timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Bremont - what have they done?

Hybrid View

Some pretty spicy comments in the New Releases thread

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt.D View Post
    Some pretty spicy comments in the New Releases thread
    I thought it must have been mentioned somewhere, but I think it’s not just the new releases - it’s the whole shockingly bad rebrand.
    Maybe Bremont just decided that they ‘wanted to get the badge in’.

Craftsman
    Terrible rebranding in my opinion, it looks super generic almost microbrand-esque.

The new models dont appeal to me either, the Terra Nova reminds me of some of the Hamilton watches and the Supermarine is a Breitling wannabe.

Oh dear, oh dear.

Bremont's operating profit has been negative since 2015. The new CEO had previous hinted at what was to come:

"The whole entry part of this new line is below 3,000 pounds, between 2,500 to 3,000 pounds, which for me is where, in this premium segment, the soft belly of the market is. This is where consumers are. I love this segment, it’s difficult, it’s competitive — for less money, you have to do everything that more expensive brands do with the same level of sophistication, sexiness and precision."

I suspect with the downturn in the maket, they are trying to pitch into what they see as the safer bet and try and take some of the Tudor marketshare.

I've never been a Bremont fan as I think they marketed themselves out of nowhere, but I can see the appeal of the altp and MB2. The new models look crap though and risk devaluing the whole brand.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Bremont's operating profit has been negative since 2015.
    to be fair, operating profit is irrelevant for a growing company with investors on board. Arguably showing a profit isn't a good idea as you have to pay tax on whatever you make so better to reinvest that money if you can and if you want to grow. Remember all the media reporting on the tech companies who claimed tiny profits to avoid paying tax.

the new CEO had indeed wanted to push toward the lower cost sector of the market which I personally thought was a bad idea but probably made sense financially as it's where the volume sales are. I doubt it had anything to do with the downturn in the market though as it's the same principle that he used in his previous roles (apparently)

Craftsman
    I don't mind the re-brand itself, the old logo was a bit naff anyway.
    Moving away from the unique car design though makes the new Supermarine a backward step even though I think the dial is an improvement.
    The Terra Nova does nothing for me either, though again the dial is to my liking, just not the rest

That alt1-p is just the ticket, need to pick one up at some point.

I’m unconvinced by what I’ve seen which is a shame because I was interested in what was coming. I have an MB2, the brand stuff that irks many passes me by so I’ve always been up for buying another. I’ve always liked the trip tick case design too.

It certainly needed some intervention. The early collections were very attractive tool watches in my view. I started to lose interest with aged lume, vintage like details and always a minor detail here and there on every new watch that made it a deal breaker. The range became vast. That said, I also think there was increasing refinement in the execution, the early stuff was quite simplistic, even if that’s what appealed to me.

That seemed to be acknowledged as part of the relaunch so I was hoping to see a return to a more coherent design, slimmer collection and ditch the vintage but keep things like the base design, which I think really differentiates.

Maybe the new designs will sit along side some of the traditional designs but that won’t address the needless diversity in the range. Or they’ll drop that and end up with something quite generic. Maybe generic will sell better which after all is what it’s all about.

So, new stuff not for me but still interested in where this goes for now.
    Last edited by matt74; 9th April 2024 at 20:05.