closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Longines Heritage 1954 ?

Longines Heritage 1954 ?

I ordered this before I found the forum.

I have taken a look around here and don't see much Longines talk and nothing shows up when I search Longines Heritage 1954.

What are every ones thoughts about Longines?

Does anyone have experience of Swiss Watches Direct? They seem OK to me, I get a weekly update to say what is happening with my order, even though nothing is happening.

I picked this particular model because none of the AD's in Nottingham stock it and I figured it would be a little unique. Starting to think this may have been a mistake.

Les.

Longines make some fine watches. I was checking that one out last night as it looks like a fine office watch, albeit I'm having a quartz crisis at the moment.

The brand is at the lower end of the luxury market which I think is why it is overlooked. It's not a micro or boutique brand that people love, but not full luxury and exclusive so can get ignored.

Have courage in your convictions, its lovely.

Steve

Master
    Ditto great brand, there was a Longines thread not so long ago and there seems to be a decent amount of respect for the brand on this forum. I do prefer leather straps to the bracelets though. Enjoy your new purchase.

Journeyman
    (Of the bigger brands) I think Longines is clearly No. 1 on it's price range / category. Great history, timeless design and good quality.

The brand seems to have had a very good reputation in the 50s &60s better in many ways than Omega, but somewhere it lost its way after that, however the good news is slowly it appears to be finding favour again, the piece you have ordered looks fine to me (FWIW) enjoy the experience.

Thank you all for your thoughts.
    This came about with a visit to a Nottingham AD. I was torn between this and an Omega SMP. The price difference played a hugh part in this but I knew if I didn't get this one first I never would. Like I mentioned earlier, I was starting to get a little nervous about the lack of both Make and Model information here and elsewhere compared to all the PP, Rolex, Omega and Seiko posts. I am certain I will get the SMP sometime in the next 12 months because the heritage is a must have in my collection. I also have a soft spot for Mr Bond and am also in the market for a Seamaster 2220.80 which I may have been lucky enough to source second hand from a Nottingham boutique for under a grand.

Les

Craftsman
    No need to fret mate, that looks lovely to me. Also, the others have explained the general position and view of Longines very well I think. Wear and enjoy it

I was admiring these this very afternoon as it happens!

I had to go to the city centre, to do some other stuff. So I was looking at Longines Legend Divers, I saw the 1954 too, they look really nice.....so I ended up, buying.........................nothing!

I was in a similar position to yourself when I bought a Heritage 1973, you start to get a wee bit nervous as it is a bit of a chunk of money to spend, but once home and on the wrist I was over the moon with my choice and happy I'd made the right one.

You can also be certain you have bought into one of Switzerlands oldest and most distinguished horology brands still going. They have a huge history which they simply don't shout about or utilise fully to market their products. I kind of like that though. In your watch you have a chrono based on a classic valjoux 7750 movement that would cost double to triple the price in any other make. Here's a great piece about just how nice these movements are..

http://grail-watch.com/2015/02/08/cu...7750-variants/

Another forum member had a recent thread on his Heritage 1954 panda, and I have to say it his photo of it on the wrist was the nicest rendition I have seen. Nice enough to start looking at them myself, even though I'm saving for a Heritage Diver 1967!

As long as you like it, then buy it, wear it and enjoy it.
    Last edited by Nuisance Value; 7th September 2015 at 21:00. Reason: Edited out column wheel movement, not sure it is, but still a great movement.

Good choice! I have owned one, and it's the one watch I really regret selling. The dial is beautiful and the blued hands are absolutely amazing. Here's a picture of mine:

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    That's the one, a lovely pic of that Longines.

Craftsman
    There is some very interesting models in the heritage range .They have tweeked the movements with longer power reserves etc .They are fairly priced and make a good introduction into real mechanical watches .Some of the chronos look particularly interesting

Quote Originally Posted by Nuisance Value View Post
    That's the one, a lovely pic of that Longines.
    It's not a column wheel movement though – those are a few more £££s than these, which are standard 7750 with a bit of Longines fettling.

Very nice looking watch - I have had enough of the 7750 dial layout though, just had too many!

Longines case and dial finishing really is top notch at their price point.

It's not a column wheel movement though – those are a few more £££s than these, which are standard 7750 with a bit of Longines fettling.
    Yes, my mistake that, I assumed it was the same as the Heritage '73 (which is another Longines modded 7750) but it isn't. Still, cracking movement for the money, I really like those panda dialled '54s, if a secondhand one cropped up I'd probably get it.

