Chaps,

A topic that gets debated and lots of questions asked so thought it may be good to put them all in one place.

I have ditched the car purchasing malarky now for the past two years and have two fantastic leases running on a new Golf R and S line Q7 which work out a fraction of what the depreciation figure would be over 24 months, plus a (very) small return on the invested monies that would have been spent.

If you are in the market place for purchasing 4yo+ cars then leasing is not for you, but if you are wanting a new standard spec new car and open to consideration of the various manufacturers then it is worth looking and doing some homework. On the subject of extras, if you start adding then the price climbs as you are effectively paying, in many cases, for the total of these over your term.

The other consideration is mileage. If you are a 15k miles per year driver then you will struggle to find a good deal but around 10k a year it makes sense. Excess mileage charges are to be factored and in many cases it is worth looking at a lower annual mileage and paying the the additional at the end of the term.

Over the course of the year I do get some cracking offers sent to me and I will add these as the hit the mat. New deals pop up at the start of a quarter which do run on calendar basis not financial.

Cracker this month was a VW Golf GTI deal that ran for 48 hours which was circa £4,600 over 24 month term for 5k miles per year. Excess mileage was only 7.2p also which made this an absolute steal. I nearly jumped as the R's lease ceases in March, but those very nice folk at VWFS popped up with a loyalty campaign for existing Golf R customers which knocked close on £5k off the current lease deals, madness.

I am sure others who are more informed will add to this and the ifs and whys for's, but lets not turn this thread into a bun fight of he said she said or folk bemoaning this route to a new car.

This thread is here to inform and offer assistance to anyone interested and useful guidance, not a slagging match.

Ta