closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Clarkson's Farm 3

Hybrid View

Blog Entries
    I don’t know. All I was told is that these are Tamworths. At least, they’re a friendly bunch. My neighbour has dug out a pond for them and a nice ‘stay’ (is that the correct word?) for them for the night. However, when I walk the dog around 10pm, they’re always asleep at the spot where, the next morning, the early sun hits the ground and thus those pigs. They enjoy the first light of the day.

The 'shocking truth' about Kaleb (from his own mouth). Very interesting watch:

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post

Great video. Kaleb's interactions with Jeremy are comedy gold; brilliant programme.

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=hogthrob;6395946]The 'shocking truth' about Kaleb (from his own mouth). Very interesting watch:

Thanks for posting this! Caleb sounds to be an 'adapt and overcome' person. Setting up his business, making money, helping his mom. Obviously, I don't know Clarkson in real life, but I guess that he -in his own way- admires Caleb for who he is and and what he does.

(A little off topic: Caleb's curriculum is again a good example that schools aren't for everybody coming from the keyboard of a retired teacher).

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post

Thanks for posting, I didnt realise how tough his early life was, working at 12 its like a Victorian novel. His entrepreneurial spirit is strong though

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Thanks for posting, I didnt realise how tough his early life was, working at 12 its like a Victorian novel. His entrepreneurial spirit is strong though
    Kinda when you really want to be exposed to the reality of farm life ie the formative years...sometimes the stock dies, must go to slaughter, also the stink and muck the beasts generate etc, can't afford to be squeamish...My Dad in his early teens for pocket money used to help a local farmer with the pig slaughtering among other jobs, relates how they'd pump piggys legs back and forth to help the blood fully drain...toughening gig at any age I'd imagine much less as a kid...Also helps build the sort've muscle and constitution for putting in a hard days labour, harvest times were looong days especially, though that's somewhat lessened as a prerequisite with mechanisation.
    Last edited by Passenger; 15th May 2024 at 11:04.

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    My Dad in his early teens for pocket money used to help a local farmer with the pig slaughtering among other jobs, relates how they'd pump piggys legs back and forth to help the blood fully drain...toughening gig at any age I'd imagine much less as a kid.
    I did this myself P at a local farm, wouldn't say my early teens, more like 15-16. Shocking the first time the travelling butcher bangs the pig between the eyes with a lump hammer then slits its throat. I'd forgotten the leg pumping bit you mention, brings it all back. We could only kill one pig a day, the others knew what was up for the rest of the day and were unapproachable.
    The sheep were different, with them being far less intelligent you could butcher a few of them in a day, the kill method was quite different but the butchering afterwards took a similar amount of time.
    It taught me that when I eat meat I know where it comes from, and that if needed I can do the necessary myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    I did this myself P at a local farm, wouldn't say my early teens, more like 15-16. Shocking the first time the travelling butcher bangs the pig between the eyes with a lump hammer then slits its throat. I'd forgotten the leg pumping bit you mention, brings it all back. We could only kill one pig a day, the others knew what was up for the rest of the day and were unapproachable.
    The sheep were different, with them being far less intelligent you could butcher a few of them in a day, the kill method was quite different but the butchering afterwards took a similar amount of time.
    It taught me that when I eat meat I know where it comes from, and that if needed I can do the necessary myself.
    My Mum´s side used to keep a pig at home until the day for the slaughter man, then they´d all gather to watch, then turn it into ham, bacon, sausages etc. As you note R Certainly helps to bring an understanding where- how, our meat comes from.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    My Mum´s side used to keep a pig at home until the day for the slaughter man, then they´d all gather to watch, then turn it into ham, bacon, sausages etc. As you note R Certainly helps to bring an understanding where- how, our meat comes from.
    My dad was in the navy during WW2, after demob in 1946 aged 23 him and a friend decided to keep a pig in the back garden, along with geese and hens. Meat was rationed so clearly it made sense. After fattening the pig up it went to slaughter, suffice to say dad and his mate did OK out of the deal.......I never learned the details! Flushed with the success of the venture they acquired a second pig and things didn`t go so well, my dad's version of events differed from my uncle's, both are long dead so I don`t know where the truth lies, according to dad the neighbours got jealous and reported him to the sanitary inspector who made him get rid of the pig without delay. My uncle claims the pig was the runt of a litter and wasn`t in good health, he claims dad got fooled into buying a wrong 'un, but either way piggy had to go prematurely and financial loss was incurred.

That was the end of dad's pig-farming venture. Different times, different values, if you wanted meat on your plate it didn`t pay to be squeamish.