closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Removing strap changing marks

Blog Entries

Removing strap changing marks

Hi, just bought a watch with smallish strap changing scratches on the lugs, back of watch.
    Any advice would be appreciated.

If the scratches are on the back of the lugs, don't give them any more thought; wear the watch and enjoy it.

Master
    Use a finger nail buffer (NOT a nail file) from Superdrug or similar. Work slowly and, ideally, only on surfaces not visible on the wrist, of course.

Try to work 'flat (buffer) to flat (on the lug)', except on the inner/lower lug edge, where you have to 'break' the edge to remove the damage.

Whatever you do, don't make things worse.

If the watch was expensive, take it to a good local jeweller. I've used two: a one man band and Pragnell, both of whom were happy to do the work for no/little (£30) money.

Why people buy a watch they value and then bu@@er the lugs is one of watch-keeping's great mysteries.

It does explain the name 'bugger-lugs', though.

I use Bergeon 2290 polishing sticks, 3 grades on one stick and literally only a few quid to buy.

Master
    It all depends on what finish you are wanting Jim.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    I use Bergeon 2290 polishing sticks, 3 grades on one stick and literally only a few quid to buy.
    Yep, they're very good.

If you're prepared to spend time in the nail section of the big chemists' - Superdrug, Boot's and so on - you can find very similar (and a bit cheaper) or you can buy the Bergeon from Amazon for seven-plus quid.
    Last edited by Tinker; 28th April 2024 at 21:02.

How do the polishing sticks compare with something like a Cape Cod cloth? More abrasive? Less abrasive? Totally different thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    Yep, they're very good.

If you're prepared to spend time in the nail section of the big chemists' - Superdrug, Boot's and so on - you can find very similar (and a bit cheaper) or you can buy the Bergeon from Amazon for seven-plus quid.
    Think you get two for the £7, I did. Not familiar with the nail versions but you can cut the Bergeon ones down as they wear to get 'fresh' abrasive at the ends.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post
    How do the polishing sticks compare with something like a Cape Cod cloth? More abrasive? Less abrasive? Totally different thing?
    They have three grades on them, the most coarse isn't coarse like sand paper, it just leaves a matte finish, good for deeper scratches, then use the next one down for a slightly less matte finish, then the finest for a final polish.
    The finest doesn't give as shiny a shine as Cape Cod cloth, but is more than good enough under lugs. On top you can always do the final finish with Cape Cod, the Bergeon stick will have saved a lot of elbow grease in the meantime.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoughie0 View Post
    If the scratches are on the back of the lugs, don't give them any more thought; wear the watch and enjoy it.
    That's sensible advice, especially if you don't know what you are doing. Practice is one thing. Perfect is another.

If the area is polished then I use my Dremel, polishing disc and the correct polish. You have to be patient. Years of experience helps.

If the area is brushed, it gets a bit more complicated. Are the marks deep? Will the area need polished then re-brushed? What direction does the brushed finish go on the underside of the lugs?

I use a garyflex block for the brushing work.

If the graining on the bottom of the lugs follows the lines of the case back edge (so in a circular direction), you need the correct size of garyflex block and a guide to achieve the correct circular brushed finish. That's one example of course.

Craftsman
    If it's a polished finish, I think Bergeon Diamantine (powder) mixed with a bit of oil works really well, you don't really need that much effort to buff out scratches by hand with that and the finish is pretty good, if the finish is brushed Garryflex blocks work quite good I think, if it's blasted you're screwed anyway.

Master
    Ouch ... ouch!