closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: 2 holes blown outward on my 67 plate Golf DSG gearbox casing.! Update

Threaded View

2 holes blown outward on my 67 plate Golf DSG gearbox casing.! Update

My wife complained to me the other day that the normally super smooth DSG on our 67 plate Golf Alltrack was a little snatchy at times.
    I, of course ignored it for 3 days, assuming she was just driving it badly, or the colder weather was affecting it in someway. She wasn't driving it anyway as she was working from home.
    She had also mentioned she thought she saw some oil on the wheel.

On Friday I took it for a decent drive to see if i could replicate the problem....yep, it was definitely snatchy and jumping in the low gears. especially around 2000-2800 rpm.

Once home, I had a look underneath, nothing obvious, into the bonnet and after a little searching around with a torch I found a piece of aluminium, that looked remarkably like a piece of casing.
    Couldn't be I thought, then I spotted a smaller piece, right down on the cross member. I took the undertray off to see if I could get a better look from underneath, but nothing.
    I then took the battery and battery tray off, but still nothing obvious.

I reach down into the bay and felt along the edge of the gearbox casing, and there it was, a big jagged hole, then slightly further down, another.
    Halfway up the casing along the casings join...the piece i found definitely looks like its been broken out from the inside.

The car has 56k on it, full service history, DSG oil and filter done, and just been serviced by VW dealer about 500mls ago.

I shall be ringing VW customer service on |Monday, I have already tried talking to the VW dealer we bought it from, but the Sales manager was very dismissive, defensive and unhelpful.
    Once I had mentioned it was purchased in October last year as a used vehicle, she immediately stated that the warranty would have expired and I should contact my local dealer.
    She did not take the car reg, my details, or anything else.
    We have done less than 8000k since purchase, and whilst I freely admit that the warranty has expired, a holed gearbox casing is not a common occurrence.
    I am no versed on the DSG gearbox and/or its maintenance, but the last people to work on it were selling dealer, VW Listers.

Anybody on here with some possible causes perhaps and where I might stand on its repair/replacement?
    I managed to get a( poor ) picture of the smaller of the 2 holes with my phone
    The piece I found looks like it may be the outside of the casing dowel holes? and I think from the hole I cannot get a picture of.

Last edited by keitht; 8th December 2020 at 19:37.