Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
I just thought that today's track looked particularly erratic, going from point to point with little pattern to be seen. Unlike other days when it has flown a regular transcect pattern.

I don't suspect anything untoward or suspicious, but I am a bit curious about an Italian registered aircraft, owned by (or just working for?) a German company operating in the UK. That the company is also used by the Netherlands Dept for Transport goes, I suppose, to show the international nature of such commercial work.

Earlier today I looked up the Ordnance Survey blog (it's still there) about its own aircraft...G-NOSE and G-TASK. Having looked them up, both were owned and operated by RVL and one is now out of service. The other is no longer in OS livery.
The track anomalies can be caused by the method of tracking linked to the transponder/receivers. ADS-B aircraft are usually tracked very accurately, but under MLAT a lot of the track is dead reckoning in some situations, so it can be miles out, literally.

The aircraft could have been doing any manner of things prior to its reconnaissance/photo tracks, setting up the cameras or responding to air traffic direction.

A lot of these smaller aviation companies really have to sweat the assets for them to earn their keep, so not surprising they’re going wherever the money takes them.