closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Entry level Panerai?

Entry level Panerai?

So I like the look of Panerais and have googled about a bit, but find their range a little confusing! So what would be their base model and what is a realistic price for one of those on the used market? I don't have the cash at the mo' but it would be handy to know how much I need to save!

If I was to save enough for a PRS 20, is that, in your experience, likely to be a stepping stone on an inevitable journey to a Panny or could it prove to be an end in itself?

In the meantime, as I missed the MM boat, what is an acceptable homage to get the feel of one and see if I want to save up?

Many thanks

Re: Entry level Panerai?

Base model is the pam000 retail £2700,secondhand 2k upwards,great watch and a fantastic introduction to Panerai.
    PRS20 is a quality piece,so it depends on you really,if you desire a Panerai it won't stop you wanting one by buying another brand,if it's value for money your after then that's a different story. :wink:

Master
    Blog Entries

I sold a 000 recently for £2K so thats about where you need to be.

Blog Entries

I love my PAM000, traded against my Sub- no date.
    Never regretted it, it's the most cleanest of dials.
    I wouldn't have bought it if I hadn't had the sub to trade it against.
    The PRS 20 is more than worth it's asking price, and if you can find a nice second hand LE version, you must really want the name Panerai on the dial :)

Cheers,

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

I have a PRS and a PAM 177 and like them both. Would really like a 190 but oooh, the price!

As someone who has been infatuated by Divers watches for the last twenty years I first started to look at PAMs when I took my Sub in for a service. Bought a PRS 20 Italian on SC and have to say I'm bowled over by its presence and classic looks. Now that I've just had the Sub back I'm tempted to trade it for a PAM025. Not sure what my Sub is worth though and would prefer a good secondhand buy as Dealers don't seem to offer any discounts to speak of.

Thanks for the quick replies.

Feeling the love for the PRS! And its a lot more accessible - nearly time to shake the piggy bank!

PRS-20 blew me away when I picked a SE up from SC recently. It was a bit of a punt on my part, but the quality really has to be felt on the wrist - pics don't do it justice at all. 8)

It now has me more interested in Panerai, but I still don't think I could bring myself to spend that sort of dough on one. :lol:

Craftsman

The PRS20 would lean you more towards the Radiomir range. The PAM210 is the entry model in this series and, I believe, retails for a couple of hundred quid more than the PAM000 Luminor.

D.

[quote="burrotaxi"]As someone who has been infatuated by Divers watches for the last twenty years I first started to look at PAMs when I took my Sub in for a service. Bought a PRS 20 Italian on SC and have to say I'm bowled over by its presence and classic looks. Now that I've just had the Sub back I'm tempted to trade it for a PAM025. Not sure what my Sub is worth though and would prefer a good secondhand buy as Dealers don't seem to offer any discounts to speak of.[/quot

Blowers offered me £2750 for a mint 6 month old 16610LV against a Pam 24 last week. Bit stuck what to do

I tend to wear my watches a little loose (sweaty wrists!) and have sometimes had crowns dig into the back of my hand. Has anybody had similar trouble with the PRS or a Radiomir Panny and/or are the Luminor Pannys (with the trademarked crown guard) comfier (or not) for that reason?

Love the PRS crown shape but worried it might dig in.

Ta much :D

I wear watches quite loose because I can't stand it if I am doing sport or training and sweat forms under the metal. If I'm going to do push ups (or in fact any movement involving pulling the hand back), I'll give my wrist a quick flick to get the watch higher up the forearm. Never thought of the crown as "digging in", though.

Oh, don't Parnis do MM-style watches?

Get a PAM, they're Grrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaattttttttttttt :)

Master

That PRS20 looks interesting.

"Get a PAM, they're Grrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaattttttttttttt "

I was thinking that but a bit (a lot!) more saving required!

I got a PAM 2B for £1600 in 2001, however that ship has long since sailed. As people say you can get a base model for around 2K, however it will be base!!

