closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Bulova Mil-Ships-W-2181 (98A266) mini review

Threaded View

Craftsman

Bulova Mil-Ships-W-2181 (98A266) mini review

Thought I would do a short review since I recently bought one and it turned out to be -what I believe is- a solid effort from Citizen/Bulova for the price.
    So this is apparently part of Bulovas "archive series" and based on some unreleased late 50s design. I'm not really that interested in military or diving watch history to be honest but you can read all about it here if you want: https://www.watchtime.com/reviews/re...-ships-w-2181/
    Bulova released the watch fall 2021 and there are two versions: a limited edition with a Sellita SW200, nicer engraving on the case back, lumed 5 and 15min markers on the bezel in addition to the triangle marker at 12 (model 98A265) and a cheaper version with a more plebeian Miyota 82XX, a more simple laser engraving on the case back and only the triangle marker at 12 on the bezel is lumed.
    This review is for the cheaper version, the going rate for these seems to be around EUR 530 new at the moment (also what I payed).
    The watch itself has a diameter of 40mm excl. crown (which is signed and screws down), 50mm lug to lug, height is almost 15mm overall but a good 3mm of that are due to the hugely domed sapphire crystal (anti reflective coating on the underside). Bezel insert is aluminium, case has a fine bead blasted finish, comes with a single pass nylon strap.

Quirks:
    -the lug width is only 16mm (18mm nato or perlon straps will fit with a bit of persuasion though)
    -two piece case back (tension ring on the outside)
    -functional moisture indicator
    -bezel is of the 'press down to turn'-type
    -hugely domed crystal

Fit and finish is quite good, bezel action is good, wears surprisingly comfortable on the the 16mm single pass strap, lume is a bit lacking though.
    I did put it on the Weishi, seems to perform well enough dial up, dial down and crown down.

Overall I'm pretty happy with it, I mean a dive watch is a a dive watch but this one has enough things to make it a bit distinct, I also like the vintage vibe and the fit and finish is surprisingly good.

Negative things:
    -16mm lugs
    -Lume is not that great (personally I don't care)
    -Quite thick, can be hard to fit under a cuff.
    -I'd rather have a Miyota 90xx than a 80xx
    -Cheesy case back engraving.
    -Terrible to photograph.

Pics (with lots of reflections):

_1070529 klein by neuman356, auf Flickr

_1070528 klein by neuman356, auf Flickr

_1070471 klein by neuman356, auf Flickr

_1070532 klein by neuman356, auf Flickr

_1070533 klein by neuman356, auf Flickr

_1070537 by neuman356, auf Flickr
    Last edited by neuman356; 8th April 2024 at 14:27.