closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: My Worst Ever Sale. My Biggest Regret. Update!

Master

My Worst Ever Sale. My Biggest Regret. Update!

This dark shameful secret Ive been harbouring for <gulps> the past five years. Hopefully, although painful to write, sharing my watch related mistake will help with the guilt a little.

If you are ready and are sitting comfortably, let me take you back to the year of 2004.....

5 years ago I ventured past my local jewellers. This was a long time before joining TZ-UK and I was clueless about watches and I could only stare admiringly at the Rolex, Omega and Breitlings in the window displays

Having recently starting a new job I fancied treating myself to my first proper watch. I scoured the used watch section and saw a distinctive looking Omega that caught my eye.

I asked to see the watch and tried it on. The assistant explained it was a X-33 first gen.

I Didn’t know anything about the model only that I liked it. It was priced at £590 and this was alot of money for me.

I asked whether it had a box and instructions as it looked a little complicated to operate.

“No sir, the price reflects that the watch has no box or instructions but we can print you the instructions from the internet”

“Hmmm” I replied….”I’m not sure”

“The chap that part exchanged the X 33 did say he would bring in the manuals and box later, we could take your details down and we would send them to you if we do receive them”

Seeing as the assistant was kind and very attractive. I purchased it, never really expecting to hear anything else from them.

A few weeks passed and then a huge box arrived. It was from the AD, it contained the full space suit flight material box and a wealth of paperwork and service receipts. It turned out that it was issued to a Flight Commander or some big knob in the Airforce. I was chuffed.

I watched Minority Report and nearly fell off my seat when I saw that in the future even Tom Cruise would be wearing my watch:

Even Russian spacemen liked it!:

I wore the watch religiously, I loved it but as time passed so did my feelings for the watch. I took it for granted and sold it.

I had the watch fully serviced for £120 and sold it 2008 for £550 – a good price I thought despite sending it to Canada and making a further loss on the postage.......

Well fast forward a few years. Everytime I saw a X 33 fond memories flooded back of my past watch. I contacted the seller every year at Christmas asking if he wanted to sell it. We danced around several offers but nothing was reached.

Crap huh?!!!!

Re: My Worst Ever Sale. My Biggest Regret. With Pics :-(

Good story, shame about the regret - but such is life, hindsight is a great thing :)

Got one of these babies, and although not to everyone's cup-of-tea i absolutely LOVE IT :D

I was expecting a happy ending somehow :(

still, maybe this Christmas he'll agree to sell it back to you?

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Toshi
    I was expecting a happy ending somehow :(

still, maybe this Christmas he'll agree to sell it back to you?
    It may just well have a happy ending as I did spot one very recently for sale on SC and I wasnt prepared to mourn for my X-33 for another year.....

Stay tuned!

I love the design of the X33, very different from the norm, a truly top watch. I hope the regret doesn't stay with you too long. :wink: Here's a couple of pics of one of mine...

the x33 gen1 and gen2 still show up on the f-s forums from time to time though it seems less frequently than before since the 2nd half of 2008 onward. the depressed prices on the pre-owned market might have something to do with it, but it wouldn't hurt to post a WTB...you might get lucky.

i thought about getting one a couple of years ago (a cool watch and it's titanium which i love)...couldn't readily find a gen2 in a really nice condition w/the full bracelet and i wound up getting a seiko ana-digi instead. the one thing about the Omega is that the battery life ain't all that great. i really don't have any regrets not getting one [between the seiko and an citizen eco-drive they satisfy me enough], but if you're patient and diligent enough, you should be able to find one eventually, though you should expect to pay more this second time around, than the first.

good luck.

Master

As the great Kerr Avon said back in '78

'Regret is a Part of being alive. But keep it a small Part'

:-) Nice watch though.

Master

Thats the kind of thing that happens to all of us, it is part of the course and rite of passage into WISdom.

Happend to me and many other here - just with different watches. Read ben4watches thread a few posts down. His speedy went and 3 years later he managed to get it back

There have been two in SC recently so surely you could just buy another one?

