closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: How to assess solar quotes?

Hybrid View

I think they’re only viable if fitted along with battery storage and the ability to sell the power back to the grid. The best use case I’ve seen is the Tesla Powerwall and solar panels.

Solar panels on their own have never really been worth it in the long run. Especially if you factor in the environmental impact of production and disposal.

People seem to think that 8 panels on their roof will power the whole house, but the reality is that 8 panels can barely power the fridge.

After much research we have decided to sack this off. Current best guess for pay back for our best installation was 9 years.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    After much research we have decided to sack this off. Current best guess for pay back for our best installation was 9 years.

How much was the quote Chris for what size system, did it include batteries

Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    Hope he doesn’t mind me quoting him, but this was from the air source heat pump thread a week or two ago. This was installed cost as he had solar and batteries fitted.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt8500 View Post
    The install was 21K for roughly 7.5 kw potential, but that was as we went for in roof panels for looks rather than the normal install. Yes 10Kwh battery, but also the auto backup for power cuts (which we get annoyingly frequently).

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Hope he doesn’t mind me quoting him, but this was from the air source heat pump thread a week or two ago. This was installed cost as he had solar and batteries fitted.
    I don’t mind at all. That cost included 3.5K of roof costs by the way, as they are in built panels and we needed the ridge sorting anyway. The maths stand up, given our use during the day.

I would still do again, we went with a solar edge system (recommended by a friend who is a fitter). These are most of the panels (another 2 on a different roof), strange layout as we are having a porch put in the corner.

Will dig it out - from memory this was 14 panels and storage batteries - just shy of £12k installed.

EDIT - just found it:-

18 panels
    5kw battery storage

£13.5k
    Last edited by Chris_in_the_UK; 3rd April 2024 at 19:21.

Will dig it out - from memory this was 14 panels and storage batteries - just shy of £12k installed.

Ive just checked the data on my inverter, we moved in to this house new back in 2019 but the install was done June 18. We've had very little generation since January so the generation to this point is 11500 kw. Works out at roughly 2300 kw generated a year (small array 2.4kw) If you had 14 panels I'm assuming they were 400w so you'd have a 5.6kw array which is double mine. You would be looking at 5kw generation a year easily with the system you were quote.
    Surely you're break even point would be quicker than 9 years?

18 panels - 7.2kw. Almost triple mine.

Ive just checked the data on my inverter, we moved in to this house new back in 2019 but the install was done June 18. We've had very little generation since January so the generation to this point is 11500 kw. Works out at roughly 2300 kw generated a year (small array 2.4kw) If you had 14 panels I'm assuming they were 400w so you'd have a 5.6kw array which is double mine. You would be looking at 5kw generation a year easily with the system you were quote.
    Surely you're break even point would be quicker than 9 years?

18 panels - 7.2kw. Almost triple mine.
    One of the issues we have is (self-inflicted) we have an electric AGA and an installed hot tub. Just re-checked the pages of bumf and their estimated payback point was 8 years (quote was from late 2022).

Obviously beyond year 8 we are then starting to benefit but I am struggling with the principle of paying out that kind of money = I know, first world problem....

One of the issues we have is (self-inflicted) we have an electric AGA and an installed hot tub. Just re-checked the pages of bumf and their estimated payback point was 8 years (quote was from late 2022).

Obviously beyond year 8 we are then starting to benefit but I am struggling with the principle of paying out that kind of money = I know, first world problem....
    Got you, yeh you have some energy munchers right there.