closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Let's see your guitars

Hybrid View

Recently acquired this DC Phat with a Roswell stacked P90. Plays great!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

This is a Christmas present from my wife, so I haven't played it yet. Took it out the box to check it over, then back in the box for a few weeks!!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nr73 View Post
    This is a Christmas present from my wife, so I haven't played it yet. Took it out the box to check it over, then back in the box for a few weeks!!

Very cool indeed!

Craftsman
    Just wondering if anyone has tried the Boss Waza air headphones? I spend a lot of time just noodling on my unplugged Tele due to noise restrictions etc. Theses seem to get great reviews but I'm struggling to stomach the price tag. Anyone used them?

Quote Originally Posted by Petewon View Post
    Just wondering if anyone has tried the Boss Waza air headphones? I spend a lot of time just noodling on my unplugged Tele due to noise restrictions etc. Theses seem to get great reviews but I'm struggling to stomach the price tag. Anyone used them?
    I have them and thought I'd use them a lot, but in the end haven't got as much out of them as I'd hoped.

Good things: Very simple, sound OK, comfortable for short period, super fast way to pick up a guitar and play wherever you want, great for travelling.
    Bad things: limited tone without a phone app which adds to faff, the head/speakers moving thing is great for 3 minutes but it drifts and gets annoying, long periods of headphone use is uncomfortable.

I use it to listen to jam tracks from the PC and play on top of. It's great at that. The other main use is when I'd take guitar to hotels with work for something to do - but I don't need that any more.

I prefer to use my yamaha THR10II with wireless jack and wired (more comfortable) headphones if I'm honest. I'm glad I have them, but only get used when I'm away from my study.

Craftsman
    Thanks.
    I ended up buying a pair and so far have not used them as much as I thought I would. I think the sound qualty is very good but the presets I have used seem to have some kind of fake reverb, I assume to try and give that kid of amp in the room effect, Im not too keen on it. I've not given them much of a chance though so will try and get a few hours in with them through the evenings this week.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by guinea View Post
    I have them and thought I'd use them a lot, but in the end haven't got as much out of them as I'd hoped.

Good things: Very simple, sound OK, comfortable for short period, super fast way to pick up a guitar and play wherever you want, great for travelling.
    Bad things: limited tone without a phone app which adds to faff, the head/speakers moving thing is great for 3 minutes but it drifts and gets annoying, long periods of headphone use is uncomfortable.

I use it to listen to jam tracks from the PC and play on top of. It's great at that. The other main use is when I'd take guitar to hotels with work for something to do - but I don't need that any more.

I prefer to use my yamaha THR10II with wireless jack and wired (more comfortable) headphones if I'm honest. I'm glad I have them, but only get used when I'm away from my study.
    I've also got a Yamaha THR10II. I more often than not plug headphones into it as I tend to play mostly after work and seeing as I finish work at 10pm it's a little late to be annoying the neighbours.

Nice!

Changing the topic slightly.

I have a bit of time on my hands and thoguht I might try to get some guitar lessons. I'm not a beginner, but I'm not great either.

Ideally I'd like a mixture of theory and musicianship as well as some guitar skills.

Given the covid situation I guess lessons are online, so 2 questions:

1. are online music lessons any good?
    2. any recommendations?

Master
    Try : https://www.justinguitar.com/

Basically free (with advertising) and there's a community there that can help you with specific questions.

Also just search YouTube for specific things - there are tons of very capable players and teachers on there now covering hundreds of topics from beginner to intermediate to highly advanced. Ask questions here as well if you like, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    Try : https://www.justinguitar.com/

Basically free (with advertising) and there's a community there that can help you with specific questions.

Also just search YouTube for specific things - there are tons of very capable players and teachers on there now covering hundreds of topics from beginner to intermediate to highly advanced. Ask questions here as well if you like, of course.
    I like justinguitar, I also subscribe to activemelody - I'm good for online resources.

What I really want the motivation of a real tutor who can address my faults and challenge me.

