Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66 View Post
I was always a northern agent, where sole agency is the norm, but the multiple listing process is common practice in the south and many other parts of the world.

Basically, the agent who gets the instruction acts as main agent, then the seller (or agent with sellers consent) can appoint as many others as they wish. The main agent and the agent who introduces the eventual buyer will share the fee at a pre-agreed split. The remainder will get nothing (usually).

The problem with this is the agents will often mistrust each other as they all want some of the fee, so contact the seller directly, make up their own ‘strategy’ (read change the price to get more enquiries) and generally faff around. Some agents will attempt to sell properties which they are not actually instructed to do - they live in the hope if they turn up with a buyer, the seller will ‘cut them in’.

The sad thing is, if a seller makes the correct choice of agent in the first place, they can stick with one and usually pay less.

Like many things - life in the south is different and to be honest, where agents get the most slagging off.
Jeezz ....I've thought the process of moving was stressful enough without having that to contend with that as well.

Glad it's simple up here

On the flip side .....I suppose the extra exposure could generate a sale which is either faster , bigger or both !