closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: First Porsche

Threaded View

First Porsche

Since I was in my late teens, I've wanted a Porsche. For years a 928 was my dream car, followed by a 944 or 964. The only other car I've ever really lusted after was a Magnum PI style Ferrari 308 (which isn't in any way a current option, and only mentioned for reference).

Much as I try to tell myself otherwise, I have the lust for pretty much any car with a Porsche badge. You know the one, where you have to have a Sinn 857 or Great White or whatever. When I recently confessed this yearning to my SO, she said "well don't wait till you're 70". I took this to be closer to the "you should get one" end of the spectrum than the "do what you want" end, and took it as a green light.

Practically speaking, I know a Macan would be the most sensible for me. Something with 4/5 seats and a decent-ish boot, that would seamlessly replace my XC40 and tick the "Porsche" box. I know that's not what I really want though, and ultimately probably wouldn't scratch the itch. I'm no amateur Stig, I have no desire to take a personal car on a track day, and I keep within 110% of the speed limit. My SO's sister's SO (concentrate at the back) has a 992 C4S which he recently took me for a ride in. I felt the ride was slightly choppy, and when he floored it I thought "this is too fast for these roads". Objectively my Volvo is a better car, not that that makes any difference.

But I really want a Porsche "2 seater" sports car. There are other cars in my family that I can drive, but this would be my main everyday car. I've been doing a bit of research, and I'm only a bit wiser. The forums (Porscheclubgb and Pistonheads) aren't a huge help, as their members have varied requirements (e.g. lowest possible price, investment potential, second 'Sunday' car etc. etc.). There's a Porsche for most requirements, it seems, but the options that are most palateable to me are Cayman 718, or 991.

What's my budget? I'd like to spend 30k. I'm realistically thinking it will be closer to 45K, and while I could go higher that would be getting into 'really?' territory. I will definately be buying from a dealer, and preferably from someone like RPM.

Can anyone help me make a decision??

Bonus question: Is high mileage a concern? I know they need consumables like brake pads and disks / tyres / brake fluid / aircon condensers at regular intervals, but is 70k+ miles a particular worry?
    Last edited by hogthrob; 19th March 2024 at 02:55.