cheers for the inspo LTF!
    Music to my ears, both - hugely pleased that the thread has had an impact, and look forward to seeing some photos as and when.

I’ve made a few updates myself but have some bigger changes to the room/lighting/area behind my desk happening in the next 48 hours. I’m therefore holding off from posting any changes for now but will do so for all of it shortly. Thereafter, it should just be the redecoration to follow.

I wasn't going to post another photo just yet, but I have some new lighting and have also received the desk mat and palm rest that I ordered. Oh, and I've relocated the helmet racks as well...

Last edited by learningtofly; 27th March 2024 at 02:50.

Master
    I wasn't going to post another photo just yet, but I have some new lighting and have also received the desk mat and palm rest that I ordered. Oh, and I've relocated the helmet racks as well...

what is the palm rest tony and how do you feel about the mat now you have recieved it, is it worth the premium price?

Master
    Corner lights look fantastic there, could work better than my floor standing single sided one….link please!

Never seen a wrist support so well designed, does it move with you, or static? Tried my BIG MX3 today as had scrolling to do & still prefer my backwards Apple mouse, daft as it seems.

Corner lights look fantastic there, could work better than my floor standing single sided one….link please!

Never seen a wrist support so well designed, does it move with you, or static? Tried my BIG MX3 today as had scrolling to do & still prefer my backwards Apple mouse, daft as it seems.

These are the lights, Matt. They can face outwards too, and can be operated via a remote or the Govee app.

Yes, then palm rest moves with you/the mouse.

Master
    These are the lights, Matt. They can face outwards too, and can be operated via a remote or the Govee app.

Yes, then palm rest moves with you/the mouse.
    We had a similar light in the dining room but on the Hue ecosystem. Don’t really want to get into having 2 apps for light control.

Significantly better value than the Hue one, which is probably why we decided it wasn’t necessary in a room that already had 8 colour spots in it.

Tony, please centre the TV - it's killing my OCD!
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Tony, please centre the TV - it's killing my OCD!
    Believe me, Chris, it’s killing my OCD more! Unfortunately, i’m not allowed to get up a ladder and it’s probably a bit too heavy for me to try and lift at this moment in time; however, my son now has a bad foot!! (That said, I won’t be able to control myself much longer, albeit that Bea will kill me.)
    Last edited by learningtofly; 27th March 2024 at 13:09.

I used to use a similar wrist support but found the Logitech MX vertical mouse is a better solution, with the more natural handshake grip, my wrist has not hurt since.

Sent from my SM-F946B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    I used to use a similar wrist support but found the Logitech MX vertical mouse is a better solution, with the more natural handshake grip, my wrist has not hurt since.

Sent from my SM-F946B using Tapatalk
    I’m far too happy with the S3 to consider changing it. The vertical muse is a good option, though.

Craftsman
    My wife is in the process of getting an office area designed for our smallest bedroom. Will be made to fit the width of that room.
    This was the first design, might be totally different by now.
    As it will be laptops that are getting used, for cables she is getting a couple of these type built in.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aluminum-Re...b7a88ac03a4c59

The chair, plant and pictures were added by the designer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s hard to underestimate how useful an electric standing desk is.

I have this, my wife has the smaller version

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/idasen-...ige-s89280969/

Two Belkin 4 or 6 way surge protectors under the desk hidden in the netting under the desk and you’re good to go

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00OE46ELW

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post

Two Belkin 4 or 6 way surge protectors under the desk hidden in the netting under the desk and you’re good to go

Standing desks are the bollocks! Not only for posture, but in an office environment - you are super-fast out the trap...... when the boss is heading your way.

Blog Entries

Agreed, I've got the following in my garden office:

https://yo-yodesk.co.uk/products/yo-...30859810635874

Didn't think I'd use the stand feature as much as I actually do, which is multiple times per day. Memory settings are super handy too so the desk goes to exact height as needed.

Master
    With thanks to RustyBin5 of this good forum my next office toys are soon to be built and mounted.

Will have a Lego 911 GT3 RS and a Lamborghini Sian mounted above my screen.

Sonos has ended up in the corner on a stand (never listen to music in the chair, only meetings and reading)

And then a wooden 3D track in the large blank space as a nod to the home of British motorsport.

So I’ve spent a lot of money and nothing that has improved my productivity or comfort, just happiness at sitting in the room.

Tony has spent his money on proper work upgrades lol.

With thanks to RustyBin5 of this good forum my next office toys are soon to be built and mounted.