I've had a few over the years and at the moment I have a column wheel chrono that is excellent for the money. They are one of the few sensibly priced Swiss brands out there at the moment and they do make some lovely stuff - particularly in the heritage range. My only gripe is that the swatch machine keeps them deliberately in the shadow of Omega which is a bit of a shame as longines has just as much history.
    Tim

I owned the 1954 Heritage and still think it's a great watch. I would certainly consider another. I compared the silver dial to the panda dial version for ages but for me the silver was the nicest of the two.

The Blued hands are lovely and the 40mm is a nice size on the wrist. Some don't like the "wobble" of the 7750 but it was one feature that I enjoyed.

You've got a lovely watch. Enjoy it!

As has been said they make some nice watches and like every other brand some not so nice ones ! They also don't really fit into any category either ... As they sit below the well know brands like omega , ect . And do not fit into the category of a small enthusiasts brand non high street like Sinn . But they do seen good value ...

Thanks to you all for the information.
    I am back to really looking forward to my wednesday update and this arriving.
    I did checkout the panda and black dial versions of the 1954 but like Mr Tetley I preferred the look of the silver.

Again, thanks all.

Les

Craftsman
    Longines is definitely a great brand with a fantastic history. Their chronos are fantastic and one of the cheapest ways to get a column wheel.
    I absolutely love this one;

Just gorgeous and the price is eye opening.

Grand Master
    Some of the column-wheel versions are quite amazing, but they take a good, hard beating on the used market. The 1954 version ordered by YOLT :) is probably one of the better ones:

1954 New £1,200 will probably sell or trade in for £700 (loss £500)
    1973 New £2,100 will probably sell or trade in for £1,100 (loss £1,000)

Everything else from Longines from the "non-iconic" ranges you can instantly wipe a good 50% off, if intending to flip/lease.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Not to worry about going with that Longines.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray View Post
    Not to worry about going with that Longines.

Nice reference.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    The brand seems to have had a very good reputation in the 50s &60s better in many ways than Omega, but somewhere it lost its way after that, however the good news is slowly it appears to be finding favour again, the piece you have ordered looks fine to me (FWIW) enjoy the experience.
    Yes, i have wondered about what happened as well. I read somewhere that Bogart etc wore Longines, so strange what happened.

Journeyman
    The pictured longines looks great and they may loose value but that's only when you sell them, nice watch as part of a collection

Nice watch OP 👌 Longines are a cool brand and doing great things at the moment...

Sadly not a manual wind like the original but fab looks.

£2k available to pre order from Jura.

Nice review...

http://www.watchesbysjx.com/2015/05/...diver.html?m=1

Not too shabby in the movement department, nice column wheel auto and no display back 😎

Last edited by TimeOut; 14th September 2015 at 16:59.

Master
    That's a stunning watch, can't go wrong with that one. Longines make beautiful watches at good prices, that have stayed reasonable while other Swiss brands, that mainly use ETA movements, have increased their prices drastically (think of TH). I'm still very much in love with the LLD and my wife's Les Grandes Classiques is her favorite.

Pic 😉

Love that!

Does it have a display back?

Are the crowns screw down?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TimeOut View Post
    Love that!

Does it have a display back?

Are the crowns screw down?
    Are you referring to the Legend Diver? It doesn't have a display back but it does have screw down crowns.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperC View Post
    Are you referring to the Legend Diver? It doesn't have a display back but it does have screw down crowns.
    Yes, sorry should have quoted. Thanks for he info, it will go onto my wanted list 😎

Marvellous for me that it doesn't have a display back, I prefer "heritage" pieces without them.

Master
    Yes, sorry should have quoted. Thanks for he info, it will go onto my wanted list 

Marvellous for me that it doesn't have a display back, I prefer "heritage" pieces without them.
    At this price I really can't think of a better/nicer watch. Along with the Deepsea, this is my favorite.

You won't regret buying one of these.

Swiss Watches Direct - Noooooo!

Life is full of disappointments.
    Placed my order with Swiss Watches Direct 5 weeks ago and was eagerly anticipating that todays update email would be good news about my watches imminent arrival.
    Instead this arrived:-

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Unfortunately, we have just learned that your watch was not available for immediate delivery to the dealer and had to be ordered in from Switzerland for you. In our experience this leads to a typical delay of around 2-3 weeks.

Due to this unforeseen hold-up, your order has been escalated to Ashley (the Sales Director) who will be monitoring the situation closely and he will update you as soon as there is any news. If you do not hear from Ashley for a couple of weeks then please be assured that he will be doing all that he can to get the watch to you quickly and that your order will be receiving constant attention.