This arrived today. It will be my last guitar purchase for a while, having gone from 3 guitars to 8 during lockdown! Might sell the bass because I’m not gelling with it, although suspect a 6 string bass would be more my cuppa.

This is a Brian May tribute model, and although it doesn’t sport the series pickup possibilities that Brian’s Red Special has, it does have the phase switches for each pickup. This allows you to get many of the out of phase sounds he uses on various tracks.

Yesterday I also received my Spark 40 which is app driven, has a great bass rich sound and is a lot of fun. You can simply search tonecloud for any tone, and try it or download it then modify it instantly. It does have limitations, but what it does it does very well indeed.

Combine these two and I’ve been playing some pretty authentic sounding queen tracks all afternoon! The BM75 plays great!

Quote Originally Posted by ubruz View Post
    Tell me more. Any LP in a case that has the blanket must be interesting!

Not quite on topic as it is not my guitar.
    I took this pic on my phone at a gig last year (remember them?) The band had finished the main set and gone off before they came back for the encore .
    The guitarist leant his guitar on the amp when he went off. I think that Guild guitar could tell a tale or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    I took this pic on my phone at a gig last year (remember them?) The band had finished the main set and gone off before they came back for the encore .
    The guitarist leant his guitar on the amp when he went off. I think that Guild guitar could tell a tale or two.
    Fantastic photo and great story. That picture is worthy of hanging over the fireplace in any home.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    That worn out old Guild reminds of a dear old chap I used to know who used to be into jazz and Samba and played out all the time.

He had a similar guitar (bit more paint on but well worn).

He taught me my first three chords A-D-E for which I am eternally grateful.

Thanks Jack!
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Family is growing.

I always wanted to try stratocaster style guitar and when I saw this beauty I knew I have to buy it just because of the bright orange colour ��

Quote Originally Posted by Normunds View Post
    Family is growing.

I always wanted to try stratocaster style guitar and when I saw this beauty I knew I have to buy it just because of the bright orange colour ��
    Gotta love that orange!! Enjoy it sir!!

Small mod on the BM-75 today, fitting a pair of vol/tone controls from Brian May Guitars. In a year or so I plan on buying the official BMG Red Special, but this is serving me well for now. I'm tempted to modify the wiring to run the pickups in series, if I can figure out the mods needed.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nr73 View Post
    Small mod on the BM-75 today, fitting a pair of vol/tone controls from Brian May Guitars. In a year or so I plan on buying the official BMG Red Special, but this is serving me well for now. I'm tempted to modify the wiring to run the pickups in series, if I can figure out the mods needed.

That looks great and I would definitely recommend a BMG Red Special.

Cheers
    Neil

Hanging buddies

Hanging buddies

I'd be interested to know what makes you have there.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    I'd be interested to know what makes you have there.
    Black is Jolana from Czechoslovakia. It's a copy of Gibson, at least 40 years old. Orange one is Crush by Orange.

Black is Jolana from Czechoslovakia. It's a copy of Gibson, at least 40 years old. Orange one is Crush by Orange.
    Thanks.

I remember back in the '60's quite a few Guitars came over here from Czechoslovakia.

Crush by Orange - that's interesting. Couldn't really be any other colour could it?
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Groundrush View Post
    New guitar day for me yesterday (the PRS) so I thought I'd post a SOTC as it were.

LtoR: A modified G&L ASAT Classic Tribute, Gibson LP Studio, Gibson LP R8, PRS 277 SE Baritone, G&L Legacy Tribute and a Stonebridge acoustic.

[/url]
    Nice! That PRS baritone looks fun, how does it play?

New guitar day for me yesterday (the PRS) so I thought I'd post a SOTC as it were.

LtoR: A modified G&L ASAT Classic Tribute, Gibson LP Studio, Gibson LP R8, PRS 277 SE Baritone, G&L Legacy Tribute and a Stonebridge acoustic.

[/url]
    That R8 is super ducky!
    Cheers,
    Neil.

I have been down the guitar rabbit hole again recently and come back up with a couple of guitars, so thought it only right to include them here.

