closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: San Martin vs Rolex

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    I haven't owned a San Martin but have owned several nh35 powered Chinese watches (from companies half or even a third of the price of San Martin) and the timekeeping on all of them has been within a couple of seconds a day. Far better than a typical Seiko. Either these companies regulate the movements carefully, which seems unlikely or Seiko send out their unbranded nh movements better set up than the branded ones they put in their own watches.
    Same experience with Nh movements...never had a Seiko for comparison purposes, though bought my Dad one.

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Same experience with Nh movements...never had a Seiko for comparison purposes, though bought my Dad one.
    Total crapshoot with Seiko's P. My Alpinist is about 5 seconds a day slow but that's a higher grade movement than a nh35 and a £2700 (rrp) watch. I've had Steeldive (£60-70), Pagani (£40-60), and Tandorio (£30-40) Chinese watches with nh35 that do better than that.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    which seems unlikely or Seiko send out their unbranded nh movements better set up than the branded ones they put in their own watches.
    Unbranded NH35 movements are definitely NOT regulated to a better standard than Seiko branded ones. The watch manufacturer is going to the trouble of regulating them properly, which any manufacturer should do.

Contrary to popular myth you cannot simply fit a new movement to a watch and expect it to run to time, some degree of regulation is highly likely, and in the case of Seiko/NH the beat error will almost certainly need correcting. Regulating a Seiko/NH takes around 20 minutes, even if you're used to them it still takes several goes to get them right owing to the lack of a fine adjustment for the regulator.

I treated my own Seiko, a Seiko 5 7S26 that's 20 years old to an upgrade by fitting an NH35 movement, thus providing hacking and hand-winding. This needed some adjustment and regulation but it now keeps time to with a couple of secs/day provided it runs in a high state of wind (v. important with Seikos). The 'upgrade' was necessary, I`d nicked the balance out of my old watch to use in a repair job!

Seiko/NH movements always benefit from being regulated and adjusted carefully, if only they had a fine adjuster for the regulator (ETA style) they would be far easier to set up. One benefit is the sheer robustness, they don't suffer from wear in the way that some far more expensive movements do.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    The watch manufacturer is going to the trouble of regulating them properly, which any manufacturer should do.
    That's incredible considering some of these watches can land on your doorstep for less than £40 including delivery and vat! Guess Chinese labour rates help with that though.

Master
    Maybe the genie out of the bottle. At last cheap homages/fakes from China can really create the engineered, manufactured finish that buyers have accepted from the real deal for all these years.

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

Oh, I thought by your comments that you actually liked the submariner. If you don’t like it then it’s a moot point anyway, just don’t buy one.

I was on a list for an Airking and didn’t have any of the salesperson issues you mention. I decided against it in the end as I’ve got both a 16570 and 16710 that I don’t really wear these days. When I do though, I treat them like any other watch and don’t take special care of them. But then I didn’t buy them as an investment, I bought them to wear because I liked them.

I probably paid some of someone’s contribution to marketing but as I only paid £3.5k each for them, it wasn’t as much as buying a new one today.

Ahh nothing beats that feeling…

Are San Martin expected to run slow after a while? Similar to some superlative originals?

And just die after a nothing much impact?

Quote Originally Posted by Toshk View Post
    Are San Martin expected to run slow after a while? Similar to some superlative originals?
    And just die after a nothing much impact?
    #SignificantSilence

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks View Post
    I thought the investment thread was in G&D and this is watch talk.
    Yes, I thought the same.

A lot of people with more money than sense seem to buy Rolex, odd that.
    Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    Quite so!

Oh... But wait...

...and this from a source that is strongly motivated to hype prices...
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Blog Entries
    I'm just a jealous guy....
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    #SignificantSilence

Cant answer Tosh's questions im afraid.
    I had a 32 calibre SD drop to -5 once, that was almost a crisis but with proper counselling and Kleenex I survived.
    No deaths through impact, and my DJ and 16610 don't deviate so I'll probably not touch them until the clocks change.
    If I ever have a problem though, I'll be sure to inform the detractors immediately.

Start from last post:

32xx movement problem poll and data thread
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

Start from last post:

32xx movement problem poll and data thread
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app
    You have to log in and I’m no longer a member, what does it say.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    You have to log in and I’m no longer a member, what does it say.
    In short stick with the 31 cals as some of the new 32 movements can have an intermittent amp issue.
    Youre golden with a 4130 though.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    In short stick with the 31 cals as some of the new 32 movements can have an intermittent amp issue.
    Youre golden with a 4130 though.
    Thanks

One of many many.

I've got two watches with that movement in, both seem fine, what are you supposed to do?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    I've got two watches with that movement in, both seem fine, what are you supposed to do?
    I think the thrust is that you should buy a San Martin instead.

