closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Modern Eulit Perlon 'Palma' and Vintage 'Panama' Strap Photo Comparison

Threaded View

Modern Eulit Perlon 'Palma' and Vintage 'Panama' Strap Photo Comparison

I really like vintage Eulit Perlon 'Panama' straps, the thick weave is a huge improvement on that of standard 'Kristall' and they are very comfortable with the adjustable buckle. As these have become rarer and consequently more expensive I’ve recently tried a few of the modern equivalent, Eulit 'Palma', available from Yelly’s Watch Corner. Here is a photographic comparison of the two versions.

Where both styles feature in a single photograph the modern version is on the left.

Weave
    The double weave is identical in style and both feel very comfortable. The 'Palma' version uses slightly thicker threads and the evidence of this can be seen by comparing the number of strands across straps of the same width. There are consequentially marginally larger holes through the braiding, but these are only visible when viewed directly on. Both styles feature a single keeper (considerably wider on the 'Palma') and are flexible enough to cater for lug widths a millimetre wider or narrower than the strap.

Colours
    The colour options of the modern version are rather limited compared to vintage. Black, brown, grey, red and blue are available in 'Palma' 20mm but only black for 18mm and 22mm widths. The red and blue are very bright and I can’t imagine many watches that they would work well on. Vintage 'Panama' features some more complex colours as well as the flat black, such as a grey with black flecks and a chestnut brown with hints of gold but are generally only found in 16mm and 18mm widths.

Buckle
    On the modern version the buckle can’t be adjusted to shorten the strap, but the design is a lot more substantial than the vintage version which feels rather flimsy. Because the strap is threaded through the older style, the position that the tongue pierces the strap as it is done up can be varied which reduces damage due to repeated use. I’m not overly keen on the way that the tongue cuts through the weave on the buckle centre bar of the modern version, leaving frayed edges.

Tapered End Sealing
    The sealing of the end of the current version leaves a rather neater taper than the original.

Length
    As noted above, the buckle design permits the original version to be adjusted to suit. On a G10, the end of the non-adjustable modern strap comes round just further than I would like on my 6¾” wrist. I took a photograph but have mislaid it so that’s to follow.

Conclusion
    The modern 'Palma' is a perfectly acceptable and close alternative to the vintage 'Panama'. The colour choice, overall appearance and adjustability give the original the edge, but not at the prices usually asked.

As a footnote, there is also a two-piece Eulit Perlon available from Yelly's, named the 'Palma Pacific' but I've yet to try one.
    Last edited by Mr Curta; 18th July 2017 at 07:36.