closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Legal advice buying a car privately

Threaded View

Blog Entries

Legal advice buying a car privately

I was hoping if anyone can offer any legal stance on a vehicle I have recently bought and where my rights stand . It would also be appreciated if anyone has some knowledge on cars they can decipher as I am not mechanically minded .

I purchased it on 22nd of February. It was sold as a car with full service history , two owners and 69k miles on the clock and had an MOT until November this year.

The seller was on marketplace and was local to me from a garage he worked at and he lives above with his wife and children . He holds favourable reviews all positive reviews with no negative feedback or comments.

I have rode the car sparingly just a few miles every other day for work which is very local and my children to school. There have been no issues up until today.

Today , it lost power . The management dash informed me it was overheating.

I pulled over as soon as safe and had my neighbour who works for the RAC come and plug his computer in and diagnose the issue.

He said it was misfiring. It may need a new coil pack and spark plugs .

I called the chap who I bought from and he came down immediately which I felt was prompt and decent with a tow truck to take it away and I explained the issue .

He later called me to inform me there was no water in the car ?

They tried new coils and spark plugs but keeps bringing up the water bottle was bone dry ?

He then later informed me it may be the head gasket or it has burned a valve out due to it being ran warm .

I’ve had it under three weeks . He said he is looking around to find a garage to strip it down to identify if it definitely is the head gasket but none are available for weeks.

Do I have a legal right to ask for a refund?

I can see he is trying to make it right by attempting to fix the issue but wanted to know my rights . I don’t have weeks and weeks as I need to be mobile for work / children .

Google is not really that clear and has varying answers that say one thing then another.

Much appreciated in advance for any advice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bond; 13th March 2023 at 22:38.