closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Pet Insurance - Who do you use?

Hybrid View

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Longblackcoat View Post
    Typically I insure a dog until about 7 years old, then when the premiums start to go up steeply and/or the co-pay element increases significantly I'd probably cease insurance. I know that the final few years of a dog's life are likely to be expensive, whether that's through severely hiked premiums or just paying directly. I got very frustrated not knowing if a claim would be approved/queried and seeing the insuring entity try to wriggle out of paying (yes, Animal Friends, I'm talking about you) hence relying on the Bank Of LBC.
    This is where PetPlan seem to be very good, and probably why their premiums are a bit higher, but they seem to not quibble about any legitimate claim.

The vets seem to like them too, you can imagine the hassle with owners where they thought they were covered and now they’re not.

We rescued a 2 year old dog when the owner could no longer look after her, we insured her via PetPlan and Epilepsy was excluded as I knew she already had it. When she had an episode and was hospitalised, I didn’t think I could claim due to the exclusion. The Practice noticed that the previous owner had insured her as a pup when she was diagnosed, and the insurer was PetPlan. Staying within privacy rules the vets spoke to PetPlan who agreed to cover it as they’d previously been the insurer when it was originally diagnosed and effectively transferred that inclusion to me as if I was the original owner and insurer. I was amazed, but grateful, given what I thought of insurers up to that point. She lived another 7 years or so, and they always paid up no problem.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    This is where PetPlan seem to be very good, and probably why their premiums are a bit higher, but they seem to not quibble about any legitimate claim.

The vets seem to like them too, you can imagine the hassle with owners where they thought they were covered and now they’re not.

We rescued a 2 year old dog when the owner could no longer look after her, we insured her via PetPlan and Epilepsy was excluded as I knew she already had it. When she had an episode and was hospitalised, I didn’t think I could claim due to the exclusion. The Practice noticed that the previous owner had insured her as a pup when she was diagnosed, and the insurer was PetPlan. Staying within privacy rules the vets spoke to PetPlan who agreed to cover it as they’d previously been the insurer when it was originally diagnosed and effectively transferred that inclusion to me as if I was the original owner and insurer. I was amazed, but grateful, given what I thought of insurers up to that point. She lived another 7 years or so, and they always paid up no problem.
    Cheers Tooks, I'll look into PP for the next dog. Good to have a positive review!

I’ve been with Frank for 12 months with a couple of claims in that period with no issues.

Master
    for those considering the self insure option i'd suggest putting aside a sizeable sum to start with and then a monthly, increasing, standing order.

last year my boy had an attack of vestibular syndrome, which presents almost like stroke symptoms. Further investigation via MRI (the only way to really check in their heads) and a sever inner ear infection and meningitis were diagnosed. Total cost was nearly £4,500 including the military grade antibiotics for 3 months. Prior to that he'd had MRI's for a suspected spinal issue that was another £4,000. Plenty of other stuff that added up to over £15k, possibly nearer £20k.... this for a ridiculously healthy and well looked after dog who only succumbed to cancer at 14 last week.

I know one lady who self insured with the 'supervet' and must have spent £40,000 on a variety of issues for her spaniel.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by westberks View Post
    I know one lady who self insured with the 'supervet' and must have spent £40,000 on a variety of issues for her spaniel.
    Every case is different, obviously, but my vet has the view that she'd very likely not put her own dog through a good number of the things that the esteemed-by-many Dr Fitzpatrick carries out. Her view accords with mine that a fair number of the procedures, though technically marvellous, are not necessarily what's ethically right for the animal.

Master
    Every case is different, obviously, but my vet has the view that she'd very likely not put her own dog through a good number of the things that the esteemed-by-many Dr Fitzpatrick carries out. Her view accords with mine that a fair number of the procedures, though technically marvellous, are not necessarily what's ethically right for the animal.
    A widely held view amongst the profession, so I’m told.

A lady we know had her brown labrador diagnosed with cancer about 4 years ago. She was offered the usual chemo and other expensive treatments but as this would have involved further stress and pain for the dog, she opted for pain relief only so at least it would be comfortable in its last months.

The dog is still happily wagging its tail today. Not sure what that tells us except that the obvious, most expensive option might not always be the best option.

Our 7-year-old moggy is only about £8 a month to insure so it's a no-brainer at the moment. I'm sure once she reaches double figures so will the premiums.

Master
    this poor dog would have been PTS a long time before it eventually was; the owner thought she was doing the best for him; i just thought it was cruel. went on for a few years

Quote Originally Posted by westberks View Post
    for those considering the self insure option i'd suggest putting aside a sizeable sum to start with and then a monthly, increasing, standing order.

last year my boy had an attack of vestibular syndrome, which presents almost like stroke symptoms. Further investigation via MRI (the only way to really check in their heads) and a sever inner ear infection and meningitis were diagnosed. Total cost was nearly £4,500 including the military grade antibiotics for 3 months. Prior to that he'd had MRI's for a suspected spinal issue that was another £4,000. Plenty of other stuff that added up to over £15k, possibly nearer £20k.... this for a ridiculously healthy and well looked after dog who only succumbed to cancer at 14 last week.

Thank you this was an informative read as our older dog has developed symptoms similar to the above, yelping in pain, tilting his head to the left, holding his left paw in the air and arching his back.

George has been to the vet twice, with another appointment this Saturday.

Very distressing as he’s gone from a very fit 16.5 year to an old boy in a week!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Snoodles View Post
    Thank you this was an informative read as our older dog has developed symptoms similar to the above, yelping in pain, tilting his head to the left, holding his left paw in the air and arching his back.

George has been to the vet twice, with another appointment this Saturday.

Very distressing as he’s gone from a very fit 16.5 year to an old boy in a week!
    for the suspected spinal issue it turned out to be muscular. I was simultaneously getting massage therapy and hydrotherapy that fixed it, whilst the vets were steering towards another 3k of MRI. That was 7 years ago though and he never had any issues on that front since. hope yours is ok

vestibular is a really scary condition initially and can go away after a few days. It just depends what the underlying cause (if any) is. it can be age related or a number of other things.
    Last edited by westberks; 2nd May 2024 at 18:23.