I've been wearing multifocal toric lenses for a few years now.

Until recently, only CooperVision made these, and I've tried both their lines, ProClear and Biofinity.

Unlike with varifocal glasses, the reading correction is just 'there' when you turn your attention to something close - no tilting of the head, etc. needed.

In my experience, distance vision with these is perfectly acceptable. Near vision is usually fine too, the exception being occasionally when in poor lighting or towards the end of a long day, when the eyes might be tired and the lenses perhaps a bit 'sticky'.

As with all toric lenses, you sometimes need a blink or two to rotate them back to the proper alignment. I've had no issues with comfort or wear time with them, and typically wear them all day every day.

Of the two, I think I narrowly prefer the ProClear lenses in terms of vision, but the Biofinity lenses run them very close. They're made from slightly different materials and for me the ProClear have the edge in terms of comfort and stability.

Bausch & Lomb have recently entered the market, but their Ultra multifocal toric isn't available in the same range of prescriptions as the CooperVision lenses, which can be specified pretty much exactly to your spectacle prescription (within limits).

These lenses are made to order and so delivery times are longer than for most other types.

Although they can't give the same results as glasses, I find the lenses a good overall compromise 90% of the time, and I'm happy to have freedom from reading / varifocal specs and freedom of choice when it comes to sunglasses.