The new ‘uns

That’s an American Original Telecaster Custom 72 RI in ‘Mocha’. The blonde one looks nicer but this was cheaper. It has a remake of a proper CuNiFe Wide Range Humbucker after Fender stopped using CuNiFe for magnets years ago

Fullerton made G&L ASAT Classic Bluesboy from 2016. Came with all the relevant docs and G&L case too.

And the old ones:

Custom Shop Telecaster Custom 72 RI ‘Closet Classic’
    Quite what I need with 3 neck humbucker Teles is beyond me. But whatever.

USA Std Strat. Was black and white but I turned it all black to match the CS Tele

Epiphone Dot (335) with a Burstbucker and a Rio Grande Texas Humbucker. Last of the Korean made guitars, owes me £230 from Thomann in 2004 and whatever the cost of the Pearly Gates I fitted to the Les Paul I took these pickups out of. Also don’t panic about playing it like I did with a proper ES-335.

Patrick Eggle (not to be confused with Patrick James Eggle) ‘New Wave’. All maple, very bright. Needs fixing.

Martin HD28-V. Bloody love this guitar but would still swap it in a heartbeat for an HD28-VS or a D28 Authentic 1937.

Crafter Lite something or other. Bought it from a Cash Converters type shop in Northampton for £30. It had a pick up fitted and a hole drilled next to the heel for a volume pot, plus the top is coming away from the side around the bottom bout. These were about £100 in 2005 (because I bought one that I subsequently gave to a ex-girlfriends daughter) and rose to about my £215 by the time I found this. They sounded great for the money as it was probably one of the cheapest solid-topped guitars you could buy at the time.

Master
    Swapped out three of the chrome ferrules on my Thinline Tele for nickel ones. I use it for jazz mainly, and as some readers will know, the wound strings on a Tele can rob half-diminished chords in the lower register of some of their melancholy - unless you use flatwounds, but I generally don't.

I find that nickel mitigates this a little, possibly at the expense of a touch of sustain.

My wife bought me the Lazarus Epiphone for Christmas! I'm really looking forward to that arriving.

This will be my first Epiphone since my second ever guitar, a Epi Les Paul in 1994 (I have a few Gibsons now :) )

Brought another home!!

Hi all

A chap on facey markeplace advertised several guitars, All rubbish but one stuck out like a sore thumb even though the pics weren't very good!

This guitar as it turns out was made by a local cabinet maker of 27 years that also worked at Lowden guitars and Avalon guitars in Ireland!

It's prototype number 01, Looking at the makers website, He appears to have only made two guitars, This one was given as a freebie to his neighbour when he was moving out for putting up with the noise from his machinery but on the proviso that he kept it and didn't sell it!

I contacted the maker about the guitar, This is how I know!, Apparently after my email to him he thought the guitar may have been burgled from his old neighbour and messaged him to ask about it, The guy sent a load of guitars including this one to a charity shop!

The maker is understandably pretty miffed about it!, It has problems now though with a high action, It turned out that there was amassive underbow in the neck, I tightend the trussrod which has improved playability but is still a bit higher than the optimum!

I feel so bad for the chap that I probably will let him have it back

The guitar was only £30

By the way, I have replaced those skanky old strings!!

John..

How about this for something different?

Took me a long time to find one of these in the UK. They weren't in production for very long and I dont think Eastwood plan to make any more.

Eastwood Astrojet Tenor

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    Hi all

A chap on facey markeplace advertised several guitars, All rubbish but one stuck out like a sore thumb even though the pics weren't very good!

This guitar as it turns out was made by a local cabinet maker of 27 years that also worked at Lowden guitars and Avalon guitars in Ireland!

It's prototype number 01, Looking at the makers website, He appears to have only made two guitars, This one was given as a freebie to his neighbour when he was moving out for putting up with the noise from his machinery but on the proviso that he kept it and didn't sell it!

I contacted the maker about the guitar, This is how I know!, Apparently after my email to him he thought the guitar may have been burgled from his old neighbour and messaged him to ask about it, The guy sent a load of guitars including this one to a charity shop!

