timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Paying firms with cash

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Where are you based?
    Why does that matter?

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    We had a managing builder who subbed all his work out to independent tradesman who earned below the VAT threshold. I paid the tradesmen with a large cut for him. Legitimately saved a lot of VAT on our extension. No tax evasion and within the rules.

Maybe it is an arrangement like this?

Sent from my SM-A536B using Tapatalk
    I sensed this is how a sole trader I used - was working. Transferred the money to his account when complete.

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Why does that matter?
    Wondered whether this is more prevalent in certain parts of the country.

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    Why would you need to pay cash with that arrangement?
    If they are below VAT threshold you wouldn't be paying Vat whether cash or not.
    Once I had established all was good (working below VAT threshold) as was happy to pay them as they pleased.

I received an invoice and receipts for all work.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Drago View Post
    People on this thread claiming it’s VAT fraud need to get in the real world. Every small / medium builder / tradesman does cash jobs to avoid VAT.
    It's not necessarily VAT fraud, although if he's a Limited Company that's been around for decades it's easy to see what his turnover is and therefore whether he's liable for VAT. A cash payment for a cheaper quote to a Ltd company is almost certainly corporation tax fraud though.

I do find these threads somewhat funny. Quite a few Tunbridge Wells types taking the moral high ground. People who have probably not struggled with minimum wage or well below average wages.

Not saying that is the case here, but a lot of the barely legal stuff happens when money is very tight, or non existent.

When I where a lad, it wasn't a shoebox in middle of road type stuff, but we had no money and cash in hand was just normal.

You worried about the leccy man calling to find a big u-bar breaching the meter, not a bit of cash in hand stuff. Didn't answer the front door without peeking through the net curtain for 10 years, lol.

There is a whole different world beyond middle class Britain.

Paying firms with cash

Take the saving and enjoy the door.

His tax affairs are his business. So long as you have a warranty and paperwork it’s job done.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Take the saving and enjoy the door.

His tax affairs are his business. So long as you have a warranty and paperwork it’s job done.
    Precisely whatever happened to minding your own business.

Really? How would you establish that, knowing only one location of one person?

Why don't you start a TZ survey?

I do find these threads somewhat funny. Quite a few Tunbridge Wells types taking the moral high ground. People who have probably not struggled with minimum wage or well below average wages.

Not saying that is the case here, but a lot of the barely legal stuff happens when money is very tight, or non existent.

When I where a lad, it wasn't a shoebox in middle of road type stuff, but we had no money and cash in hand was just normal.

You worried about the leccy man calling to find a big u-bar breaching the meter, not a bit of cash in hand stuff. Didn't answer the front door without peeking through the net curtain for 10 years, lol.

Sounds familiar. We had a tiny hole drilled through the meter and a wire stopping the disc. Makes me weep thinking about it now. Them were the days.

I think you'd be hard pushed to find anywhere in the UK that could come close to Westminster for tax dodgers and fraudsters.

Sounds familiar. We had a tiny hole drilled through the meter and a wire stopping the disc. Makes me weep thinking about it now. Them were the days.
    There’s a surprise.

Master
    Blog Entries

What’s that got to do with anything? It’s nothing to do with any moral high ground.

We live in a society where working together makes things happen. The more freeloaders there are screwing the system the less resources in the pot for the system to support the needs of the less fortunate.

I choose to play by the rules and contribute because I want a society where the state has the resources to support those who need it.

The problem these days is there are too many selfish types screwing the system for their own benefit.

… and just because others do it doesn’t make it ok … live by your own moral compass regardless of the actions of others.

Absolutely appreciate that cash deals may be the only way for less affluent members of society, but less so for members of a watch forum, no?

Absolutely this! OPs got a bunch of tasty watches I'm sure, so don't think £££ is the issue!

And anyway, who were these skint folk back in the day getting tradesmen in? No cash, then DIY!

Apparently a few £Billions in tax lost through this kind of cash in hand, of the books, transacting.

Very surprising responses from some of the BP most left leaning, society engaged participants.

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk
    Last edited by xxnick1975; 24th April 2024 at 14:13.