We sincerely apologise for any inconvenience caused by this delay with the manufacturer.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So it looks like will now have to chase them on a weekly basis for an update. I am really disappointed and confused, surely if the order was placed with the AD 5 weeks ago then the dealer would have been waiting for it to be delivered from Switzerland and not effected my delivery time at all.

Should I contact them and ask for some kind of compensation and if so what?

Les

That's a shame you have to wait but what are they compensating you for, did you pay a deposit?

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    That's a shame you have to wait but what are they compensating you for, did you pay a deposit?
    Yes, I paid a £500 deposit, but wondered if anyone would ask to be compensated for the delay past the original 4-5 weeks quoted delivery time.

Personally I would cancel the order, as is your right under the SoGA, and take a look at this:

http://www.iconicwatches.co.uk/longi...FQoYwwodBKELgw

I think if you are getting a good price then stay patient and enjoy the excitement waiting for it to arrive (usually sadly the best bit) reading their communication they seem to be on the ball

If you cant wait request a refund and buy from a local AD (i take it this model is easily sourced?) and pay a little more to take it straight home

I don't think its being unreasonable requesting your deposit back so the choice is yours, i don't really think any sort of compensation is justified but then i am quite easy going

Quote Originally Posted by You Only Live Twice View Post
    Yes, I paid a £500 deposit, but wondered if anyone would ask to be compensated for the delay past the original 4-5 weeks quoted delivery time.
    I had to wait 6-8 weeks for mine to arrive. The order was placed with Goldsmiths.

I would hang on. The wait will be worth it!

But there's a brand new one available now at Iconic.co.uk – next day delivery and 18% off rrp. Unless SWD is an unbelievable price, I would cancel and go for the one I posted, which is still a very good price.

But there's a brand new one available now at Iconic.co.uk – next day delivery and 18% off rrp. Unless SWD is an unbelievable price, I would cancel and go for the one I posted, which is still a very good price.
    I saw the Iconic one which is £15 cheaper. But SWD do interest free credit and I was/am happy to wait for delivery and stretch the outlay until Feb-Mar next year. Just really frustrating that they can't stick to their original delivery estimate.

I was already a little nervous about spending this much through a website and figured that at least by using credit I would be cover by the Consumer Credit Agreement should anything go wrong.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Tetley View Post
    I had to wait 6-8 weeks for mine to arrive. The order was placed with Goldsmiths.

I would hang on. The wait will be worth it!
    The fact that you also had to wait this long from Goldsmiths as made me feel a little better about this situation so thank you for sharing that news, it is much appreciated.

Nice watch OP 👌 Longines are a cool brand and doing great things at the moment...

Sadly not a manual wind like the original but fab looks.

£2k available to pre order from Jura.

Nice review...

http://www.watchesbysjx.com/2015/05/...diver.html?m=1

Not too shabby in the movement department, nice column wheel auto and no display back 😎

Been waiting on these being released since first shown at Basel. Can be had £260 cheaper at Iconic though. Definitely my next new purchase.

NEWS! NEWS! Latest update

I am still waiting for the delivery of my watch from Swiss Watches Direct when I spotted a price drop on their website

A quick email to Swiss Watches and they have agreed to match the new price and credit my account with £40 to match this price drop. I am very happy with this and I am just eager to get the watch delivered. This Thursday will be seven weeks since I paid a deposit and placed the order with a 5 week delivery estimate.

NEWS! NEWS! Latest update

The end is nigh! And it is not a happy ending.

I received this update from Swiss Watches Direct yesterday

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The dealer spoke to Longines today about your order from 13th August. Longines has assured the dealer that they will be able to fulfil your order as it is still a current model. However, they are experiencing production delays in Switzerland and cannot confirm a delivery date which is very frustrating. In our experience, we would be very surprised if your watch was not delivered by the end of this month.

Given the situation, the dealer has agreed, should you decide not to wait any longer, that you can change your order to a watch readily available or even cancel your order which would mean that we can refund your deposit in full.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I endeavoured to then order a blue Omega Seamaster only to be told they have a black one in stock but the blue are not available for "a week or so".

So, after much wailing and gnashing of teeth, I have put this horse out of it's misery and cancelled the order.

I now have something else winging its way toward my grieving wrist, so as they say on the TV, "stay tuned for the next exciting episode....."

That's a tinker. At least any possible buyers remorse will be out of the system by now.

I don't know where you're located but... The model you posted plus several others including the one button, square case reissue chrono are available at Gatwick South Terminal. Great prices too. If you call them to reserve they will deliver to the departures entrance for you.

I wish companies would be more open about wait times and only show actual stock on their websites.