closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2024 Tudor Submariner

The thing is they were all very similar - I never owned more than a couple at a time, never really lost or made any money flipping them back then, and because they were pretty easy to get there was next to no mystique. The triplock crowns felt well engineered but how often do you hand wind or reset an automatic daily wearer? The dials were all very similar, no doubt they were well made but they weren’t noticeably much better than other watches I’d owned. I had a few issues with the service department not fixing issues, things like misaligned date wheels and wonky crowns that didn’t screw in straight, and poor timekeeping. I must have owned about 20 -25 over the years and once the novelty wore off as I say I just got a bit bored with them. Suffice to say I’ve been very surprised at all the fawning and ridiculous waiting lists over the years. And don’t get me started on the modern pricing!!!

Craftsman
    Halcyon days! It sounds good to have experienced and how watch collecting should be. For me (and I assume most of us) the attraction of Rolex is primarily a solid reliable tool watch and yes we fall for the romanticism behind those tool’s intended users, but they’re fundamentally solid watches. Now with all the availability games and silly resale prices and focus on bling, it’s Tudor to me who’ve inherited that mantle.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Toshk View Post
    Not just METAS, 58 and 54 I had for a while were also better. +1 a day. Never slow.
    Never timed any of the METAS or COSC Tudors I’ve owned, usually wearing something different by the time you’d want to check the timing, just pointing out METAS is a standard Rolex don’t offer

Nice to see the gold BB58 doesn’t have rivets. Hopefully that follows the rest of the line at some point.

2024 Tudor Submariner

Unlike their bigger brother, these are already available

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Kenney View Post

That does look great, congrats! Where did you nab that from?

Very nice, looks really good.

That vs a black FXD would be a tough call.

Think it will be a keeper?

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Very nice, looks really good.

That vs a black FXD would be a tough call.

Think it will be a keeper?

Quote Originally Posted by Crammage View Post
    I like black bays because they make me feel slim, but sell every black bay I buy because they’re fat.

Master
    50mm lug to lug is the problem with these. And 22mm lug width. Just a bit too big for what they are.

I’d like to see this in the 58 range. I’d probably buy one.

Quote Originally Posted by Berty234 View Post
    50mm lug to lug is the problem with these. And 22mm lug width. Just a bit too big for what they are.

I’d like to see this in the 58 range. I’d probably buy one.
    In the 58 case it would be great.

Just out of interest what’s the dimensions of a no date Sub to compare.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    The 58 and 54 are better watches proportionally for me and it seems most. But the sterile oyster 41 is a good offering and getting very close to compete with a modern no date sub. I mean METAS is superior to COSC so on certification it’s already better.

Master

You didn’t hang about!

Forgot you had the ceramic as well, still my favourite watch I don’t wear as become a slave to Apple. Inspired to wear it this weekend and miss all my notifications!

Hope you’re well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tried it on today, didn’t buy it but still tempted. They had all three in but I only tried on the oyster and rubber.

You can’t use the rubber without the clasp so the pair comes out to £570 or so meaning if you bought the oyster and rubber after you save £10 vs buying the rubber and buying the oyster bracelet after. I think £4.4k all in.

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    You didn’t hang about!

Forgot you had the ceramic as well, still my favourite watch I don’t wear as become a slave to Apple. Inspired to wear it this weekend and miss all my notifications!

Hope you’re well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Apologies; I’ve been away for a few days.

I didn’t buy it. The photo was from another forum. It was just to show that unlike Rolex, Tudor actually sells watches they release.

Tried it on today, didn’t buy it but still tempted. They had all three in but I only tried on the oyster and rubber.

You can’t use the rubber without the clasp so the pair comes out to £570 or so meaning if you bought the oyster and rubber after you save £10 vs buying the rubber and buying the oyster bracelet after. I think £4.4k all in.

The dial- package looks kinda well a bit small on you, for a purposeful dive type watch, just to me, and obvs not seeking to influence your, anyone else's view or opinion. Maybe the angles are different, or it´s wrist size, but with respect it looks a better fit on JK...OBVS all beauty is in the beholders eye.
    Last edited by Passenger; 20th April 2024 at 10:15.