Blog Entries

I feel your pain as they are a lovely watch.. very unique..

Still, consigned to history, the only way is forward mate!

my worst ever sale: omega seamster 300 1967, Omega documented royal navy delivered. Fixed bars, numbers on back side. All original.
    I've let it go for 1200 euro............3 years ago. I am shure it never will return.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by bonzo697
    There have been two in SC recently so surely you could just buy another one?
    I did just that :). Just waiting for it to arrive and I can't wait, cost nearly triple what I sold mine for but that was my mistake for perhaps selling it to cheaply. Still was my biggest regret, only watch I was really sad to part with.

Love these! Hope you enjoy your "new" one

£550?! What were you thinking?! Why didn't I see that advert?! :D

I regret selling my mint 2004 Rolex Seadweller in 2007 for £1800. At the time I had guessed it would depreciate quickly based on it no longer being in current production. I'd never make a good stockbroker! :(

Banned

Skool

I share your sentiments. I too regret selling anything I have. This is not just watches but cars too.

I have always been a fussy chap over all things I own and like things to be in tip top condition. So when I purchase something, I would always end up spending money on it, thinking that this is a keeper, no I would not sell this on ever. However, 6 months down the line, things change, I get an almighty itch and decide to go and spent on something else.

Then the inevitable, what am I going to do with the current. I also a firm believer that things should be used and not locked or stored away somewhere. So I end up selling it and then regret selling that item after a few days :roll:

You are definitely not alone :wink:

Regards

Roy

Wow, I love that watch..seems that they are currently selling on Fleabay for £1200+

I feel your pain :cry:
    Not as bad IMO as my nocturnal [and sometimes daylight!] tosser & turner which I unloaded here recently. Had to draw deeply also to put in writing.
    In case you're not familiar with my torment.....
    About 10 years ago, I was offered a couple of watches from a house clearance 'operative' and walked away from an Omega Fightmaster [on bracelet] for £350 and a mint 1944 WWW RAF Omega for £120 :shock:
    I was skint at the time, simple as that.
    They say time is a healer................
    Chin up my friend, nobody died.
    Hope this helps.

Grand Master

i quite often have pangs of regret about the watches i have flipped - sometimes even as i pack them for posting! in a ideal world, i would keep all the watches i have bought but the world and especially my finances since 2008 are not ideal. as i approach my 1500th post i have thought about marking this milestone and i am going to do a "state of the collection" post coupled with a "those i have loved and lost" post......that will upset me even more!
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Master

Re: My Worst Ever Sale. My Biggest Regret. Update!

Thanks to Peter, this has just arrived:

Looks great, feels alot lighter than I remember but Im really happy, now to be mega sad and watch Minority Report!

I like a happy ending, and not just when I'm having a massage.

Blog Entries

Nice story, and I can feel your pain.
    Some watches we should never sell.

Cheers,

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Glad to see all ended well for you.

Chris.

Master

A splendid story. I think many folks on the forum have 'been there' at some time and it's a great feeling when you 'new old watch' arrives :D

enjoy!

hmmm i'm thinking about selling my x-33... but I have to admit that I already feel guilty of that idea...

That story makes for a good thread. Thank you.
    I suspect a lot of us have difficulty letting go of our watches.

Nick

This is why I never sell anything.

Well done Skool. Glad you've managed to put one back in your collection, bet it doesn't go anywhere this time :)

Journeyman

Congratulation Skool, good to see a happy ending.

Grand Master

the question is as you have let one go in the past does it feel the same this time around? or should you never go back?
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Congrats :D
    "I looked with pity not untinged with scorn upon these trivial-minded passers-by"

Great story, thanks for sharing. I have similar feelings and way of thinking about specific watch models and some other products (mostly cars). I'm not a great fan of this Omega, though.

glad sshe arrived safely,i think i'm going to miss this one ......... :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Journeyman

[quote="clockwatcher"]Thats the kind of thing that happens to all of us, it is part of the course and rite of passage into WISdom.

+1 :(

Mate if i counted the number of watches i've flipped and regretted i wouldn't be standing on this chair with this rope around my neck.