closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 140 of 365 FirstFirst ... 4090130138139140141142150190240 ... LastLast
Results 6,951 to 7,000 of 18224

Thread: More bike related stuff

Master
    That’s the chief designer of the CCM Spitfire, Chris Ratcliffe, who’s since set up on his own.
    Hence the resemblance.

Quote Originally Posted by MadeOfCheese View Post
    That’s the chief designer of the CCM Spitfire, Chris Ratcliffe, who’s since set up on his own.
    Hence the resemblance.
    Blimey - more than a passing resemblance, too!

Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post
    not sure if this has been posted before , but for those that like cafe racer style bikes this is a new british build 2 stroke , at around £28k +VAT i think its overpriced (you could buy a scrap 250/250 old lc and make your own for much less) - none the less its a nice looking thing :)

https://langenmotorcycles.co.uk/the2stroke/
    not sure if this has been posted before , but for those that like cafe racer style bikes this is a new british build 2 stroke , at around £28k +VAT i think its overpriced (you could buy a scrap 250/250 old lc and make your own for much less) - none the less its a nice looking thing :)

https://langenmotorcycles.co.uk/the2stroke/
    Bloody hell. 114kg and 80bhp. That will be unbelievably good fun.

I’d buy it if it was 8k.

Quote Originally Posted by Plake View Post
    Bloody hell. 114kg and 80bhp. That will be unbelievably good fun.

I’d buy it if it was 8k.
    I notice that the Ohlins forks have been fitted "right way up". What's the benefit of the upside down forks we tend to see these days?

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I notice that the Ohlins forks have been fitted "right way up". What's the benefit of the upside down forks we tend to see these days?
    Lowers the CoG?
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Stiffer apparently Tony, although I doubt anyone could tell on the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Lowers the CoG?
    Upside down would raise it surely? All the mechanism/spring etc is at the top?

On another note can someone please buy Tony’s bike... my willpower is weakening!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt8500 View Post
    Upside down would raise it surely? All the mechanism/spring etc is at the top?
    No, UpD is with bigger tube at the wheel.

Master
    I thought Upside Down was with the outer tube at the top?
    Because original/older style (Right Way Up) used to be outer tube at the bottom?

Regardless, the advantage of outer tube at the top is that it means less unsprung weight, so theoretically the wheel can move more easily in response to the road surface.

That’s always been my understanding anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    No, UpD is with bigger tube at the wheel.
    Sorry, but that’s right way up!

On another note can someone please buy Tony’s bike... my willpower is weakening!
    I'll prepare the kettle

Sorry, but that’s right way up!
    I see. I had managed to convinced myself it was the other round. Sorry.

Stiffer apparently Tony, although I doubt anyone could tell on the road.
    Disclaimer: my knowledge of USD forks comes from mountain bikes where they occasionally come up from time-to-time (e.g. Maverick SC32)...
    Benefits are:
    • increased strength/weight
    • reduced unsprung mass

both of which will give better steering response

The major downside of USD forks is that the oil is held in above the seal so if the seal fails you lose all the oil very quickly often onto the brake caliper and rotor (which tends not to be a good thing).

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    hehe , ive said it before but im pretty sure drew pritchard of salvage hunters entire business plan was based on these harry enfield sketches.

Quote Originally Posted by MadeOfCheese View Post
    I thought Upside Down was with the outer tube at the top?
    Because original/older style (Right Way Up) used to be outer tube at the bottom?

Regardless, the advantage of outer tube at the top is that it means less unsprung weight, so theoretically the wheel can move more easily in response to the road surface.

That’s always been my understanding anyway.
    This, plus it's at the headstock that forces are concentrated. Having the larger diameter tubes here gives you greater rigidity.

Yep, stiffness and reduction in unsprung weight are the advantages of USD forks, one of the main downsides is that it relegates the shiny, swept surface of the forks to the grubbier end, so many USD fork bikes need additional shrouds to protect them from rubbish off the road (or other surface).

You'll struggle to find a nicer and more unique R9T than that, just buy it

Master
    Just bought a 2015 KTM 690 Duke.

It's a lovely bike but the engine is such a pig low down.

I remember my Harley has similar vibrations but this is much worse. I bought some Vance & Hines remapper and this made it loads better

I read that they run very lean from the factory so I have ordered one of these Booster plugs.

