Hi all

I've followed the early retirement thread with some interest over the last couple of years and have been thinking about what is next for me and the family.

Now caught up in yet another re-org at work so thought I'd use the 'opportunity' as a catalyst for driving some changes.

Quick bit of context - kids are either at university or about to start so we are not tied to being near schools etc.

So overall, what is whirring around my mind is selling our current house and using the equity to buy something without a mortgage and then either retire early or possibly get a different kind of job, or even a job in a similar area but just in a different location.

My wife has some firm ideas of areas that she is not interested in, so we are realistically looking at the South-East and South-West.

I'm sure all the combination of priorities will change over time but right now considering these:

- Near a city or large town that can provide a bit of life, shopping etc.
- Somewhat cosmopolitan - though not expecting it to be like West London where we lived ages ago
- Access to motorways so we can visit family etc.
- Access to coast or places to walk and explore

Currently looking at Exeter or surrounding areas as a possibility and am hoping to go and spend some time there next week.

So a couple of questions really:

1 Has anyone else done this type of move within the UK?
2 Other than looking on places like Rightmove for what is available, any pointers for how to get more of an idea of what a place is like? (Obviously can't beat spending time there)
3 Any suggestions of places to explore/consider?

Thanks for any suggestions and insights.