There's something about them. Watch design suddenly seemed to become less inhibited, and we had Seiko, Omega, Heuer and Zenith all coming up with their own take on the concept of a wristwatch with a built-in stopwatch. My passion for and subsequent involvement in motor racing probably meant that I would inevitably develop an interest in chronographs.

One such, the Seiko 6139 "Pogue" was one of the watches which really grabbed my attention back then, and when I started to collect watches I went on the hunt for one. I found this one on eBay a good few years ago, before it became infested with too many frankens and fakes. After a service (again, a few years ago watchmakers weren't as hesitant about servicing Seiko column-wheel chronographs) and an ATG Vintage Racing strap (no longer available), it's one of the watches that I wouldn't sell:

I began to take more of an interest in Seiko's chronographs, and particularly the 6138's. They're easier to live with than the 6139 as they can be hand-wound. They also have beautifully balanced designs, and subtle colours. I have three, two of which have been serviced in my ownership. I must get around to having the Panda done, but it works perfectly and the timekeeping is still perfectly acceptable.

I love the dial texture on this:

And a group shot:

Every so often you see something which makes you catch your breath - something which ticks so many boxes for you, and all at once. Such a watch was the Zenith El Primero 01-0200-415, more easily remembered as the "Big Blue". It's big and it's blue. It has a dial shaped like an early TV set, a square with rounded corners. It has a unique "rocker" for operating the chrono buttons. It's big (I may have mentioned this already) and there aren't many left from the production run of 2000 made up of 1500 with blue dials and 500 with black, which explains why they're difficult to get hold of. I missed out on a couple on SC in the last year or so, and the chance of finding one with an unblemished dial and bezel (polished and a bit vulnerable) is remote.

Remote, but still feasible:

The dial and chapter ring look a bit grey in the above shots, but an iPhone Q&D picks up the colour better:

This watch couldn't be more 70's if it wore flares and platform shoes. There's a good write-up and some history on Worn and Wound here:

http://wornandwound.com/a-look-at-th...imero-tv-case/

The watch isn't perfect - there are a couple of scratches on the crystal, and although it is possible to fit additional bracelet links they're not exactly easy to find. As it is, mine fits a 7.5" wrist, but no more. And the crown, recessed and protected by the rocker is small and fiddly to operate.

I can live with that.