Playing the devils advocate, If a person is willing to screw the government and risk possible criminal charges what chance would a private individual have when dealing with that type of person ?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by xxnick1975 View Post

Very surprising responses from some of the BP most left leaning, society engaged participants.
    Many are only left leaning up to the point they are not impacting their own situation, then its every man for himself ...

Quote Originally Posted by TheTigerUK View Post
    Playing the devils advocate, If a person is willing to screw the government and risk possible criminal charges what chance would a private individual have when dealing with that type of person ?
    Nobody cares and nobody questions as long as it is cheap enough. Look at the hundreds who bought cheap phones on SC from Vinny over a decade or more.

Every small / medium builder / tradesman does cash jobs to avoid VAT.
    Not if they’re not VAT registered!

Master
    It’s illegal to be drunk in a pub but I’m sure you’ve done that.
    Never heard of that being prosecuted but people are prosecuted, and sometimes jailed, for tax evasion. Not really sure you’ve chosen the best comparison there.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    Never heard of that being prosecuted but people are prosecuted, and sometimes jailed, for tax evasion. Not really sure you’ve chosen the best comparison there.
    It’s Illegal. You claimed before tax evasion is illegal.

You can’t pick and choose what laws you stick to if you want to take the moral high ground. You either abide by every law or you’re as bad as anyone else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just got a haircut and paid in cash.

If I paid by card I’d have had to tip.

Master
    Blog Entries
    It’s Illegal. You claimed before tax evasion is illegal.

You can’t pick and choose what laws you stick to if you want to take the moral high ground. You either abide by every law or you’re as bad as anyone else.
    It's not about "taking the moral high ground" its about following your own moral compass ...

If someone has got drunk in a pub and behaved themselves then there is zero impact on anyone else or wider society ... I don't see any problem. If they get stroppy and start a fight then that is a different matter.

Tax evasion generally hurts the people in society that have the least .. if you are OK with that then that is your choice your moral compass ...

Making irrelevant analogies doesn't change change the situation or in some way excuse your choice to participate in tax evasion for your own enrichment ...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    It's not about "taking the moral high ground" its about following your own moral compass ...

If someone has got drunk in a pub and behaved themselves then there is zero impact on anyone else or wider society ... I don't see any problem. If they get stroppy and start a fight then that is a different matter.

Tax evasion generally hurts the people in society that have the least .. if you are OK with that then that is your choice your moral compass ...

Making irrelevant analogies doesn't change change the situation or in some way excuse your choice to participate in tax evasion for your own enrichment ...
    I’m responded to what you stated. You claimed it doesn’t matter if everyone does it, it’s ILLEGAL.

To which I’ve replied it’s ILLEGAL to be drunk in a pub but I’m sure you’ve done that.

You either follow the law or you don’t. You can’t pick and choose and take the moral high ground when you want.

Being drunk in a pub generally hurts people. The NHS of a weekend is packed with drunk people who have harmed themselves or others in pubs drunk and puts a massive strain on services.

Blog Entries
    Many are only left leaning up to the point they are not impacting their own situation, then its every man for himself ...
    'Twas ever thus......
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Blog Entries
    Luxury....

Master
    Blog Entries
    I’m responded to what you stated. You claimed it doesn’t matter if everyone does it, it’s ILLEGAL.
    I think you are getting confused. I have not said that…

My point is quite clear. Tax evasion generally hurts the people in society with the least.

To which I’ve replied it’s ILLEGAL to be drunk in a pub but I’m sure you’ve done that.

You either follow the law or you don’t. You can’t pick and choose and take the moral high ground when you want.

Being drunk in a pub generally hurts people. The NHS of a weekend is packed with drunk people who have harmed themselves or others in pubs drunk and puts a massive strain on services.

As an aside and not wishing to turn this into an A level Philosophy chat......it's not the case that following the law is always the morally correct thing to do.

Master

Says Surrey man who comments / thinks Berkshire is just Slough.

What’s that got to do with anything? It’s nothing to do with any moral high ground.

We live in a society where working together makes things happen. The more freeloaders there are screwing the system the less resources in the pot for the system to support the needs of the less fortunate.

I choose to play by the rules and contribute because I want a society where the state has the resources to support those who need it.

The problem these days is there are too many selfish types screwing the system for their own benefit.

