closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cyber truck

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Which it will not IMHO - certainly not in Ford's case or many others. The uptake is slowing for fairly obvious reasons and strangling the ICE route will do little to change these.
    If he was going to sell 10k ICE and 2k EV, and instead only supply 5000 ICE, his ratio will have doubled. It doesn’t matter if the 5000 other buyers go elsewhere, he is trying to avoid the fine.
    Because he knows he can sell the other 5k on another market, Ford as a business loses a bit but gain good marks for not being fined.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Ford do seem to have an incredibly small range of cars at the moment and not a single EV I’d buy. The Mach e looks good but too expensive imho. It’s a shame as my Fiesta ST is just about a year old and has been faultless - just had its first service and my local dealer were really excellent throughout. If they released an electric Fiesta I’d be all over it tbh, I had a Puma for a short time and it’s basically a wobbly Fiesta on stilts. I see they are going to release an electric version based on the existing ICE platform- no thanks. Seems really odd to have ditched their biggest seller and then ignored that segment. Whoever makes that kind of weird decision deserves to fail tbh.

I’ve been intrigued by the all-electric Ford Explorer adverts on the telly. Careering across the desert, leaving a sandstorm in its wake. Plenty of sun, but what’s the charger network like in the Sahara and wildernesses? 100 miles exploring, then back home for tea.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Maybe they just need some interesting or well made cars.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by stooo View Post
    Maybe they just need some interesting or well made cars.
    This, really. People don’t need to worry about Ford, it’s not like they worry about us.

Ford will have the EVs coming. They also, apparently, don't intend to stop making ICE cars. Remember SUVs are more profitable than hatchbacks and saloons and it works two ways for the manufacturer: more money for them and the bulk is better for EV batteries to sit in the floor, plus SUVs are heavier so can have the beefed up suspension and so on to accommodate the extra weight of the batteries.

Thing is though, they only have this option. The whole EV market in the UK is subdued so they can't sell cars no one wants unless they price them so low they completely screw themselves. The UK government, as I said on the other thread about EVs, has made this deadline while not supporting the industry. We're in a sitution where we really could see cheap Chinese cars flooding the market and the mainstream manufactures we know disappearing or, in the case of Mercedes and co, going sharply upmarket so something like a 5 Series EV will cost you £100k.

What else can Ford do? If the local market says 50% of Ford cars sold in the UK must be EV by 2028 or whatever it is, they'll have to restrict sales of ICE and take a big hit, but a smaller hit than paying fines on each ICE car they'd sell over the limit if they didn't do something about it. That or I guess try to enter into some kind of agreement with a Chinese EV firm where the latter gets the use of Ford's dealer network in exchange for branding the cars Fords.

Of course it could just be posturing. Sort this out, Labour government, or think of the job cuts.
    "A man of little significance"

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    Ford will have the EVs coming. They also, apparently, don't intend to stop making ICE cars. Remember SUVs are more profitable than hatchbacks and saloons and it works two ways for the manufacturer: more money for them and the bulk is better for EV batteries to sit in the floor, plus SUVs are heavier so can have the beefed up suspension and so on to accommodate the extra weight of the batteries.

Thing is though, they only have this option. The whole EV market in the UK is subdued so they can't sell cars no one wants unless they price them so low they completely screw themselves. The UK government, as I said on the other thread about EVs, has made this deadline while not supporting the industry. We're in a sitution where we really could see cheap Chinese cars flooding the market and the mainstream manufactures we know disappearing or, in the case of Mercedes and co, going sharply upmarket so something like a 5 Series EV will cost you £100k.

What else can Ford do? If the local market says 50% of Ford cars sold in the UK must be EV by 2028 or whatever it is, they'll have to restrict sales of ICE and take a big hit, but a smaller hit than paying fines on each ICE car they'd sell over the limit if they didn't do something about it. That or I guess try to enter into some kind of agreement with a Chinese EV firm where the latter gets the use of Ford's dealer network in exchange for branding the cars Fords.

Of course it could just be posturing. Sort this out, Labour government, or think of the job cuts.
    I see the Chinese taking most, all of the EV market...don't they have a lock almost on the minerals, battery side plus cheap/ slave labour.

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    I see the Chinese taking most, all of the EV market...don't they have a lock almost on the minerals, battery side plus cheap/ slave labour.
    I agree. I had no idea that the Chinese EV market was so large, around 200 manufacturers at present. This video of the Beijing Auto Show came across my YT timeline and even if you don't have the stamina for the whole thing (I didn't), the number and range of EV's available over there is incredible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSzEVLN4dRQ&t=5s

If even a third of the Chinese output makes it over here, I can't see how the established western brands will be able to compete. I think the only thing likely to keep them in the picture will be import tariffs.

PS. In reference to the previous post, Ford still sell a Mondeo in China (Hybrid I think), you can see it 15:30 into the video above.

It’s a thinly veiled plea for leniency from the govt. from Ford anyway.

It’s all a bit confusing imho. The list price of my ICE fiesta last year was £27k. Now Dacia are able to release the electric Spring for £15-16k. Surely an electric Fiesta would sell like gangbusters in the uk? - Britains best selling car for years, small enough to park and- you’d imagine - a bit lighter like the Dacia and therefore will travel further on a smaller, therefore cheaper battery with a decent range?