The maker is understandably pretty miffed about it!, It has problems now though with a high action, It turned out that there was amassive underbow in the neck, I tightend the trussrod which has improved playability but is still a bit higher than the optimum!

I feel so bad for the chap that I probably will let him have it back

The guitar was only £30

By the way, I have replaced those skanky old strings!!

John..
    £30 for that????

I'd hang on to it John.

Looks a cracker.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Journeyman
    Check out reverb for an idea on prices. I think a lot of guitars bought during lock down are finding new homes now. Never too late to learn

Had a new incoming recently. I think I'm ready for my mullet now

Quote Originally Posted by Thom4711 View Post

James Hetfield would be proud..

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    James Hetfield would be proud..
    Thanks guys. Must confess that Harvester of Sorrow was the very first riff I played when it arrived

That's gorgeous Thom!
    Cheers,
    Neil.

A classic ! Allen Collins wasn't half bad !

Craftsman
    New arrival today, a Taylor GS Mini koa. Until I tried a few last week I hadn't played acoustic for over thirty years but I have fallen a little bit in love with this one. I particularly like the pattern/grain on the ebony fretboard.

Quote Originally Posted by smoz View Post
    New arrival today, a Taylor GS Mini koa. Until I tried a few last week I hadn't played acoustic for over thirty years but I have fallen a little bit in love with this one. I particularly like the pattern/grain on the ebony fretboard.

That looks lovely.

I know they are well thought of around here.

@Magirus (Bob) has one IIRC.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by smoz View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    That looks lovely.

I know they are well thought of around here.

@Magirus (Bob) has one IIRC.

Your memory serves you well Neil! I've had mine for a good few years now. I've tittivated it a little, but still haven't got around to the Gotoh tuners yet. There's a few pics in this thread.

F.T.F.A.

Journeyman
    Thanks guys, I will give the credit card ago. Its just to make it more playable for my daughter, like I say a kit assembly. The fun was in the build.
    The project self build tele looks great 👍. There was a guy doing a similar course (guitar build) in our town, unfortunately I discovered him too late as he was moving away but it was somthing I really fancied. Some of the results were quite stunning, especially in the more natural finishes.

Craftsman

My recent addition - Gibson Les Paul 1959 Reissue.

Plays like butter!

Quote Originally Posted by lawler View Post

Plays like butter!
    That's beautiful. I had a 58 that looked just like that years ago, I still miss it to this day. Probably the best guitar I will ever own. In fact I've just realised the headstock is by the side of this comment!

Quote Originally Posted by lawler View Post

Plays like butter!
    That's a saucy R9!

Hope the butter doesn't get too sticky though.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Talking of Les Pauls, it always used to bug me how Americans called them 'Less Pauls'. I then realized that as the guitarist Les Paul's full name was Lester Paul, the 'Less' pronunciation is obviously the correct way (and of course the way Les Paul himself would have said it). Just one of those British things, I guess, along with Braun, Porsche etc.

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    Talking of Les Pauls, it always used to bug me how Americans called them 'Less Pauls'. I then realized that as the guitarist Les Paul's full name was Lester Paul, the 'Less' pronunciation is obviously the correct way (and of course the way Les Paul himself would have said it). Just one of those British things, I guess, along with Braun, Porsche etc.
    His full name was actually Lester Polfuss aka rhubarb red.

I don't mind Americans calling them Less Pauls as that is their way but I hate anybody calling them "Lesters" - annoying.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Enjoying these Les Pauls. I went and found a picture of my old CR8.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by gingerpaul View Post
    Enjoying these Les Pauls. I went and found a picture of my old CR8.
    May as well post it properly.

Lovely!

Cheers,
    Neil.

That ‘59 is very nice indeed! All of my favourite noises come out of Les Paul’s, love them. Here’s my 58 reissue next to my most recent addition (besides a digital piano I can’t play). The 335 is a bit like hugging a wardrobe by comparison. With the gain turned up it’s 90% Les Paul with 20% more shouting, but clean it’s warmer and sweeter with more bloom. Both brilliant in their own way

A lovely pair!
    Cheers,
    Neil.