… and just because others do it doesn’t make it ok … live by your own moral compass regardless of the actions of others.
    Exactly, those of us that should contribute, should

Quote Originally Posted by TheTigerUK View Post
    Or the person willing to pay to avoid such.

Nobody cares and nobody questions as long as it is cheap enough. Look at the hundreds who bought cheap phones on SC from Vinny over a decade or more.
    Didn't you get screwed on currency with him trying to be cheap?

Master
    Just got a haircut and paid in cash.

If I paid by card I’d have had to tip.
    Gotta round the haircut up Willey
    £12.50 leave £15

Iranians at the place I use aren't declaring that are they.
    Scoundrels.
    Last edited by Hood; 24th April 2024 at 22:52.

My barber takes cash or card. Same price, and he always writes each cut in his ledger however it’s paid.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

£12.50 leave £15

Scoundrels.
    He’s put the price up from 35 to 38.50, clearly wants 40. I give a tenner at Christmas but that’s the limit.

When I’m fully bald I’ll find a Middle Eastern scalper and accept my fate. Round here you never know where they’re from, they all say they’re Turkish and you just have to go along with it.

Master
    He’s put the price up from 35 to 38.50, clearly wants 40. I give a tenner at Christmas but that’s the limit.

When I’m fully bald I’ll find a Middle Eastern scalper and accept my fate. Round here you never know where they’re from, they all say they’re Turkish and you just have to go along with it.
    Christ.
    £38.50 that hurts
    I suppose when I gave a shit 20 odd years ago I paid about £17 so probably about the same with inflation.
    Used to get a good looking lass doing it who's knockers would tend to give you a wee bump here and there.
    Halcyon days.

Get a set of Braun clippers and do it yourself. I shaved my head today, took 10 mins and cost sod all. I think some of you guys are a bunch of tarts flaffing over your hair.

And paying the cost of a Rolex to have pubes implanted back on the top of your head is nuts. Man up and accept that a fine slap is the way ahead.
    Last edited by Wallasey Runner; 24th April 2024 at 23:51.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Get a set of Braun clippers and do it yourself. I shaved my head today, took 10 mins and cost sod all. I think some of you guys are a bunch of tarts flaffing over your hair.

And paying the cost of a Rolex to have pubes implanted back on the top of your head is nuts. Man up and accept that a fine slap is the way ahead.
    I don’t have the jaw line to carry off the chrome dome just yet. Might have to find out where hood got his washed as the place I go is just one guy and I’m the one with the tits

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post

I purchased a barber quality pair for about £120 4 years ago. Quick grade 0.5 on the top & grade 1 for the long stubble a couple of times a week & all sorted.

Toyed with the implants but just accepted my fate.

Blog Entries
    I have a painter.

A first-class old school painter.

He is VERY VERY good.

He can natter like an old woman, his views on this government are uncomplimentary and pretty much mirror mine, I care not and just keep feeding him strong English Breakfast tea. He has earned (via performance) his access to a caddy of decent tea as opposed to the general tradesman’s caddy.

I pay him in cash.

Tax and VAT are not discussed or ever mentioned.

I talk to him about paint and the state of the nation generally, not tax.

How much he pays in taxes is ALL of his personal business and NONE of mine.

IF he chooses not to pay all his taxes and does not contribute his correct share to the government, I have no knowledge or suspicion of that and I consider that it is not my job to pass any moral judgement upon him.

I care about the quality of his painting, not his tax affairs.

The government get their full share of taxes from me, they do not pay me to spend any of my time moralising about the tax affairs of my painter or anyone else for that matter.

I sleep well at night, I suspect my painter sleeps well too judging by his calm demeanour and painting skills.

I have a painter, a first-class old school painter who is choosy as he has more work available to him than you could shake a number of sticks at and he selectively does listed building work. I do not have a listed building but he cares not and I get his standard of workmanship at a perfectly fair price.

I am lucky to have a painter of this calibre, a painter whose identity I do not share for purely selfish reasons, he will slot me in to do a job where he can, he knows that if I say that I will pay him £X tomorrow, that will happen without fail and he can rely on me as I can rely on him.

If I had to choose between having a politician to dinner or my painter, I would choose my painter, he is knowledgeable and interesting and in my experience he does not lie.

