closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: is there any point in me building a reputation with an AD?

Threaded View

Journeyman

is there any point in me building a reputation with an AD?

I'm relatively new to the watch world. I have 1 nice watch, 1 Seiko beater and I'm saving up for my first Rolex. I don't want to have a huge collection but a handful of nice watches to enjoy and give to my son

I've been thinking about this, for someone in my position is there any point in building a reputation with an AD?

Established collectors that have built a reputation started back in the day when you could actually walk into a shop and buy watches. It seems beyond daft to me that I could sit on a waiting list for more than a year for a Tudor BB58, pay the RRP and at the end of the day it gets me very little clout as a buyer. It seems like years ago if you wanted a Daytona you could buy a Sub and a GMT to build up a sales history. Now the idea of buying a sub and GMT would get you laughed out of any shop in the world

I'm settling into the mind set that its better for me to pay over list price on the grey market on a watch that I want and get it now, rather than spending thousands at an AD trying to build up a reputation that will never come close to guys that have been shopping there for 20+ years - then once I have built up a reputation it earns me the honor of sitting on more lists for years

I'm interested to hear people's thoughts, I like the idea of establishing a rapport with an AD but the whole process feels outdated and a bit depressing to me now?
    Last edited by Bclark; 17th July 2019 at 09:47.