Never tried / owned San Martin and probably never will, but have had quite a few Rolex and can speak from personal experience that 32xx calibre is not as superlative as they and a lot on here like to market it. Or could It’d been bad luck? 10-11 times

Blog Entries
    Never tried / owned San Martin and probably never will, but have had quite a few Rolex and can speak from personal experience that 32xx calibre is not as superlative as they and a lot on here like to market it. Or could It’d been bad luck? 10-11 times
    Wow, 10-11 Rolexes.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Wow, 10-11 Rolexes.
    4 Submariners, 2 Explorer 36, 2 Explorer 40, Explorer II and 2 DJ.

The last Submariner died after I dropped it from no more than meter hight. Onto a wooded floor. No marks whatsoever just stopped after an hour. They fixed it no questions asked, but I didn’t bother anymore.

Blog Entries
    4 Submariners, 2 Explorer 36, 2 Explorer 40, Explorer II and 2 DJ.

The last Submariner died after I dropped it from no more than meter hight. Onto a wooded floor. No marks whatsoever just stopped after an hour. They fixed it no questions asked, but I didn’t bother anymore.
    How many of the 11 did you have problems with? You said bad luck 10-11 times?

Since they fixed it was it so bad?

Only Rolex I really like is the Submariner. The one I kept the longest went back to RSC three times I think. All they do is regulate but tell you full service had been done etc. At least they polished the case free of charge at the end. Helped with the sale as it looked like new.

The last one I dropped and damaged just after a week. Then sold as well after they fixed it.

The Explorers all ran 2-3 seconds slow from new, so expected to get worse. Sold very shortly after purchase.

The rest also ran slow, but not on the wrist. 3-4 seconds unworn in the box. Only cared to check out of curiosity.

Just read the thread on TRF. Plenty feedback from all over.

The reason I asked the question is I have five, until recently it was nine, none of them have ever misbehaved, pick them up and the start, leave them on the side and they run down as they should, saying that if it were two seconds a day or three, I wouldn't notice

I have always had the attitude that if I needed accuracy wear a G-SHOCK or look at my phone, now it's moved on to an Apple Watch

I nearly said none of them have ever missed a beat, then remembered where I am and thought better of it
    Last edited by adrianw; 30th April 2024 at 18:55.

Blog Entries
    Only Rolex I really like is the Submariner. The one I kept the longest went back to RSC three times I think. All they do is regulate but tell you full service had been done etc. At least they polished the case free of charge at the end. Helped with the sale as it looked like new.

The last one I dropped and damaged just after a week. Then sold as well after they fixed it.

The Explorers all ran 2-3 seconds slow from new, so expected to get worse. Sold very shortly after purchase.

The rest also ran slow, but not on the wrist. 3-4 seconds unworn in the box. Only cared to check out of curiosity.

Just read the thread on TRF. Plenty feedback from all over.
    So have you have had watches since that run better than 2-3 and 3-4 seconds I presume? San Martin perhaps, or other brands? Did you keep them running for a long time 'in the box' running at 3-4 seconds?

I'm interested to know which brands would be better at timekeeping than my Rolex?

So have you have had watches since that run better than 2-3 and 3-4 seconds I presume? San Martin perhaps, or other brands? Did you keep them running for a long time 'in the box' running at 3-4 seconds?

I'm interested to know which brands would be better at timekeeping than my Rolex?
    Its not about what others are accurate to.

My argument is that Rolex are fully aware of the 32xx issue, but prefer to treat customers like fools. Almost completely denying there is a problem with their Superlative Chronometers. 3-4 seconds slow eventually drops to 6-8 seconds. Often more.

And also, Rolex was the only watch that stopped after a small impact. And I have dropped many.

The closest I ever got to an honest answer was - yeah some do develop an amplitude problem, but because people don’t know how to wind their watches properly.

Craftsman
    On a more abstract level the timekeeping aspect itself wouldn't be that bothersome to me but low amplitude just means you have something in there somewhere (due to whatever, could be multiple factors) that isn't quite right and it should probably be looked at.
    Last edited by neuman356; 30th April 2024 at 21:41.

Blog Entries
    Its not about what others are accurate to.

My argument is that Rolex are fully aware of the 32xx issue, but prefer to treat customers like fools. Almost completely denying there is a problem with their Superlative Chronometers. 3-4 seconds slow eventually drops to 6-8 seconds. Often more.

And also, Rolex was the only watch that stopped after a small impact. And I have dropped many.

The closest I ever got to an honest answer was - yeah some do develop an amplitude problem, but because people don’t know how to wind their watches properly.
    You didn’t answer my question. You said…
    “The Explorers all ran 2-3 seconds slow from new, so expected to get worse. Sold very shortly after purchase.