I am fortunate to have a painter, a first-class old school painter and we understand each other.

Have a good day.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Bloody hell Kav, we should enter that prose for a Booker prize or summet

Ideal working relationship I'd say.

That's not almost 40 quid a haircut...jeez. I bought Mrs P some clippers, she does mine, mostly a 2 and a 1, works for me.

Blog Entries

£12.50 leave £15

Scoundrels.
    During the week old farts rate of £7 and I always leave £10, 40% tip.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by KavKav View Post
    I have a painter.

He is VERY VERY good.

He can natter like an old woman, his views on this government are uncomplimentary and pretty much mirror mine, I care not and just keep feeding him strong English Breakfast tea. He has earned (via performance) his access to a caddy of decent tea as opposed to the general tradesman’s caddy.

I pay him in cash.

IF he chooses not to pay all his taxes and does not contribute his correct share to the government, I have no knowledge or suspicion of that and I consider that it is not my job to pass any moral judgement upon him.

The government get their full share of taxes from me, they do not pay me to spend any of my time moralising about the tax affairs of my painter or anyone else for that matter.

I sleep well at night, I suspect my painter sleeps well too judging by his calm demeanour and painting skills.

I have a painter, a first-class old school painter who is choosy as he has more work available to him than you could shake a number of sticks at and he selectively does listed building work. I do not have a listed building but he cares not and I get his standard of workmanship at a perfectly fair price.

I am lucky to have a painter of this calibre, a painter whose identity I do not share for purely selfish reasons, he will slot me in to do a job where he can, he knows that if I say that I will pay him £X tomorrow, that will happen without fail and he can rely on me as I can rely on him.

If I had to choose between having a politician to dinner or my painter, I would choose my painter, he is knowledgeable and interesting and in my experience he does not lie.

I am fortunate to have a painter, a first-class old school painter and we understand each other.

Have a good day.
    I've a good painter too but it's not rocket science.
    There's a saying in the trades I believe
    "if you can piss you can paint"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Suds View Post
    Bloody hell Kav, we should enter that prose for a Booker prize or summet
    LOL! You are too kind! I don’t owe you any money do I ?

I have a painter.

He is VERY VERY good.

I pay him in cash.

Have a good day.
    That's wonderful, but what do you think of the OPs situation.

His garage door man has offered him a 25% discount if he pays in cash, and muttered something about saving corporate tax.

What do you think is going on and what do you suggest?

Blog Entries
    Actually it IS rocket science and a definite art, as is the fine art of plastering! There is a significant difference between Rembrant and a squaddie on jankers slapping whitewash on a rock!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by xxnick1975 View Post
    That's wonderful, but what do you think of the OPs situation.

His garage door man has offered him a 25% discount if he pays in cash, and muttered something about saving corporate tax.

What do you think is going on and what do you suggest?

I would not be happy and would take my business elsewhere. My reasons are that the offer of a 25% discount for cash just tells me he was trying to overcharge me in the first place which puts him high on my ‘*uck right off and I mean now’ list. Additionally, a GDM who wants cash from a stranger as he mutters something about saving tax of any description is not a fellow that inspires either confidence or trust and he would be departing.

Master
    Been doing my slap head for years, even before it went into full retreat. Never even toyed with the idea of a transplant though my wife has a friend who’s been involved in the business for years and would offer a very generous discount!
    Nearly £40 for a short back and sides, Jesus!

Blog Entries
    Actually it IS rocket science and a definite art, as is the fine art of plastering! There is a significant difference between Rembrant and a squaddie on jankers slapping whitewash on a rock!
    Was Rembrandt a decorator? Just wondering, because the local guy who did our decorating was excellent but I doubt his ability to recreate The Night Watch or Belshazzars's Feast.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Was Rembrandt a decorator? Just wondering, because the local guy who did our decorating was excellent but I doubt his ability to recreate The Night Watch or Belshazzars's Feast.
    Belshazzar’s feast does not hit the high notes for me, there is something I don’t like about a bloke with an earring and a crown atop a turban busily nicking the gold and silver!
    Dazzlingly well painted though, (this from a guy who misspelt Rembrandt!)

Master
    Blog Entries
    Ha brill. I love it when I get a job painting (as a carpenter)... Nice easy work.