closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: So I Bought A GS!

Threaded View

Banned

So I Bought A GS!

I’ve been a member here for a few years and am a self-confessed brand snob!

So, what is a brand snob in WIS terms?

Well for me (as I can only speak for me) it works differently for different brands. I wouldn’t be seen dead in a Christopher Ward, or a Graham for example. The ones I won’t wear are more style choices, or the way they are marketed perhaps. I find CHW a ‘Sunday supplement’ type brand with a permanent sale. For me, Graham are just plain ghastly.

With Seiko, it’s a little different again – I have happily worn their cheaper (read popular?) models, but have fallen for the adoration of their ‘icons’ too – Tuna, 62MAS, 6105 etc., but certainly shied away from the GS range – well, let’s face it, they are a five grand watch and have Seiko on the dial!

No doubt whatsoever the above clarifies I’m a snob and I do like a Rolex or two…

But the GS twitch has remained with me for years, only held back by my snobbery and perhaps fair concern over resale.

I’m not a dress watch kind of guy, so the choice I always felt I would one day own would fall between the SBGA029 200m diver and SBGE001 GMT, due to my preference for larger watches.

Rewind to last week and one of the forum flippers listed the diver and I looked a dozen times, but held back. Would I ever try one? I couldn’t in the end resist and we did a deal, arranging to collect in person. I have to say I felt immediate buyers remorse and wasn’t even excited to collect the watch. It stayed in its box for the rest of the week whilst away on business and when eventually home the bracelet was sized too small and I had no tools for pin style adjustment. A member came to the rescue, sized the watch and I chucked it on.

I have to say I didn’t think much really. It was a black dial diver. Yes, the second hand glides around, but mesmerising it is not. Different, yes, but different enough to compete with others on the box I was unsure.

I find the bracelet clasp to thick and pretty uncomfortable. I’d prefer less adjustment on the fly and a thinner clasp. For that reason I’ve an incoming Nato strap, but already think the weight of the head will make that a poor match. Rubber is an option, but I already have a couple of watches I like on rubber, so really fancied a change.

So, do I have anything positive to say about this watch?

The size/weight ratio works in a sublime way. The bezel is the best I’ve ever operated and I particularly like the second markers, which add dimension and depth to the watch.

The dial fills the case – then more second markers, but on the rehaut as opposed to the dial, creating a stunning effect for a typical Sub fan, albeit I need to tip the watch to make use of said markers. The legibility is quite simply perfect in any light, or dark, as the lume is bright with a capital B. The second hand is quite cool too.

I expected to be annoyed by the power reserve indicator, but it really doesn’t bother me. That said, I don’t see the use of one on any watch, but some must like it.

Accuracy is important to me and so far +/- 0 seconds per day, but that is what I expected, so all good there.

So, what’s the conclusion?

For me, it doesn’t beat the watch it is always compared to – the Rolex Submariner - but it competes head on for wrist time. Every one of its single elements combine effortlessly to create a watch suitable for everyday wear, which has kept my Sub off the wrist. I hate the clasp, so I need to find the best way to wear it, but that is my only real criticism.

In respect of the VFM argument, yes, if bought new you would lose money – unlike the Sub, so if residual value is key, buy used. I picked this up, a three year old example, for half RRP. As far as comparing the GS and Sub, I can conclude they are equal, excepting the bracelet.

Mine will certainly retain a permanent place in my small, mainly Swiss, collection.

And the funny thing is - of all those friends and acquaintances who have seen it so far, knowing my other choices, none have said ‘it’s only a Seiko’, reinforcing the fact - it’s all in our heads...

And to finish off, I’m going to post the best photo I’ve ever seen of this watch, by our own Andy Tims.

Last edited by burnsey66; 18th April 2016 at 20:42. Reason: Pic Added