The rest also ran slow, but not on the wrist. 3-4 seconds unworn in the box. Only cared to check out of curiosity.”

I asked which watches you owned which were more accurate than that?

And if you expected them to deteriorate did they all have the movements that you claim are affected with the problems?

Master

Omega. I'll get my coat.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jk103 View Post
    Omega. I'll get my coat.
    I'll remember that when I'm wearing one of mine.

Blog Entries
    Presumably ‘fanboy’ is some kind of Rolex insult. Am I asking too many questions perhaps?
    So you bought 8 in the last 4 years with the 3231 movement which you said were losing between 1-2 and 3-4 seconds?
    Did you ever mention the terrible 1-2 second and 3-4 second timekeeping on the 8 Rolex you bought in the last 4 years before? Just wondering if it's something that you only realised was happening only recently?

You are fanboy aren’t you? Don’t you know what calibres they are?

Eight of those glorious rolex I acquired over the last four years were the same 3231. All losing time out of the box!

Ah! It seems they’ve abandoned the + -2 pledge:

So its now a rolex certification

Blog Entries
    You are fanboy aren’t you? Don’t you know what calibres they are?

Eight of those glorious rolex I acquired over the last four years were the same 3231. All losing time out of the box!

Presumably ‘fanboy’ is some kind of Rolex insult. Am I asking too many questions perhaps?
    So you bought 8 in the last 4 years with the 3231 movement which you said were losing between 1-2 and 3-4 seconds?

The +/-2 spd pledge is still present under the precision heading on the 'movement' drop down.

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    The best, they are just the bestest of the bestest and I'm not taken in by any of the blurp, you are all just jealous, there's never ever a watch running better than a Rolex, Rolex is god, god is the best, try beating that!
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Blog Entries
    The best, they are just the bestest of the bestest and I'm not taken in by any of the blurp, you are all just jealous, there's never ever a watch running better than a Rolex, Rolex is god, god is the best, try beating that!
    Are you ok?

Various posters on this thread saying that superlative time keeping doesn't matter to them. Each to their own but I completely disagree. One of the glorious things about Rolex is that, in my experience, they are fantastic time keepers. I'm one of those who obsesses over timekeeping and I expect watches to perform within their stated spec. Good timekeeping is one of the reasons to spend more on a mechanical watch imo.

Anyhoo, how important or otherwise timekeeping is to the wearer is irrelevant when considering the 32xx movement issue. The fact is, if there's a problem Rolex needs to acknowledge it and be transparent. These watches are expensive and if there's an inherent design problem with the current movement it's just not acceptable for Rolex to ignore it. I can understand why used dealers are remaining silent on the issue as it will impact their business but I'd expect more watch commentators to have at least acknowledged it.

Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    Various posters on this thread saying that superlative time keeping doesn't matter to them. Each to their own but I completely disagree. One of the glorious things about Rolex is that, in my experience, they are fantastic time keepers. I'm one of those who obsesses over timekeeping and I expect watches to perform within their stated spec. Good timekeeping is one of the reasons to spend more on a mechanical watch imo.
    But if time keeping is the most important part of wearing a watch, then we all should be wearing G Shocks, far more accurate then any other watch I've owned?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wildheart View Post
    But if time keeping is the most important part of wearing a watch, then we all should be wearing G Shocks, far more accurate then any other watch I've owned?
    I was going to say that we can't do that because they aren't expensive / collectible / twatty enough to satisfy us watch nerds. Then I remembered you can spend £5,700 on a 40th anniversary MRG-B2000SG-1ADR. Definitely worth it though as "This symbolism of strength and functional beauty is equally true of the samurai warrior’s kabuto helmet....the bezel captures the maedate crest with a ferocious tiger design". It's surely only my own ignorance that makes it look pretty similar to the ones that cost £200.

Master
    Have this ol' Steiny Ocean Vintage, ETA2824, keeps time when wearing over a couple of days to roughly 1 seconds per day.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nealywheelie View Post
    Have this ol' Steiny Ocean Vintage, ETA2824, keeps time when wearing over a couple of days to roughly 1 seconds per day.

Been this for 5 years, amazing IMHO. My Tudor BB with Breitling manufacture, calibre BO1 looses 8 secs per day.

Its all about the AD experience . That special feeling when you get the call

San Martin vs Rolex

Less is more
    Last edited by Toshk; 30th April 2024 at 23:03.

Perceived luxury is all. Emotions over facts.

Perceived luxury is all. Emotions over facts.
    Gotta admire the way they created the lists and the pre spend on lesser models to build the sense of value, the achievement of attaining the desired model. The psychology in play, to shape and model customer behaviour. Very clever, genius?

Impossible before Social Media.