Will have a Lego 911 GT3 RS and a Lamborghini Sian mounted above my screen.

Sonos has ended up in the corner on a stand (never listen to music in the chair, only meetings and reading)

And then a wooden 3D track in the large blank space as a nod to the home of British motorsport.

So I’ve spent a lot of money and nothing that has improved my productivity or comfort, just happiness at sitting in the room.

I think that increased happiness in sitting in the room will inevitably improve both your productivity and comfort, Matt. It will be interesting to hear your feedback once you’re used working in the new environment.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 28th March 2024 at 21:57.

Master
    I think that increased happiness in sitting in the room will inevitably improve both your productivity and comfort, Matt. It will be interesting to hear your feedback once you’re used working in the new .
    Nothing on cam anyone can see changes, so it’s my own wellbeing.

I have never spent on things like this before; we purchased Doug Hyde art for any room my wife wanted, but never spent on my office aside from the basics (Aeron and Eames hardly basics, but you know what I mean).

Lego may work, or might not - can always sell on if it doesn’t. Love the frames for the cars, but at 80cm height on a 110cm monitor to ceiling height it is too much.

My love of cars would be very happy with this if I had the space!

Home office reno and desk set-up

Priorities. You made the right call.

Master
    I really hope so, I will enjoy sitting there working, and already have the comfort seating.

Still toying with new lighting though.

Environment counts.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

This threads given me a kick up the arse to get mine sorted. Had a big change around last year but decided I want the top shelves gone and a fresh coat of paint

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by leo1790 View Post
    This threads given me a kick up the arse to get mine sorted. Had a big change around last year but decided I want the top shelves gone and a fresh coat of paint

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
    What colour are you going for?

Very frustrated that my son’s out of action for a few days. The painting is going to have to wait, but so are the new (black) bookshelves and relocating the TV. Actually, I may try the latter when Bea’s not around
    Last edited by learningtofly; 1st April 2024 at 20:01.

Master
    What colour are you going for?

Very frustrated that my son’s out of action for a few days. The painting is going to have to wait, but so are the new (black) bookshelves and relocating the TV. Actually, I may try the latter when Bea’s not around
    Frustrating having to wait for something eh!

Please don’t try it alone, weight won’t be the issue but the positioning, strain and trying to hold & mount it. If I was closer I’d pop over to help.

Frustrating having to wait for something eh!

Please don’t try it alone, weight won’t be the issue but the positioning, strain and trying to hold & mount it. If I was closer I’d pop over to help.

Nice thought, Matt, thank you. No, if I did it myself I’d probably end up back in hospital (I’m not mean to lift anything heavy for another four weeks).
    Last edited by learningtofly; 1st April 2024 at 20:22.

Master
    Few changes, logitech mx mech keyboard and mouse arrived, oakywood shelf (went natural oak as walnut would be too dark, my desk is oak with a medium stain, i think it works better than black aswell but open to thoughts!), waiting on a desk pad and have rewired everything, still a few errant wires but they cant all be hidden without a lot more work so ok for now! Also centered the monitors with the wall behind!

Last edited by cyrusir; 3rd April 2024 at 11:05.

Master
    OK, so some of the Lego things are work in progress for above the monitor, 911 stage 1 built, Lambo on the way from RustyBin5.

Mounted the track too high in the room and poorly orientated having stepped back.

Looks flat but isn’t

Now at a better height and orientation

Great to see this thread still being updated. I still find it strangely fascinating
    Last edited by Bootsy; 12th April 2024 at 10:26.

Very minor updates from me.

I’m a little obsessed with Oxblood coloured / leather stuff. Stems from my Dr Martens fetish!

So a new addition is an Oxblood leather writing desk pad on my left hand side desk for when I rarely scribe away.

Also now have a monitor light so not always reliant on my desk lamp

On the subject of lighting….

I have all my lamps on smart plugs running via Alexa so have schedules set or can call them on and off for Zoom meetings etc depending. on natural light levels.

Back wall picture is the skyline of beloved home town Norwich. I live about 25 minutes from the centre these days. Works well as the colours go with the rooms various tones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Bootsy; 12th April 2024 at 10:27.

Master
    That picture does go well for sure.

How’s the desk chair? It looks fantastic as a design but doesn’t scream all-day-comfort to me at a glance.

About 2/3 of the way through my 911 Lego build for one of the cars for the wall, but already wondering if I should go simpler with another race track instead of 2 cars - a lot less dusting to do.

