closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: I hate adverts.

Threaded View

Craftsman

I hate adverts.

I'm on my phone, and *BAM* a full screen find my ideal wife here advert that I cant x off for 20 seconds.

Whats the weather like today? Lets check, it's going to be clou.... Nope no idea, apparently I want to buy this new bitcoin trading course and I can't see what the weather is like at all.

TV ads, are almost as bad, but pop ups on my smart phone really wind me up.

I have however found a few easy life hacks, some free, some easy, some a bit more complicated and some which are paid but minimal cost to do which I thought I'd share. I'll add a few more as I go, but firstly

iPhone or iPad users
    https://adguard-dns.io/en/public-dns.html
    Scroll down to method 2 install manually.
    Download configuration profile for default server
    Follow graphics to install on your phone.
    What this does is without any installed apps or software or VPNs on your phone, causes your phone to use AdGuards DNS servers rather than Apple's. This is basically the internets phone book which looks things up for you. If anything ever tries to look up an advert server, it refuses it meaning the advert doesn't get delivered to your phone. Regardless of if you are on WiFi or mobile or roaming, you'll pretty much never see an advert on your iPhone again. Completely free

Android users
    Go to same link and copy the dns.adguard-dns.com DNS address into the Private DNS section of your phone as pictured, this does the same thing in the Android ecosystem. Completely free.

Blocking ITV/C4/Five and catchup ads at the router level
    Most routers have a built in firewall. If you feel competent enough to go into it and add a couple of sites to manually block then add the below, you can ignore the bottom LG... ones if you don't have an LG TV. If you watch ITV Player it 'usually' goes to a blank screen for a few seconds before returning to the programme rather than forcing you to watch 3-5 minutes of adverts now. Sometimes I have seen a bug though whereby the screen just goes blank for the advert length, this isn't fool proof, but is pretty good. Do be careful playing around with your routers firewall and other admin settings, enter things slowly, carefully and double check else you might turn your internet off basically...!
    tom.itv.com
    c5ads.ott.skymedia.co.uk
    toots-a.akamaihd.net
    2a7e9.v.fwmrm.net
    p.videologygroup.com
    2356e.v.fwmrm.net
    cdn.ss.anno.channel4.com
    webstats.channel4.com
    cdn.http.anno.channel4.com
    securecdn.videologygroup.com
    monitor.channel4.com
    -again this is completely free and painless
    Example:

Blocking harassing ads on your home network.
    Same principle as AdGurd on your phone. Your router usually has a pre-set DNS server in it. If you are with Virgin, it will use Virgins DNS server to look up addresses, some 3rd party routers are pre-set to use Google, or Cloudflare, or Quad9 or some other DNS provider, there's no real noticeable different to be honest. Find your routers Upstream DNS server and change it to the below number groups
    Default servers AdGuard DNS will block ads and trackers.
    IPv4:
    Example:

To follow:

Blocking all ads on your home network

Blocking ads on your mobile while not at home and not using Adguard DNS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by HEN12Y; 9th January 2024 at 21:17.