closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Life can be so brutal and cruel

Threaded View

Life can be so brutal and cruel

Something of a selfish but cathartic outpouring...

I've written several posts on the devastating affects of my son's drug addiction a year or two ago "my son and his drug taking" ~ Sept' 19

He since met a lovely girl who understood his issues and whether by accident or design became pregnant. We pointed out that if he wanted a family his addiction needed to be sorted. It was a rocky path he trod and the inevitable lapses happened, but real effort could be seen.

In June this year, they were gifted a beautiful baby girl, Courtney.

3 or 4 times a week, wife and I had the joy of looking after her while son and his partner went to gym.
    The baby wanted for nothing, her mother was fabulous and absolutely doted on her. Son was what I'd call a rough diamond dad but he was getting there.

Fast forward to Saturday past and we did our babysitting and the baby was returned to her Mum and Dad fit and healthy with no signs of what was to unfold.

Sunday morning we get a call to say the baby wasn't well and had to be taken to hospital 20 miles away, high temp and pulse rate and the occasional high pitched scream.

Immediately put on intravenous antibiotics and the staff used a working diagnosis of meningitis.
    Her condition rapidly worsened and she was ambulanced to the Children's Hospital in Glasgow for intensive care.

Sunday evening we we're told there was little the hospital could do and I think they were priming them for the worst.

Monday morning, she's still alive with support, but her legs would need to be amputated; sepsis, which was rapidly spreading to her lower torso.
    There was understandable doubt the she would survive this. Her organs were failing and a brain scan confirmed massive damage.
    The decision was taken to withdraw support and let her pass...all over Monday evening.

Hospital was fabulous with them, hotels food and taxis and offered and opportunity for them to return next day to hold and say there goodbyes. Indeed they did the same for them Wednesday before booking them a train to return to us.
    Wonderful and caring sensitivity shown by the hospital to a Mum and Dad in circumstances that would be hard to imagine being any worse.

The speed and devastation with which this infection stole an innocent life is truly beyond my comprehension despite what I know was the absolute best of medical care being given...so, so cruel.

Tears are rolling down my face and I hope it's not improper to post a picture of that little bundle of joy. She has left a hole in so many hearts in our family.

Has heaven gained an angel? I need to think so as I can't rationalise it any other way.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jacinabox; 4th September 2021 at 16:55.