Does anyone have any experience of these?

I know its a single and they are generally rough but I've got a 2018 390 duke and its smooth as butter in comparison
    Last edited by bigweb; 18th September 2020 at 11:25.

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    Yep, stiffness and reduction in unsprung weight are the advantages of USD forks, one of the main downsides is that it relegates the shiny, swept surface of the forks to the grubbier end, so many USD fork bikes need additional shrouds to protect them from rubbish off the road (or other surface).
    They also look so much better, especially with radial calipers.

Without any knowledge of these things, it’s easy to tell that they are superior as they’re used on all Moto GP, WSB etc bikes and they’re not going to use inferior products are they?

Like everything else though, on the road the improvements are hard to spot.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by bigweb View Post

I read that they run very lean from the factory so I have ordered one of these Booster plugs.

I helped develop the booster plugs for the Triumph Tiger 1050. Made a huge difference removing all the snatch from pickup. Got one for the 800 as well but Triumph sorted the throttle on that so I didn't need it in the end.

It's a lovely bike but the engine is such a pig low down.

I remember my Harley has similar vibrations but this is much worse. I bought some Vance & Hines remapper and this made it loads better

I know its a single and they are generally rough but I've got a 2018 390 duke and its smooth as butter in comparison
    I've run a Booster plug in the past, it will smooth things out but it will decrease the performance a little I found, remap or power commander is the best solution.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    I've run a Booster plug in the past, it will smooth things out but it will decrease the performance a little I found, remap or power commander is the best solution.
    If it sorts the low end out but blunts outright performance by 5% I'm ok with it as the bike is more than fast enough.

Such a weird power delivery. It reminds me of when performance diesel cars first came out.

A real hit of torque over quite a short rev range (for a bike at least)

If it sorts the low end out but blunts outright performance by 5% I'm ok with it as the bike is more than fast enough.

Such a weird power delivery. It reminds me of when performance diesel cars first came out.

A real hit of torque over quite a short rev range (for a bike at least)
    Makes the bike run a bit rich, you'll notice how black the exhaust tips get not long after using it

Grand Master
    hehe , ive said it before but im pretty sure drew pritchard of salvage hunters entire business plan was based on these harry enfield sketches.
    Thats basically anyone considering buying one of those bikes
    RIAC

Master
    Well I finally bit the bullet. I thought I was happy enough pootling around on my 125s on my A1 license. I mean I could take the wife on the back, take the motorways, no L plates..... but in the end there’s just too many nice bikes out there to ignore.
    So, I sold both my bikes:-
    Mondial

My rebuilt Honda bobber

Upgraded my A1 to full A yesterday... and finally have my first ‘big bike’

Picked up a 2008 Triumph Speedmaster that seemed mechanically ok although a wee bit tatty:-

Been working on sprucing her up a bit while I was waiting on my Module 2 to come around, and managed to get out for her first ride at lunch time:

Can’t wait to finish work and get out for a ride tonight!
    Andy.

Master
    Took full advantage of a day off work and the good weather to get out for a ride.
    Off to Wales again in a couple of weeks - fingers crossed for good weather.

Master
    Some lovely bikes there ^^^

That Mondial is superb - only 125??

Master
    Yep, it’s the engine from the Aprilia RS125 so it was actually not too much of a slouch, and extremely chuckable through traffic.
    Ran it for 2yrs and sold it for £100 less than I bought it for... so really can’t complain !!

Master
    My new Rocket arrived at the dealers today👍. Collection is scheduled for next Saturday.

Master
    Andrew how long before the modifications begin?

Steve

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    My new Rocket arrived at the dealers today👍. Collection is scheduled for next Saturday.

Owwww that looks great. Wish I could handle something that heavy!
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    Just ordered this.😈😱

So jealous., I have my rocket for sale to buy a GT. congratulations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Warrington, centre of the Universe and home of the Mighty Wire
    Looks real good Enoch. Let me know when you’re out and about North Wales, I cant wait to see the beast. Weather permitting, I’ll be doing the same route Sunday as we did last weekend if you’re out?

Stuart

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by I a n View Post
    Took full advantage of a day off work and the good weather to get out for a ride.
    Off to Wales again in a couple of weeks - fingers crossed for good weather...
    The bike's looking lovely, Ian.

