closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: A quick (long-awaited) incoming post

Threaded View

A quick (long-awaited) incoming post

A few years ago, I'd not have considered buying a Seamaster. I thought they looked a bit bland, and really didn't get the crown-operated HEV (I still don't, in fact) for which there are seemingly far better design options. Over time, though, I've really warmed to them as an all-purpose watch and for the last couple of years I've been keeping a beady eye out for the right one to come along - not just here, but everywhere. I've missed a couple, rejected dozens, but a few days ago an absolute beauty was listed on SC by one of our resident watchmakers. In fact, by an ex-Omega watchmaker, no less.

The watch I wanted was the iconic, sword-handed 2254.50; not the most modern watch and superseded by god knows how many skeleton-handed, Bond or otherwise successors. Dated though it might be, the 2254.50 still houses a genuinely good movement in the calibre 1120. To quote John Holbrook from The Seamaster Reference Page:

The Omega cal. 1120 is an amazing movement, and an excellent choice for this watch. The movement was first introduced in 1996, and Omega uses the ETA 2892-A2 as the base ebauche, and heavily modifies it to produce the 1120. The base ETA 2892-A2 is widely considered the best movement ever produced by ETA (first introduced in 1975, with a lineage going back much further with Eterna). Many, many high end watch manufacturers (like IWC and Cartier) also use the 2892-A2 as a base movement. Why? Well, cost is no doubt a factor. However, I submit that many watch companies all come to the same conclusion: They could spend the money to design and manufacture their own movement in-house and still not match the technical marvel which is the 2892-A2. Don’t take my word for it – research the treasure trove of articles on Timezone by such horological luminaries as Walt Odets and others who closely examine the attributes of the 2892-A2.
    In terms of looks, most people will know this watch, and will already have formed an opinion. In summary, though, the case is 41mm without the crown, wears very flat on the wrist and features the usual mix of brushed and polished facets that Omega does so well. The multi-sided bezel is as smooth as silk to operate, and the crown nestles nicely between the quite tapered guards. What I really like about the 2254.50, though, is the dial and hands; the former is the wave pattern - shame Omega ditched that for far less interesting alternatives) and the hands are the aforementioned sword style. I absolutely love the hands, in fact, and they're the primary reason that I wouldn't go for any other model in the Seamaster range. (Well, that and the fact that I wanted a mechanical movement.)

All in all, a fantastic watch, and a long-time target now acquired. I've not had time to set any lights up as yet, but hopefully the shots below will suffice, albeit that they're a bit Q&D.

Last edited by learningtofly; 10th April 2016 at 00:36.