Slightly frustrating I’ve not got through the first car and already wondering on a different direction. Oh well, enjoyed the build and I can get my money back if I decide it’s not right once mounted.

The chair could be argued as being a little style over function!

The top part is mid century, re-padded and recovered in Oxblood leather but with a modern pneumatic base on it with various adjustments however.......

I'm strict and only spend so much time sitting at a time and having tried a few this actually supports the base of my spine well plus I seem conditioned in keeping very upright when sitting on it - this stems from me using a 'kneeling' chair at my office in Norwich (couple of days a week)

Absolutely lovely room, although I agree that the chair is probably less than ideal from an ergonomics perspective. I do like it though, and I love the oxblood desk mat.

Sam, my son, was meant to have come over today to help put the new bookshelves up. He didn't (he's very, very unreliable) but I did manage to get something done...

I also moved the second helmet rack to the other side of the room, so it's really just the bookshelves and painting left now (sadly, I need Sam for both). Oh, and I need to decide whether to get red or black speakers, but I'm going to ask for some views on that once the room is painted (it's going to be a dark grey).
    Last edited by learningtofly; 14th April 2024 at 09:22.

Absolutely lovely room, although I agree that the chair is probably less than ideal from an ergonomics perspective. I do like it though, and I love then oxblood desk mat.

Sam, my son, was meant to have come over today to help put the new bookshelves up. He didn't (he's very, very unreliable) but I did manage to get something done...

I also moved the second helmet rack to the other side of the room, so it's really just the bookshelves and painting left now (sadly, I need Sam for both). Oh, and I need to decide whether to get red or black speakers, but I'm going to ask for some views on that once the room is painted (it's going to be a dark grey).
    Great to see the TV centred.

This thread has spurred me to make a few adjustments and additions to my WFH set up. Mainly a monitor / laptop arm and full length desk mat.

That picture does go well for sure.

How’s the desk chair? It looks fantastic as a design but doesn’t scream all-day-comfort to me at a glance.

About 2/3 of the way through my 911 Lego build for one of the cars for the wall, but already wondering if I should go simpler with another race track instead of 2 cars - a lot less dusting to do.

Slightly frustrating I’ve not got through the first car and already wondering on a different direction. Oh well, enjoyed the build and I can get my money back if I decide it’s not right once mounted.
    I’d go with another track, or tracks, perhaps with some lighting on the same wall.

Master
    I’d go with another track, or tracks, perhaps with some lighting on the same wall.
    Tv being centred is so much of an improvement there. Amazing how such a simple change makes such a difference!

Struggling for even more lights in there tbh, I’ve got my desk / floor light and then the ceiling one. Don’t spend any time chilling in there / evening personal time, as prefer to be in the lounge with Mac / iPad.

That said, I do like yours either side of the desk in the corner. Mine won’t be in corners but might make it a more balanced light vs simply on one side. Although we are out of the dark mornings & afternoons now!

My challenge with tracks is they need to both mean something / have visited, and also need to look good. Brands is possible, Thruxton isn’t a pretty circuit on a wall. Love the ring on PS5, but #neverbeen.

Master
    Tv being centred is so much of an improvement there. Amazing how such a simple change makes such a difference!

Struggling for even more lights in there tbh, I’ve got my desk / floor light and then the ceiling one. Don’t spend any time chilling in there / evening personal time, as prefer to be in the lounge with Mac / iPad.

That said, I do like yours either side of the desk in the corner. Mine won’t be in corners but might make it a more balanced light vs simply on one side. Although we are out of the dark mornings & afternoons now!

My challenge with tracks is they need to both mean something / have visited, and also need to look good. Brands is possible, Thruxton isn’t a pretty circuit on a wall. Love the ring on PS5, but #neverbeen.

The Silverstone track looks great mounted Matt, perfect for that space
    sounds like you now have justification to visit more tracks to compliment the look/balance of your room
    good luck convincing the missus

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuna1138 View Post
    The Silverstone track looks great mounted Matt, perfect for that space
    sounds like you now have justification to visit more tracks to compliment the look/balance of your room
    good luck convincing the missus
    Cheers. She onboard with another track or two.

Lego cars aren’t working as planned, so will enjoy the build and sell them on. Funds will buy the next track and a standing desk, which I’ve decided I would like to have.

Master
    https://puruslife.co.uk/products/hei...52213#variants

Toying with this desk currently in 140x70 size.

A lot of desks seem to be 80cm depth which for me intrudes too much into the room.