closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Varifocal contact lenses

Hybrid View

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DMC102 View Post
    I've been wearing multifocal toric lenses for a few years now.

Until recently, only CooperVision made these, and I've tried both their lines, ProClear and Biofinity.

Unlike with varifocal glasses, the reading correction is just 'there' when you turn your attention to something close - no tilting of the head, etc. needed.

In my experience, distance vision with these is perfectly acceptable. Near vision is usually fine too, the exception being occasionally when in poor lighting or towards the end of a long day, when the eyes might be tired and the lenses perhaps a bit 'sticky'.

As with all toric lenses, you sometimes need a blink or two to rotate them back to the proper alignment. I've had no issues with comfort or wear time with them, and typically wear them all day every day.

Of the two, I think I narrowly prefer the ProClear lenses in terms of vision, but the Biofinity lenses run them very close. They're made from slightly different materials and for me the ProClear have the edge in terms of comfort and stability.

Bausch & Lomb have recently entered the market, but their Ultra multifocal toric isn't available in the same range of prescriptions as the CooperVision lenses, which can be specified pretty much exactly to your spectacle prescription (within limits).

These lenses are made to order and so delivery times are longer than for most other types.

Although they can't give the same results as glasses, I find the lenses a good overall compromise 90% of the time, and I'm happy to have freedom from reading / varifocal specs and freedom of choice when it comes to sunglasses.
    Are they daily disposable or monthlies?

When I was last trying varifocal contacts, the daily ones didn’t exist, so I had a vari lens in one eye and a toric distance lens in the other. I always found it a compromise across any distance tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Are they daily disposable or monthlies?

When I was last trying varifocal contacts, the daily ones didn’t exist, so I had a vari lens in one eye and a toric distance lens in the other. I always found it a compromise across any distance tbh.
    Sorry should have said - monthly.

To my knowledge, no-one makes a daily multifocal toric, and I understand that's pretty unlikely to change.

Grand Master
    I tried varifocal contact lenses 15 years ago and couldn't get on with them, vision always seemed blurred, reminded me of having concussion.

If the latest ones are markedly better I might try again, contact lenses would be better for running than glasses. Fixed vision contacts are no good, can`t see the ground well enough to avoid falling when running in woods etc.

To my knowledge, no-one makes a daily multifocal toric, and I understand that's pretty unlikely to change.

Absolutely, close to never going to happen.

There’s a lot more effort needed to make Toric multi-focals, the sku range runs into millions of prescriptions on those and the lenses are close to made to order. So the economies of scale that enable dailies to be made and sold at the price they are is only possible with the smaller product range and the large lots they are made in.

Master

Just back from Costco to talk about lenses. She’s confused me totally now! Going to try varifocal but with 1 lens lower to help with reading. Don’t quite get that part tbh. I am trusting the system.

Did prefer their other optometrist; this one seemed not really interested. She also told me daily varifocal tonic lenses exist, but Costco don’t stock them.

Cannot find them anywhere so assuming she is incorrect! Can find monthly ones but as I don’t want a pair for 30 days on the trot, they are not suitable. Shame they aren’t 30 wears and it would be perfect. Or even 15 wears would be fine with me over 2 months or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Just back from Costco to talk about lenses. She’s confused me totally now! Going to try varifocal but with 1 lens lower to help with reading. Don’t quite get that part tbh. I am trusting the system.

Did prefer their other optometrist; this one seemed not really interested. She also told me daily varifocal tonic lenses exist, but Costco don’t stock them.

Cannot find them anywhere so assuming she is incorrect! Can find monthly ones but as I don’t want a pair for 30 days on the trot, they are not suitable. Shame they aren’t 30 wears and it would be perfect. Or even 15 wears would be fine with me over 2 months or so.
    Yes, she's incorrect - there are no daily multifocal torics.

I use mine on a 30-wear basis - on the days I don't use them, I'm happy just to leave them soaking, and I keep track of the number of wears with a tally-counter app on my phone.

Master
    Yes, she's incorrect - there are no daily multifocal torics.

I use mine on a 30-wear basis - on the days I don't use them, I'm happy just to leave them soaking, and I keep track of the number of wears with a tally-counter app on my phone.
    Yeah, she was adamant they existed and almost sneering at me, as a non qualified person for even suggesting they don’t exist. Really didn’t like her mannerisms at all tbh.

That is interesting. Will see if an optician chimes in here before I go chase David on this idea. Logically it works for me as if you’re not wearing them they are not getting build up & are sitting in a sterile solution.

Could mean I can order 3 lenses for each eye for £70 or so and be sorted for summer & holidays. Interesting thought.

So even more of a loss now as to what I’m actually going to get. Varifocal without the astigmatism correction, which I know will be rubbish. Acuvue Moist was all I’d heard and they are either toric or varifocal. We shall see.

Also had to pay £14.99 for the privilege, perhaps it has changed but before the trial stage was always free until they get you into the payment plans.