Trying to avoid myself getting into trouble with car insurance and possibly finding myself without cover in the event of an accident.

FiL who is approaching 90 and in the opinion of family members is not capable of driving safely...he will argue otherwise.
He had a stroke around 3 years ago and seems to have recovered his speech but is very unsteady on his feet. He also had heart surgery to replace a valve around 4 years ago.

While he doesn't drive he has added me as a named driver on his car so I can take him to hospital appointments etc because he can't get into any of our cars.

I'm concerned that he may not have a valid licence due to his stroke especially although he tells me his GP didn't tell him he couldn't drive. In any event and from what I can ferret off the net, he should have told DVLA and his insurer. I'm confident he wouldn't have done so knowing that he may have to do a DVLA assessment to decide if he is capable of driving.

Am I right in thinking, that if I was driving his car and an accident happened his non disclosure of medical conditions would void his insurance and leave him open to potential consequences from his insurer & DVLA? More importantly, from my POV, I could be found guilty of driving with no insurance despite being a named driver?

For now, I'm not driving his car until I can positively confirm he's informed DVLA and his insurer of his medical conditions.

Thoughts appreciated.

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk