closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: A quote from yesterday's NYT

Blog Entries

A quote from yesterday's NYT

Wow! I never thought about that. But it's true.

Master
    A thing we do in work is work out what song was no. 1 in the charts halfway between the end of ww2 and the present.

This began several years back when 'Tainted Love' by Soft Cell was the halfway point. (2017?).

We are now on songs like 'Do they know it's Christmas ' and 'The power of love'.

Funnily enough, I had a similar horrifying realisation just yesterday

Someone mentioned the '3 Lions' song and it's line "30 years of hurt", 30 years from when we won the world cup to when the song was first released in '96. In just 2 years time, the next world cup, it will be 60 years of hurt, 30 years from '66 world cup to the song and 30 years since the song came out. I suddenly felt old

Master
    I often do these temporal mental calculations. Here's one: the Band Aid single was recorded closer to the end of WW2 than the present day. EDIT: someone had beaten me to this, sorry.
    Last edited by monogroover; 30th April 2024 at 14:15.

If you are a member of TZ-UK, then all of the dogs in the world when you were born are now dead. Cats too.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by williemays View Post
    If you are a member of TZ-UK, then all of the dogs in the world when you were born are now dead. Cats too.
    Exactly my thoughts ;)
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

My personal moment was when somebody pointed out to me in around 1998 that the advent of Punk was longer ago than the birth of Rock & Roll had been when Punk started.

Blog Entries
    Really, this is one of the reasons why like it here. Good comments to my posting. Overall, I'm feeling old now...

Master
    when cleopatra was born the pyramids were as ancient to her as she is to us now.

B

Funnily enough I was discussing this with my BiL, who was in the Falklands conflict, and it is now about as far away, timewise as WW2 was when the Falkands conflict started 40+ years.

Scary......I'm old.

A

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Yeah. Not tortoises though…

Apparently some dogs have lived into their 30s, so not necessarily!

Quote Originally Posted by Brighty View Post
    Funnily enough, I had a similar horrifying realisation just yesterday

Someone mentioned the '3 Lions' song and it's line "30 years of hurt", 30 years from when we won the world cup to when the song was first released in '96. In just 2 years time, the next world cup, it will be 60 years of hurt, 30 years from '66 world cup to the song and 30 years since the song came out. I suddenly felt old
    Please dont bring this up. You'll only give Badiel and Skinner lyric ideas for ANOTHER re-release of this turgid song ;)

Quote Originally Posted by johnboy9876 View Post
    Please dont bring this up. You'll only give Badiel and Skinner lyric ideas for ANOTHER re-release of this turgid song ;)
    I don't know Baddiel's views but Skinner said recently “We've squeezed all the blood out of that stone now, and we've squeezed it hard. We've had a really good run. I feel the song is done really."