closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: 9 months since the last SOTC, so...

Threaded View

9 months since the last SOTC, so...

Well, it's been a while and I'm not going anywhere this slightly gloomy Saturday. There have also been a few changes since the end of last year. Anyway, let's start with the vintage...

Mid-1970’s Heuer Autavia 2446C GMT

I've had a couple of amazing Heuer GMT's in the past, but I always fancied the 2446C as I think the case is a bit more wearable (especially if you're clumsy!). I saw this one advertised on Instagram, of all places, but knew the seller from the Rolex Forum and VRF. This beauty had one previous owner, who was a retired Heuer watchmaker.

Mid-1970’s Heuer Montreal 110.53 NC

The second Heuer is the very underrated Montreal, again from the mid-seventies. This is actually the second one I've owned - I always regretted selling the first as I LOVE this model, so I just badgered Foxy until he sold me his. As you can see, the patina is to die for.

1981 Rolex Submariner 5513

This Mark IV Maxi really is one of the best 5513's I've ever seen, and is certainly the best I've ever owned. I have a list as long as your arm of people wanting to buy it, but it's going nowhere; it's also seen both sea and pool action as it's watertight to spec and... well, it's a diver!

1965 Bulova Accutron Astronaut Type 1

This watch, a hummer, is quite amazing in that it came as a full set (including purchase receipt), which really is incredibly rare. As you can see, it also has the most wonderful patina and a flawless dial, so it's rather special in my opinion. I wear this most weekends, although Bea has been pesterng me for it since it arrived.

1978 Seiko 7549-7010

This is another watch that I really love, although I have a soft spot for the Tuna anyway. I've yet to see a better one, and as this has been serviced and pressure tested in the recent past it's also seen a bit of pool action. A firm favourite.

1977 Seiko 6138-0040

I wrote an incoming post about this recently, which - after being fitted with a now impossible to find NOS bezel - is probably the best example you'll find anywhere. The Bullhead design is a bit mad, really, but I rather like it!

1978 Seiko 6306-7001

I've had countless 6309's, of course, but always wanted the JDM 6306 with it's hacking/handwinding (and slightly superior) movement. Finding them in this condition is difficult, and I reckon I waited a couple of years for one to turn up.

That's it for the vintage, so on to the modern...

2011 Glashutte Original Senator Perpetual Calendar

I've had this for about two and a half years now, slightly longer than my 5513. It came under pressure recently from a JLC PC but it's purity of form and unsurpassed quality of finish won the day. I realised then, in fact, that this is another watch that won't be going anywhere.

2013 Patek Philippe Aquanaut 5167/A

A couple of years ago I had to decide between an Aquanaut and an APRO, and chose the latter. I know now that - wonderful though the APRO is - I should have gone with my gut instinct. This is, in my opinion, the ultimate in modern sports watches... the rubber strap is also an absolute joy. A long termer, this one!

2014 Moser Mayu Marrone

Mosers are very hard to describe to anyone who hasn't had the pleasure of handling one - I doubt, though, that anyone makes watches to a higher standard and quality. Whenever I wear this I find myself staring at it, and the white gold case just adds another dimension in terms of both hue and heft. It really is a stunner.

2014 Grand Seiko SBGR061

I'm a big fan of Grand Seiko, both modern and vintage. Until recently I owned two modern variants in the knowledge that only one would stay... and it proved to be this one, the watch I got married in. Mesmerising dial, supreme quality, and the perfect simple three-hander.

2014 Panerai PAM337

I bought this new from an AD the best part of two years ago now, and it's the fifth Panerai that I've owned. The reason this one stuck is the size (at 42mm and with "wire" lugs, it's perfect for me) and the sheer adaptability. I love it dressed up, and I love it equally dressed down... in fact, aside from the Aquanaut it's probably the most versatile watch I've ever owned. The in-house movement is a bonus too, and Bea is now strongly hinting that she wants me to buy her a rose gold Radiomir!

2009 Breitling B-1 A78362

There's always room for a good ana-digi in a watch collection, and this super-quartz B-1 has to be up there with any serious contenders. They're quite hard to find now as most owners simply hang onto them; it's also a very different proposition to, say, an Aerospace but to my mind a far more serious watch.

2003 Sinn EZM1

This is another watch that I waited about three years for. However, the funny thing is it's also the precise watch that I bought for the first time a couple of years ago, and then found I had to return to the seller as there were some minor issues with it. I only realised that I'd bought it once again - this time following a full service and spa from Sinn - after I looked at the paperwork that came with it. And no, it's not for sale!

So, that's it then - 14 watches, and probably more than I'm comfortable owning. I should add that, whilst I've had a reputation for being a serial flipper, the average length of time I've had these watches as of today's date is 10 months. That doesn't sound like a flipper to me, especially as a few of them a pretty new arrivals. Anyway, hope you enjoyed the pictures
    Last edited by learningtofly; 7th September 2015 at 22:04.