Personally I love Vintage Panerai's especially the Rolex powered PAM 21 and original 3646, 6152, etc but at over £50k each this was not practical. The latest 3646 re-issues from Panerai are the PAM 232 and 249 but these are both over £6K, but use an inferior (IMHO) non-Rolex movement.

However for £2K I had a 3636 custom built for me using a gen Rolex/Cortebert movement and its almost identify to the original.

Not quite a Panerai - however it contains more of an original Panerai DNA than the ones produced by Richmont Panerai

Pictures below - however at 47mm these are big watches, therefore I suggest you shop around and see which fits.

Failing that try to find a PWC 1938 - this is a great hommage of the original Panerai for around the £1K mark.

Best of luck Andy

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Just sold my 000 for an 89 used. Won't miss th e000 but it is pure Panerai.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg
    I got a PAM 2B for £1600 in 2001, however that ship has long since sailed. As people say you can get a base model for around 2K, however it will be base!!

Personally I love Vintage Panerai's especially the Rolex powered PAM 21 and original 3646, 6152, etc but at over £50k each this was not practical. The latest 3646 re-issues from Panerai are the PAM 232 and 249 but these are both over £6K, but use an inferior (IMHO) non-Rolex movement.

However for £2K I had a 3636 custom built for me using a gen Rolex/Cortebert movement and its almost identify to the original.

Not quite a Panerai - however it contains more of an original Panerai DNA than the ones produced by Richmont Panerai

Pictures below - however at 47mm these are big watches, therefore I suggest you shop around and see which fits.

Failing that try to find a PWC 1938 - this is a great hommage of the original Panerai for around the £1K mark.

Best of luck Andy
    Quite delightful Andy - I do love the 232 and 249 even though they use a Unitas movement. Hopefully get one of them in the near future :drunken:

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by chez
    Quote Originally Posted by burrotaxi
    As someone who has been infatuated by Divers watches for the last twenty years I first started to look at PAMs when I took my Sub in for a service. Bought a PRS 20 Italian on SC and have to say I'm bowled over by its presence and classic looks. Now that I've just had the Sub back I'm tempted to trade it for a PAM025. Not sure what my Sub is worth though and would prefer a good secondhand buy as Dealers don't seem to offer any discounts to speak of.[/quot

Blowers offered me £2750 for a mint 6 month old 16610LV against a Pam 24 last week. Bit stuck what to do

Chez, £2750 is a good grey dealer price, but i think you could easily get £3000 on here or places like it, it'll give you a little extra to get the 24 or something else.

AndyG, the RWC 1938a is a rare beastie, i know as it took me a year to find one, then i bloody sold it and cannot find another one, why did i do it, why didn't i put it in the drawer and leave it for a rainy day :(

Quote Originally Posted by Argee1977
    Chez, £2750 is a good grey dealer price, but i think you could easily get £3000 on here or places like it,
    They are not selling easily for £3k anymore. On other forums they are going for £2800 and only for the latest and mint condition examples from known sellers. Even some dealers have been selling them for £2999.

Grand Master

Good to know, the LV is still something i'd like to own again :D

Quote Originally Posted by Argee1977
    Quote Originally Posted by chez
    Quote Originally Posted by burrotaxi
    As someone who has been infatuated by Divers watches for the last twenty years I first started to look at PAMs when I took my Sub in for a service. Bought a PRS 20 Italian on SC and have to say I'm bowled over by its presence and classic looks. Now that I've just had the Sub back I'm tempted to trade it for a PAM025. Not sure what my Sub is worth though and would prefer a good secondhand buy as Dealers don't seem to offer any discounts to speak of.[/quot

Chez, £2750 is a good grey dealer price, but i think you could easily get £3000 on here or places like it, it'll give you a little extra to get the 24 or something else.

AndyG, the RWC 1938a is a rare beastie, i know as it took me a year to find one, then i bloody sold it and cannot find another one, why did i do it, why didn't i put it in the drawer and leave it for a rainy day :(
    I most admit I was surprised you sold it, however assumed it was either one of those "I could not bond" or you had other plans in plan i.e. 249?

FYI Mike Wood has a 1938a which he might be prepared to part with if you ask nicely.

Andy

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche