Hi all,

I don’t post on here much. But love the forum and have enjoyed the years of conversations and posts on here. On the advice of MartynJC I’ve started this thread.

Thought I’d update you all on my latest companion to join me on my desk diving journey. I’ve been lucky enough to own a few good watches in my time, not least a lovely metres first 5513 Submariner from 1971, and a 79090 Tudor Submariner (both full sets as well). But this latest addition is really far and away above anything I’ve ever owned before.

Here’s my “new” 5512 gilt dial sub, from 1961. It’s the grail sub for me and where my dive watch journey likely stops. (Beyond this level you’re talking 6538s, 5517 mil subs and crazy money.)

I’ve hunted for a good one for a while. Those of you who understand vintage know this is NOT an easy process. It’s fraught with pitfalls and potential errors, and an error can cost you big time. I’ve read books for hours, studied videos and done my homework. I’ve saved up money and got rid of a couple of pieces I really liked to get this. But finally I found one that trumps them all. And by god is it better than I imagined. A hat tip to Stefano Leaney aka the VintagewatchLad who helped source it for me.

Here it is on a 1980s service bracelet. The original expandable 7206 rivet bracelet will stay in the safe along with the 58 end-links. I very much doubt it’ll get much bracelet time as the serial number is starting to wear off and it needs very careful looking after. I hope you enjoy the pics.

So there you are folks. I don’t mean to brag or show off. I’m just very proud that I’ve been able to achieve this in our fantastic hobby, and I thought I’d share it with you.

Cheers all

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk