closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: 2021 America's Cup

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pointy View Post
    It seemed to me that LR started steering a bit to port to make the cross closer than it could have been, is that what you mean? I guess the judges spotted he came off the optimum heading to try & draw the penalty.

Ineos were peaking at nearly 60mph which is pretty incredible. As someone pointed out the tiddly little chase boats need 1350hp to keep up.
    A few links with info about racing manoeuvring etc:

LRPP on starboard tack had right of way over ITUK on port. Listening to the onboard comms (You Be the Judge on YouTube) Jimmy Spithill first called that Ineos was "clear ahead" before turning to port (as he was allowed) so as to promote a close encounter so that ITUK would have to alter course and lose their advantage in order to avoid LRTT. That didn’t happen, hence the protest. I can only think that the umpires decided that he left the dial down too late for ITUK to be able to alter course without worsening the close quarters situation.

Looking at the replay:

…he started the move 10s and steadied only 5s before the cross. That sort of interval is probably common in dinghy sailing (others will know more about that than me) but the AC75 is not that agile at 40 knots downwind. That's my supposition...and I may be wrong.

Edit The dynamics were a little different in 2007...www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcgy_tFro7s.
    Last edited by PickleB; 24th January 2021 at 16:47.