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    The dial- package looks kinda well a bit small on you, for a purposeful dive type watch, just to me, and obvs not seeking to influence your, anyone else's view or opinion. Maybe the angles are different, or it´s wrist size, but with respect it looks a better fit on JK...OBVS all beauty is in the beholders eye.
    It’s an odd angle maybe, I was trying to get a picture without 100 reflections in the crystal. Bright lights of the store.

Tempted to go back and buy it today but at almost 4k it’s a bit close to an OP41 for 5.5k. No discounts but you might get a Tudor umbrella or hat for your troubles.

It’s an odd angle maybe, I was trying to get a picture without 100 reflections in the crystal. Bright lights of the store.

Tempted to go back and buy it today but at almost 4k it’s a bit close to an OP41 for 5.5k. No discounts but you might get a Tudor umbrella or hat for your troubles.

Yup could well just be the angle as you say, W.

Grand Master
    Still one of Tudors best.....imo.

Sent from my SM-A125F using Tapatalk

One of Tudors best bracelets yeah

Grand Master
    One of Tudors best bracelets yeah
    Yes it was.

Master

Would just wait to pick up a used one?

Quote Originally Posted by gaurav_tzuk View Post
    Would just wait to pick up a used one?
    I think so. It’s a nice watch I just couldn’t hand my card over for £3.9k.

If Ernest Jones still existed and I could get >8% off buying a gift card first I would have had it.

Blog Entries

Looks a good fit.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

If Ernest Jones still existed and I could get >8% off buying a gift card first I would have had it.
    You had me Googling to see if Ernest Jones had gone into administration or something!

c. £300 would really make a difference to your decision making process? Did you just not love it as much as you hoped you would?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    You had me Googling to see if Ernest Jones had gone into administration or something!
    I think WoS bought them. The shop I usually buy from was an Ernest jones but was a goldsmiths when I went in. Same people working there.

Quote Originally Posted by boris9 View Post
    c. £300 would really make a difference to your decision making process? Did you just not love it as much as you hoped you would?

I only say 8% as that’s the lowest I ever saw it.

I bought the burgundy BB41 last year a few weeks after watches and wonders, last nine days and lost £650. A £300 saving on that would have been nice.

I only say 8% as that’s the lowest I ever saw it.

I bought the burgundy BB41 last year a few weeks after watches and wonders, last nine days and lost £650. A £300 saving on that would have been nice.
    Got it. Makes sense.

These do look lovely but £4k?!

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    These do look lovely but £4k?!
    Reassuringly expensive?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Reassuringly expensive?
    At that price Tudor is no longer the poor man’s Rolex, now they are the impatient man’s Rolex as at least you don’t have to wait to buy one …

Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    At that price Tudor is no longer the poor man’s Rolex, now they are the impatient man’s Rolex as at least you don’t have to wait to buy one …
    Yup pretty much sums it up I agree, clever, very clever.

Bang on the money - so to speak! For someone like me, Tudor was potentially attainable but not any more. Discounts on Tudor in-demand models will be a non-starter but I suspect 10% could be achieved on, for example, Breitling. At around £3250 I'd buy the Super Ocean 44 every day of the week over that £4k Tudor.

Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post

Bang on the money - so to speak! For someone like me, Tudor was potentially attainable but not any more. Discounts on Tudor in-demand models will be a non-starter but I suspect 10% could be achieved on, for example, Breitling. At around £3250 I'd buy the Super Ocean 44 every day of the week over that £4k Tudor.
    Yeah but… the SO44 is £4450, on the bracelet. 10% off puts it at the same price as the Tudor, and it has an SW200. Which is fine, if you plan to get it serviced independently, but if you’re buying new, that’s probably not at the front of your mind. And 44 is significantly bigger.

I’m not sure the two are comparable but I’d rather have the Tudor.

The SO44 is £3500 on bracelet which is why I used it as the example: Superocean Automatic 44 Stainless steel - Black A173678A1B1A1 | Breitling GB

Quote Originally Posted by Idontgram View Post
    Yeah but… the SO44 is £4450, on the bracelet. 10% off puts it at the same price as the Tudor, and it has an SW200. Which is fine, if you plan to get it serviced independently, but if you’re buying new, that’s probably not at the front of your mind. And 44 is significantly bigger.

