closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Bit of pocket watch help, please

Threaded View

Craftsman

Bit of pocket watch help, please

Hi,

My Dad has gifted me a really lovely 18k gold pocket watch that was his 50th birthday present from my Mum in 1994 and now it's my 50th present. he's done so with the full knowledge that pocket watches really aren't up my street but I may be able to put the money towards what I've been chasing for my 50th (a 124060).

He says he was offered just over 4k for it last year from a dealer but never took it as he was after 5. Like most things, I want to do my homework on this, see what it it is and what it's realistically worth. I have a receipt from the dealer back in '94 stating that it's a 'gents 18k hallmarked gold full hunter pocket watch with centre second chronograph movement. Bears the Chester hallmark for 1886'. But it doesn't tell me who made it. Cost mum 1400 GBP back in '94, which was a lot for us back then.

Can any vintage pocket watch aficionados shed any light on this, please? I'm totally clueless. Dad says the maker was still going in early 1900s but can't remember who made it, and I can't make sense of the calligraphy on the movement.

Hunter mvmt by nickgaters, on Flickr

pocket watch dial by nickgaters, on Flickr

it's lovely thing, very heavy (can't imagine going hunting with this in my pocket)! Goes well, ticks incredibly loud and seems to keep reasonable time, comes with a 30 hour movement as well. M<usty have been ground breaking at the time.
    Last edited by NickGaters; 30th December 2023 at 14:02.