Anyway, given that my own R9T is now sold I thought I'd elaborate a bit on the bike I've bought to replace it (which I'm collecting on Sunday). It's an absolutely mint Thruxton R from December 2016, with just 2500 miles on the clock and a host of mods/extras including:

Triumph LED indicators
    R&G tail tidy
    Weslake cat delete X-Pipe
    Weslake anodised bashplate
    Ironhead OVC11SS slip-on silencers
    Triumph tank/knee pads
    Motone Customs Union Jack carb/throttle body covers
    Booster plug

Aside from heated grips, that's pretty much everything I'd have wanted to do anyway (and the decat x-pipe is a bonus). Here's a couple of clips of the bike...

https://streamable.com/hsg0q / https://streamable.com/mlgu9

And some seller's photos...

Why the Thruxton R? Well, I'd kind of set my heart on a Speed Twin, and had discounted the Thruxton due to my original perception of the clip-on bars. However, after testing one i can honestly say it's the most comfortable ride of anything I've tried to date (and, for me, ergonomically perfect) - so much so that it immediately vied for position with the ST. However, the thing that won me over was the quality of components used on the R model - it really is a superior bike in many respects, and given that I prefer the styling anyway it quickly became a fairly easy decision for me. It's just a shame I didn't try one at the time I bought my Street Triple really, as I'd be a fair few quid better off than I am now. Then again, trying different bikes is loads of fun, so i don't really regret the path that I've inadvertently taken.

The R9T is a gorgeous bike and I've loved every minute that I've owned it. I have to say, though, that I'm happy to be back in the Triumph fold, which undoubtedly is where I belong.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 21st September 2020 at 07:58.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Andrew how long before the modifications begin?

Steve

How very dare you.😈

I’ve already got a plate for it, and I’m looking at a side mount to fit it on🤪🤪

Master
    The red seems pretty popular.....they’ve got 3 going out next week, + 1 black one.

Master
    The bike's looking lovely, Ian.

Anyway, given that my own R9T is now sold I thought I'd elaborate a bit on the bike I've bought to replace it (which I'm collecting on Sunday). It's an absolutely mint Thruxton R from December 2016, with just 2500 miles on the clock and a host of mods/extras including:

Triumph LED indicators
    R&G tail tidy
    Weslake decat X-Pipe
    Weslake anodised bashplate
    Ironhead OVC11SS slip-on silencers
    Triumph tank/knee pads
    Booster plug

Aside from heated grips, that's pretty much everything I'd have wanted to do anyway (and the decat x-pipe is a bonus). Here's a couple of clips of the bike...

https://streamable.com/hsg0q / https://streamable.com/mlgu9

And some seller's photos...

Why the Thruxton R? Well, I'd kind of set my heart on a Speed Twin, and had discounted the Thruxton due to my original perception of the clip-on bars. However, after testing one i can honestly say it's the most comfortable ride of anything I've tried to date (and, for me, ergonomically perfect) - so much so that it immediately vied for position with the ST. However, the thing that won me over was the quality of components used on the R model - it really is a superior bike in many respects, and given that I prefer the styling anyway it quickly became a fairly easy decision for me. It's just a shame I didn't try one at the time I bought my Street Triple really, as I'd be a fair few quid better off than I am now. Then again, trying different bikes is loads of fun, so i don't really regret the path that I've inadvertently taken.

The R9T is a gorgeous bike and I've loved every minute that I've owned it. I have to say, though, that I'm happy to be back in the Triumph fold, which undoubtedly is where I belong.

Tony that decat video sounds fruity. Looks like a much more focussed ride from your R9T. Id wager it will be a more involving ride and when you get off you will be knackered and fulfilled in equal measure. Looking forward to the weekends reveals of yours and Enochs new steeds.

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Tony that decat video sounds fruity. Looks like a much more focussed ride from your R9T. Id wager it will be a more involving ride and when you get off you will be knackered and fulfilled in equal measure. Looking forward to the weekends reveals of yours and Enochs new steeds.
    It does, Steve, doesn't it?

Sunday is going to involve a four and a half hour/four train outward journey (to Shrewsbury) and then a two and a half-three hour motorway ride home. I'm not sure that I'll be fit for much after that

Master
    It does, Steve, doesn't it?

