closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Silver bar purchase

Silver bar purchase

I’ve been thinking about getting the kids a 100g silver bar to get them into the idea of investing and not pissing their birthday / Christmas money on digital bullpoop and let them see a tangible asset they can keep, silver is cheap right now, I guess the advice would be bullion by post or similar, but there is VAT on top of course, please tell me im mad to be looking on eBay, but there seems to be a fair bit of choice on there at around £100 per bar but obviously there’s more of a risk of getting burnt.
    Anyone offer advice?
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    Not fancy having your own made Jase? Happy to provide 100 grams of scrap silver (it'll be 925 sterling though rather than 999 grade).
    I always find the "bullion by post" places to be quite expensive to be honest, silver doesn't fluctuate a whole lot so paying VAT doesn't really compute for me.
    A nice big bar of silver is a lovely thing to have in your hand but gold is by far the better investment... I know you only end up with a sliver of the stuff for the price of a silver bar, but its a market that fluctuates massively (short term peaks and troughs with steady long term growth). Much more fun to track in the markets.

Additionally, if you want to get them into investing young have a nosey at a couple of the Mark Tilbury vids on YouTube, I've had my 12 year old daughter watch some - the difference in investing young and waiting until later life is ENORMOUS! Compound interest, its a bitch.

Additionally, on YouTube, there were some vids recently with a guy who bought some of the sealed blister packs on ebay to test and it didn't end well, I'll try to find them. I'd avoid those though. ;)
    Last edited by kevkojak; 30th April 2024 at 21:54.

Craftsman
    I bought my Nephew a silver Britannia when he was a kid. He loved it and they are rather beautiful coins. No CGT on them either. Silver is great value to my mind and a very attractive metal. Gold is lovely too of course but very over-priced at present imho. Platinum is good value at the moment though. They make Britannias out of that too!

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    silver is cheap right now
    Debatable!

If you're going that route then personally I'd go for CGT exempt Britannia's. If it's something that takes off for them and they add to it over time, might as well be doing it with a tax efficient option. That said, personally I'd sack off the idea and get them investing in an ISA and understanding how that all works early, I suspect over the long term it'll be a better life skill (but of course that's just my 2-cents, we might all be bartering with silver spoons soon..!).

Personally I'd steer well clear of eBay unless you're very confident in what you're doing. Plenty of fake stuff knocking around.

I got an email off HGM about a sale the other day, worth a look: https://www.hattongardenmetals.com/g...special-offers

Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    That said, personally I'd sack off the idea and get them investing in an ISA and understanding how that all works early
    Do you mean invest in a Junior ISA for them?

Thanks for the comments, great points about the coins, that might be a good compromise, I appreciate a ISA is a good idea too, but the debate I had with my youngest was sparked by his desire to buy a £25 digital accessory to the latest game he is on, I refused to let him spend real money on a non tangible non physical thing that will disappear eventually, I wanted to get something that he could see appreciate ( or not!) over time. Kev, gold would be my choice too but as you say, expensive to get into with a few quid here and there. Thanks again all.
    Cheers..
    Jase