closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Skoda kodiaq dsg gearbox

Hybrid View

Master

Skoda kodiaq dsg gearbox

I have been looking at the skoda kodiaq 1.5 and 2.0 petrol dsg auto the vw dsg gear boxes used to have a much more reliable wet unit in the 2.0 that needed regular oil changes the 1.5s had a dry sealed for life unit that was quite unreliable does anyone know ? I asked at skoda and they wernt sure

Quote Originally Posted by Michael 38 View Post
    I have been looking at the skoda kodiaq 1.5 and 2.0 petrol dsg auto the vw dsg gear boxes used to have a much more reliable wet unit in the 2.0 that needed regular oil changes the 1.5s had a dry sealed for life unit that was quite unreliable does anyone know ? I asked at skoda and they wernt sure
    I have a dsg in my 2011 Octavia that I believe is a sealed unit. At nearly 100k now and never missed a beat.

Journeyman

Skoda Forum

Hi

Suggest asking on the Skoda Forum(s) - many knowledgeable folk on there.......far better placed including so called 'Garages' who have to tow the Brand Line...just sayin'

L-K

Can't help with the wet vs dry gearbox question, but i've had 2L TDI Kodiaq the last 15 months and on a Kodiaq facebook group a bit longer than that

Firstly the 1.5, i'd test drive one if you haven't already, alot of people say it's a pretty underpowered in such a big car. Also real world MPG seems to be shockingly low, people saying low 30's, whereas I get mid 50's in my diesel

All years and engines seem to be plagued with gearbox issues, mechatronic unit failure, crops up on an almost daily basis on facebook, which results in a £1500 or so bill. General advice is do not own one without a warranty, if buying one and plan to have it past the 3 year warranty, buy the Skoda 'all-in' warranty.

Other than that, i think it's a great car

I've got a 2018 Superb 1.4

First mechatronic went at 25,000 miles (£1,600 to fix), replacement has failed at 46,000 miles. Part is now £2k plus fitting.

Quote Originally Posted by Brighty View Post
    Can't help with the wet vs dry gearbox question, but i've had 2L TDI Kodiaq the last 15 months and on a Kodiaq facebook group a bit longer than that

Firstly the 1.5, i'd test drive one if you haven't already, alot of people say it's a pretty underpowered in such a big car. Also real world MPG seems to be shockingly low, people saying low 30's, whereas I get mid 50's in my diesel

All years and engines seem to be plagued with gearbox issues, mechatronic unit failure, crops up on an almost daily basis on facebook, which results in a £1500 or so bill. General advice is do not own one without a warranty, if buying one and plan to have it past the 3 year warranty, buy the Skoda 'all-in' warranty.

Other than that, i think it's a great car
    Delicious understatement!

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Master
    Thanks for the reply’s it doesn’t sound like the dsg gearboxes have moved on much from the troublesome one I had in my golf and the ones my best mate had in his Audi’s I can remember no aftermarket warranties would cover dsg boxes they have had a good 20 years to get them working properly so a pretty poor show

Craftsman
    Would this be the same engine and gearbox as fitted to the Tarraco? If so we had one a couple of cars ago. Big car for a small engine with an awful lot of turbo lag. Coupled with the VAG DSG trait of delay when pulling away then suddenly kicking in, it was't the best drive

Ours was 2 wheel drive as well which meant when pulling out there was delay, the gearbox woke up, then the turbo kicked in and wheelspin city. Became tiiresome so we went back to a big 4WD Diesel.

Edit: I should say it was entirely reliable throughout our ownership. Nothing broke, just tyres eaten. It did return about 33MPG in mixed driving.

DSG Dog Shit Gearbox nuff said!

To add to my earlier comments...

Despite being a big car with a small engine, my 1.4 Superb Combi is faster 0-60 and has a higher top speed than my light as a crisp packet 1.9GTi hot hatch was back in the 80's. So whilst it's not rocket-ship fast by modern standards, it's not sluggish.

In general though it works better being driven as a limo rather than a race car.

Wheelspin pulling away is a thing on imperfect surfaces and I can only imagine it would be worse with the 2.0, so I'd want to go four wheel drive with the bigger engine. Might be less of a problem with a Kodiaq though as the car is more compact

The jolt on moving off is genuinely a thing, made worse by harsh acceleration from stationary and even worse when also using the auto handbrake. It's a habit thing, but I just gently tap the throttle before applying it so the brake comes off early then move gently away and it's fine. Or at least don't nail the throttle until you're rolling.

When the car's working, I love it. It's just rather disappointing - and expensive - when it's not.

The recent Carwow video listing the worst 10 cars for reliability & repairs in the uk (based on Warranty Wise figures) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lu4-tXJZxi0 has a lot of VAG cars in the list, but no mention of DSG gearboxes. It might be however that mechatronic units are not included in the cover for cars over 6 years or 60,000 miles old, so the only mechatronics that would show up in their stats are ones where the car is out of manufacturers warranty and is also fairly young.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    To add to my earlier comments...

Despite being a big car with a small engine, my 1.4 Superb Combi is faster 0-60 and has a higher top speed than my light as a crisp packet 1.9GTi hot hatch was back in the 80's. So whilst it's not rocket-ship fast by modern standards, it's not sluggish.

In general though it works better being driven as a limo rather than a race car.

Wheelspin pulling away is a thing on imperfect surfaces and I can only imagine it would be worse with the 2.0, so I'd want to go four wheel drive with the bigger engine. Might be less of a problem with a Kodiaq though as the car is more compact

The jolt on moving off is genuinely a thing, made worse by harsh acceleration from stationary and even worse when also using the auto handbrake. It's a habit thing, but I just gently tap the throttle before applying it so the brake comes off early then move gently away and it's fine. Or at least don't nail the throttle until you're rolling.

When the car's working, I love it. It's just rather disappointing - and expensive - when it's not.

The recent Carwow video listing the worst 10 cars for reliability & repairs in the uk (based on Warranty Wise figures) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lu4-tXJZxi0 has a lot of VAG cars in the list, but no mention of DSG gearboxes. It might be however that mechatronic units are not included in the cover for cars over 6 years or 60,000 miles old, so the only mechatronics that would show up in their stats are ones where the car is out of manufacturers warranty and is also fairly young.
    They said the problem on my golf could have been the clutches which are just as common as the mechatronic unit and cost about £1.5 k it’s not uncommon for both to go

Craftsman
    We have the 15 with the DSG and I find the lack of response when trying to pull out at junctions, roundabouts can be quite dangerous.
    You press the accelerator and it as it’s in pause, then all of a sudden everything wakes up and it’s off usually with a wheel spin!
    I find the issues are a lot less when it’s set in S mode.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app