I’m not sure the two are comparable but I’d rather have the Tudor.

I didn’t realise you meant the old model.

The current one is more expensive.

https://www.breitling.com/gb-en/watc...2/A173765A1B1/

Fair enough, it’s just personal opinion. I’d choose the black bay over either of those Breitling but in real terms, all 3 are too big for my taste.

Sorry I didn't realise there was a new model. They're hideous IMO.

Fair enough, it’s just personal opinion. I’d choose the black bay over either of those Breitling but in real terms, all 3 are too big for my taste.

Sorry I didn't realise there was a new model. They're hideous IMO.
    I'm a fan of Breitling. Although I think Breitling hit the sweet spot with earlier designs of the SO, I don't hate the current 42mm version...it's just big and bold. I do prefer the Heritage versions though...more refined and a better movement. I'd have either over the 41mm BB Tudor.

Went back in today and got it. Might pop down to RSJ and add the rubber at some point. Definitely an improvement but still definitely a Tudor.

Blog Entries
    Went back in today and got it. Might pop down to RSJ and add the rubber at some point. Definitely an improvement but still definitely a Tudor.
    Good choice! It looks excellent. And the less we look at watches as investments and more like man (/ woman) jewellery the better.

Hypothetical question: If you could buy the Tudor Sub or the 124060 - ignore the price - which would you choose?
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Good choice! It looks excellent. And the less we look at watches as investments and more like man (/ woman) jewellery the better.

Hypothetical question: If you could buy the Tudor Sub or the 124060 - ignore the price - which would you choose?
    Thanks Martyn. Thought I’d give it a go.

I would choose a 124060 over it, no question, but I would choose a 124060 over any Tudor.

What I really want is a black dial FXD on bracelet.

Excellent.
    Looks good.

There is something about this new smaller model that jars for me in terms of proportions.
    Maybe the indices are too large and away from the dial edge, or the gap between the outer second scale and the dial edge or the bezel interior, but the dial just looks too small in the case.
    I am not finding the proportions at all attractive.

Nice pick up. Tried it on earlier today in Goldsmiths Bluewater than had both bracelet versions in.

Was mightily impressed, considering on paper the dimensions don't work for me, can see this being a good seller and for many a one watch (for those who cannot get a Rolex Sub), actually felt smaller than a newer sub I recently tried on.

Coincidentally was looking at the BB54 on rubber, (as I want this for my BB58) and I cannot fathom why there is such a love in for this one, felt very small and not helped by the smaller crown, also not keen on the bezel hashes - seemed blocky.

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    There is something about this new smaller model that jars for me in terms of proportions.
    Maybe the indices are too large and away from the dial edge, or the gap between the outer second scale and the dial edge or the bezel interior, but the dial just looks too small in the case.
    I am not finding the proportions at all attractive.
    This is what I was trying to allude to a few posts ago, maybe it is the angle of the pics, the dial appears too small, kinda diminutive to my eye too.

Might be the domed crystal exaggerating the rehaut, not sure. Maybe as it’s no longer faux gilt it’s easier to see?

This is black bay number 6 for me, possibly 7, so a big fan of wanting to like them then selling and slating so we’ll see what happens in a few days.

Is this the same case as the burgundy bezel/jubilee slightly slimmer cased Black Bay they bought out last year? That watch looked to have much better proportions than the pictures I’ve seen of this new black version. I’ve seen one of the burgundy bezelled ones in an AD and they looked fine, I’m guessing it’s the pictures?

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    There is something about this new smaller model that jars for me in terms of proportions. ...

Same. To my eye the handset looks like it's been taken from a larger watch - the hour and minute hands are both too big, and emphasise the sphinctery congestion of the diddy little dial...

Could just be me...

For me, Breitling are not even close to the quality and value offered by Tudor.

Master

That’s an absolute beauty. I tried one on in the local boutique today, and it was all i could do to keep my CC in the pocket! Only thing that stopped me was already having 2 Tudors in my small collection, a third would be to much. This leaves me having to sell at least one of them, and I REALLY like them!! First world problems.