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    It’s all a bit confusing imho. The list price of my ICE fiesta last year was £27k. Now Dacia are able to release the electric Spring for £15-16k. Surely an electric Fiesta would sell like gangbusters in the uk? - Britains best selling car for years, small enough to park and- you’d imagine - a bit lighter like the Dacia and therefore will travel further on a smaller, therefore cheaper battery with a decent range?
    It’s the ford way. Even the Mondeo got replaced by BMW as the fleet darling.

They just can’t get cars right, but at least they don’t get them as wrong as Vauxhall.

Quote Originally Posted by stooo View Post
    It’s the ford way. Even the Mondeo got replaced by BMW as the fleet darling.

They just can’t get cars right, but at least they don’t get them as wrong as Vauxhall.
    I’ve always slated Vauxhall but they seem to be doing a lot better these days. But then, they are now Citroens and Peugeots!

Cyber truck

If they’d put a decent seat in an MG4, and place it far enough back so it could support a 6 foot 2 17 stone TZ member it would be a good start! - I test drove an MG4 next to my current Cupra Born and I was hanging through the seat - couldn’t do more than 10 minutes without backache. Couple that with the weird centre console cutting into my left knee and it was hopeless. Felt like the car equivalent of luxurious Chinese made clothing bearing mad, mid-spelled and non sensical western slogans! - nice try but I can’t actually sit in it (and judging by my son’s friends, 6 foot 2 is the shorter end of the tall spectrum)!
    Last edited by RobDad; 8th May 2024 at 17:16.

Craftsman
    To me an interesting model is the Ioniq 5N; it seems to be an EV imitating an ICE with its virtual gearbox. Perhaps Hyundai see that to tempt the move to EV drivers want a transition with a vehicle that is is more traditionally "car like"
    Whether this is sufficient to tempt buyers only time will tell plus it's £65k ISH so not a cheap runabout

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Taxboy View Post
    To me an interesting model is the Ioniq 5N; it seems to be an EV imitating an ICE with its virtual gearbox. Perhaps Hyundai see that to tempt the move to EV drivers want a transition with a vehicle that is is more traditionally "car like"
    Whether this is sufficient to tempt buyers only time will tell plus it's £65k ISH so not a cheap runabout

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk
    That tech in a £25k 150hp runabout would be a winner - a fake hot hatch that you could rag the virtual nuts off without breaking many laws.

It’s a bit absurd in what is effectively a 600hp slammed Range Rover Sport though.

https://youtu.be/bTTMVIhMkkM?si=kJljfX6FveoQHjxD

' it's much worse than I expected. Water just enters the front area (where a lot of electronics are) under the "frunk". They only found out when they noticed the wiper fluid just sprayed around (went everywhere except on the window.... ) The inside is also not painted, because, well, the whole car isn't painted. The mechanic also found loose grounds (see the wire on the lower right of the picture, and when trying to open something with tabs, the tab broke off the second it was touched. This thing will be a nightmare to maintain.'

Sent from my Pixel 7a using Tapatalk

That cyber truck is 5 days old

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Daveya. View Post

That is truly shocking.

Master

Has anything so crap ever got so much attention? Manna from Heaven for YouTubers, and ammo for anti-Tesla/Musk folk…

We just don’t seem to get the same attention around the latest Toyota RAV4 or similar, funny old world isn’t it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    Has anything so crap ever got so much attention? Manna from Heaven for YouTubers, and ammo for anti-Tesla/Musk folk…

We just don’t seem to get the same attention around the latest Toyota RAV4 or similar, funny old world isn’t it.
    Even British Leyland made cars with better build quality

Master
    Even British Leyland made cars with better build quality

Possibly/maybe, I just think if you look/tear down anything hard enough you’ll find something wrong with everything. It does a lot of stuff right too.

To avoid doubt, I still think the cyber truck is deeply flawed and crap as a concept and a truck, but if it does end up being the underpinnings of a more conventional and practical truck (that many Americans are in love with), then it could be a positive.

Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    Possibly/maybe, I just think if you look/tear down anything hard enough you’ll find something wrong with everything. It does a lot of stuff right too.

To avoid doubt, I still think the cyber truck is deeply flawed and crap as a concept and a truck, but if it does end up being the underpinnings of a more conventional and practical truck (that many Americans are in love with), then it could be a positive.
    Maybe

Doesn't negate the poor build quality being reported right now though

Well, there are a lot of owners reporting problems. And the evidence is it's yet another Tesla product with production issues

… and unable to carry out basic pickup duties, like carrying any sort of load.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    The only load a cyber truck carries is ego and that doesn’t need to go in the back.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    True!

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    The only load a cyber truck carries is ego and that doesn’t need to go in the back.
    Also true! :-D

Tesla have serious competition

https://youtu.be/HZczpFsv9ZY?si=icqYWIJaSxO-CP0Q

Not vetted

Blog Entries
    Just to give us an idea what we’re talking about.

My friend Don sent me this. And asked me for a proper caption for this pic…

Can't wait for a hill billy to test the supposed bullet proof glass

Master
    Can't wait for a hill billy to test the supposed bullet proof glass

The glass isn’t bullet proof, just the stainless steel bodywork, and then ‘only’ 9mm or so.

https://youtu.be/VLV-4HMrAz0?si=NqVwRWJpfLsDjrAU

You seem to have an obsession with these things, what number is your pre-order? I presume you’re trying to move yourself up the waiting list?! ;-)
    Last edited by Tooks; 13th May 2024 at 19:08.

3 metric tonnes. I wouldn’t want to be crashed into by one.

Lol yeah I'll take 2