Sunday is going to involve a five hour/four train outward journey (to Shrewsbury) and then a two and a half hour motorway ride home. I'm not sure that I'll be fit for much after that
    Ahhh.... so it’s from my neck of the woods... I have 3 friends with Thruxton R’s and they all love em.👍

Master
    Delighted for you Tony

It was the Thruxton that sowed the seed of me moving away from my Striple, but having owned bikes with sporty riding positions I knew it wasn't for me, not wrists but my back.

Which was why I was drawn to the Speed Twin when it came out. Although I think the Thruxton is the prettier bike the Speed Twin errs a bit more to the classic look which I like a lot. I love my ST, took it out tonight and loved every second, it was my first ride in the dark and the headlights are amazing (same on the Thruxton I believe).

Enjoy it and looking forward to your thoughts on it once you get it

Ahhh.... so it’s from my neck of the woods... I have 3 friends with Thruxton R’s and they all love em.
    Good to know, thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post
    Delighted for you Tony

It was the Thruxton that sowed the seed of me moving away from my Striple, but having owned bikes with sporty riding positions I knew it wasn't for me, not wrists but my back.

Which was why I was drawn to the Speed Twin when it came out. Although I think the Thruxton is the prettier bike the Speed Twin errs a bit more to the classic look which I like a lot. I love my ST, took it out tonight and loved every second, it was my first ride in the dark and the headlights are amazing (same on the Thruxton I believe).

Enjoy it and looking forward to your thoughts on it once you get it
    Thanks Simon. Even more reason to get a ride in the diary as it would be a great way to compare the two.

As an aside, my elbows are bent and my arms completely relaxed on this bike - more so than on any other bike i've ridden. No wrist strain whatsoever after a full hour of test riding.

Maybe its because I'm a short-arse.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 18th September 2020 at 22:39.

My new Rocket arrived at the dealers today. Collection is scheduled for next Saturday.

What a beast!

That's a bit of a bike, by the way

Warrington, centre of the Universe and home of the Mighty Wire
    Looking forward to a full ride report Tony. Interested to hear how the clip on type bars feel after a few hours good ride.

Stuart

Master
    That Triumph Rocket is an absolute ‘end game’ bike.

Where do you even go from there? It’s would be my Yellow gold green face Day Date 40 of a bike!

Congrats!

[QUOTE=bigweb;5535806]

Where do you even go from there? It’s would be my Yellow gold green face Day Date 40 of a bike!
    /QUOTE]

Boss Hoss 6.2 litre V8?

Master
    I can imagine a boss hoss being great to ride for a day or so but you would get over it quickly.

Would still love a go of one!

Quote Originally Posted by cinnabull View Post
    Looking forward to a full ride report Tony. Interested to hear how the clip on type bars feel after a few hours good ride.

Stuart

I'm slightly ashamed to say that I've bitten the bullet and opted for motorcycle transport with collection/delivery scheduled for tomorrow, Stuart. Five hours of multiple train rides (with the whole COVID issue playing a part), followed by at least three hours of motorway riding on a new, naked bike just seemed like an unnecessarily stressful option. I know the bike is mint so I reckon I can relax now.

The standard clip-ons have quite chunky risers so they're not particularly low, and I found that - without any noticeable forward lean - my elbows were very nicely bent, my arms were relaxed and I had no weight on my wrists. After an hour of riding my arms/wrists were still fine, as was my bum so I'm pretty sure it will be fine even on a long run.

I'm slightly ashamed to say that I've bitten the bullet and opted for motorcycle transport with collection/delivery scheduled for tomorrow, Stuart. Five hours of multiple train rides (with the whole COVID issue playing a part), followed by at least three hours of motorway riding on a new, naked bike just seemed like an unnecessarily stressful option. I know the bike is mint so I reckon I can relax now.

The standard clip-ons have quite chunky risers so they're not particularly low, and I found that - without any noticeable forward lean - my elbows were very nicely bent, my arms were relaxed and I had no weight on my wrists. After an hour of riding my arms/wrists were still fine, as was my bum so I'm pretty sure it will be fine even on a long run.
    No shame in that Tony, it’s not a bike for long motorway runs and the journey to get it sounds a nightmare. It wouldn’t surprise me if the transport is cheaper too.

WRT riding position, I too was surprised how roomy and comfortable it was given its design. It’s probably because it was designed for us more mature folk!