closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Clarkson's Farm 3

Hybrid View

I’m up to date with it so far too, I still can’t believe how petty the local council are being, Nimby-ism at its worst. He should run as a councillor 😁
    Cheers..
    Jase

Blog Entries
    I finally found time to watch 2 episodes. Perhaps it's because I'm living among farmers in my hamlet, but I found the episode with Andy Cato's regenerative farming exceptionally interesting! It's done here as well. My neighour down the road has farmland next to our plot and she's participating in a project regarding grassland. Herbs and flower species mixed with grass seed add nutrition to the soil so that she doesn't have to use fertilizer. Last year was her first test year and she was really happy with the results.

Then, the pigs... My other neighbour has Tamworth pigs. A breed that lives in the forrest*). He needs 3 pigs per 2 acres to keep his woodland 'clean'. Clarkson will find out that when his pigs hit the bramble wall, they'll eat it all. As in: eat the brambles completely. Nothing is left. As in: absolutely nothing. I don't know how these pigs manage to eat the thorny brambles, but they eat it all.

Re-reading this, I can only conclude that Clarkson puts farming -again- in the spotlight.

*) His pigs broke through the fence and walked over to our part of the woods. No way that he was able to get them back into his garden. So he quickly put stakes (plastic poles) into the ground and fenced them off with a wire and electric power. The first thing? One of the pigs touched deliberately the wire to check the power! Not enough power = a free walk. And yes, the escaped.

Luckily for my pig hunting neighbour (a la Clarkson!), the local vet who lives a little to the north, drove by with his kids on their way to the dentist. Norbert, the vet got out of the van with: "Need help?" Obviously, yes... The second question: "Sedation or a kill shot? I have a tranquilizer gun in the car!"

He used the tranquilizer gun and my neighbour was able to hoist the sedated pigs in his horse trailer..

When I want to pick up a log, I need two hands. Those pigs move the wood with simply a nod of their head!

Armed vet...

A big haul after the pigs dropped on the ground.

Last edited by thieuster; 6th May 2024 at 22:01.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    I finally found time to watch 2 episodes.
    Wait until you see episode 4 - Clarkson and his other half are really put through the mill by the pigs.

Kaleb on the hovercraft (and off it) cracked me up

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    My other neighbour has Tamworth pigs.

Those are Tamworth crosses (not sure with what). Pure Tamworths have a short bristle coat, not a long one like that, and they are massive. Mangalitsas maybe???

Blog Entries
    I don’t know. All I was told is that these are Tamworths. At least, they’re a friendly bunch. My neighbour has dug out a pond for them and a nice ‘stay’ (is that the correct word?) for them for the night. However, when I walk the dog around 10pm, they’re always asleep at the spot where, the next morning, the early sun hits the ground and thus those pigs. They enjoy the first light of the day.

The 'shocking truth' about Kaleb (from his own mouth). Very interesting watch:

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post

Great video. Kaleb's interactions with Jeremy are comedy gold; brilliant programme.

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=hogthrob;6395946]The 'shocking truth' about Kaleb (from his own mouth). Very interesting watch:

Thanks for posting this! Caleb sounds to be an 'adapt and overcome' person. Setting up his business, making money, helping his mom. Obviously, I don't know Clarkson in real life, but I guess that he -in his own way- admires Caleb for who he is and and what he does.

(A little off topic: Caleb's curriculum is again a good example that schools aren't for everybody coming from the keyboard of a retired teacher).

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post

Thanks for posting, I didnt realise how tough his early life was, working at 12 its like a Victorian novel. His entrepreneurial spirit is strong though

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Thanks for posting, I didnt realise how tough his early life was, working at 12 its like a Victorian novel. His entrepreneurial spirit is strong though
    Kinda when you really want to be exposed to the reality of farm life ie the formative years...sometimes the stock dies, must go to slaughter, also the stink and muck the beasts generate etc, can't afford to be squeamish...My Dad in his early teens for pocket money used to help a local farmer with the pig slaughtering among other jobs, relates how they'd pump piggys legs back and forth to help the blood fully drain...toughening gig at any age I'd imagine much less as a kid...Also helps build the sort've muscle and constitution for putting in a hard days labour, harvest times were looong days especially, though that's somewhat lessened as a prerequisite with mechanisation.
    Last edited by Passenger; 15th May 2024 at 11:04.