This is testing my (limited) knowledge so I thought I'd ask the collective experience / expertise of the forum. I stress that I am awaiting qualified individuals to visit and investigate but I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Approximately 10 years ago we had the ensuite revamped, including a power shower, with a 3 bar pump fitted in the airing cupboard. The pump was wired into a fused spur within the airing cupboard.

The shower controls are straightforward, a k**b either side of the bar, drench head or handheld head to the left, temperature to the right, when you turn the left k**b the pump is activated by demand and away you go. About seven years ago the pump was replaced with a Salamander 3 bar pump and no issues until last week when the pump stopped working.

A replacement Salamander pump was purchased from Screwfix and the original installer visited after work on Friday to change the pump.The new pump had a standard 3 pin plug (with 3 amp fuse fitted) so once the pipes were connected the installer plugged the pump into a standard mains socket in the airing cupboard (normally used to power the TV booster / distribution module) and the pump wouldn't work. The installer checked that there as power to the socket, no apparent issues so wnt away and was to return on the Saturday morning to investigate further.

We plugged the pump into a socket in the adjacent bedroom via an extension lead and it worked (don't know why I tried this, it seemed a good idea at the time). A quick call to the installer, who was on his way to the pub, and we agreed that he would wire the pump into the fused spur. We couldn't be there but our son would be in, so happy days.

We returned from a weekend away last night, the pump had been hard wired into the fued spur so I went for a much anticipated shower and the pump wouldn't activate. We tried the reset (power off, wait for 30 seconds, power back on) but the pump didn't activate.

So, the pump appears to work when plugged into a mains socket outside of the airing cupboard but doesn't work when plugged into the socket within the airing cupboard or when connected into the fused spur. There is power to both the socket and fused spur. The fuse within the plug that the pump was supplied with is 3 amp so the demands of the pump don't appear to be great.

Electrician and plumber both returning this week...