closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Garden Allotments

Hybrid View

Craftsman
    It is worth noting that in the UK, the “garden” (next to a house) is what would be called the “yard” in the USA, and “gardening” is probably more about growing plants for display, and mowing the lawn, and relaxing in the garden after work, rather than growing food to eat, although people will do that too. However, the gardens for many modern houses are very small, and don’t have a lot of growing space, especially for food crops.

Allotments are usually the other way around - mostly growing to eat, with maybe a few ornamental plants, although some allotments have rules about not growing too many display plants.

I have an allotment, and I don’t think of working on it as “gardening”, mainly because it is not a garden (it is an allotment); I am not sure there is a single verb to describe working on the allotment.
    Last edited by Tatters; 26th March 2024 at 22:26.

Quote Originally Posted by Tatters View Post
    It is worth noting that in the UK, the “garden” (next to a house) is what would be called the “yard” in the USA, and “gardening” is probably more about growing plants for display, and mowing the lawn, and relaxing in the garden after work, rather than growing food to eat, although people will do that too. Allotments are usually the other way around - mostly growing to eat, with maybe a few ornamental plants, although some allotments have rules about not growing too many display plants.

I have an allotment, and I don’t think of working on it as “gardening”, mainly because it is not a garden; I am not sure there is a single verb to describe working on the allotment.
    3 words………. Avoiding the wife.

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    3 words………. Avoiding the wife.

We have a large group of allotments to the rear of where we live - often entertaining (including the odd domestic/shouting episode).
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........