closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New to "sub" style - any recommendations?

New to "sub" style - any recommendations?

I've never really took much of an interest in the Rolex brand, but looking around posts on here the sub is really starting to appeal.

Problem is, I don't have anywhere near the funds for one. Can anyone recommend a good similar style, whether it be sterile or "homage". It's mainly going to be used for a daily beater, and to decide whether I can get motivated to save up enough for a real one!

Master

Re: New to "sub" style - any recommendations?

Seiko SKX031K.

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Unlight
    I've never really took much of an interest in the Rolex brand, but looking around posts on here the sub is really starting to appeal.

Problem is, I don't have anywhere near the funds for one. Can anyone recommend a good similar style, whether it be sterile or "homage". It's mainly going to be used for a daily beater, and to decide whether I can get motivated to save up enough for a real one!
    Forum owner/host Eddie doesn't sell a Sub-a-like so I think it's OK to suggest http://www.orangewatchcompany.com, which makes an old Submariner "homage" from the mid 70s called the 5517. Orange Watch Company is a very small outfit and looks like it only sells this watch at the moment, although there is a choice of movements.

Otherwise there's Marcello C, which is well regarded by people who own one, but I'm not sure about the name, personally
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

The Ocean 1 Vintage red looks great - may have to do some more research - do you have one?

Quote Originally Posted by andrew

Forum owner/host Eddie doesn't sell a Sub-a-like so I think it's OK to suggest http://www.orangewatchcompany.com, which makes an old Submariner "homage" from the mid 70s called the 5517. Orange Watch Company is a very small outfit and looks like it only sells this watch at the moment, although there is a choice of movements.

Otherwise there's Marcello C, which is well regarded by people who own one, but I'm not sure about the name, personally
    Thanks have sent an email off to the Orange Watch Company for more details - liking the vintage look of them. The Marcello C again looks good, but like you the name puts me off a tad!

Master

The Ocean 1 Vintage red looks great - may have to do some more research - do you have one?
    No, but there have been a couple posted here and I thought the specification and finish were fantastic.

Review of the Orange in review section which might be useful. It looks a very nice watch and great value for money.

The Sub look-a-like Marcello currently for sale on the below link looks to be a good buy. (I've no affiliation with the seller by the way, just trying to assist fellow TZer's!!)
    viewtopic.php?f=3&t=99259

I can understand your reluctance to consider Marcello C. After all, the brand name sounds like this year's trendiest hairdresser.

One thing to consider, however, is that the Marcello C watches have one of the nicest bracelets you are likely to find on a watch of almost any price. I own a Marcello C Tridente, and I far prefer the bracelet that came with that watch to the one on the real Submariner.

I realise that this is damning with faint praise but, if you can find a Marcello C Nettuno or Tridente to inspect first hand, you may just find that the bracelet will overcome the rather off-putting name.

jtp

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes
    The Sub look-a-like Marcello currently for sale on the below link looks to be a good buy. (I've no affiliation with the seller by the way, just trying to assist fellow TZer's!!)
    viewtopic.php?f=3&t=99259
    +1

This is the best Sub homage watch available today, I've had the Steinhart, and while it's a good watch, the Marcello has the edge, in terms of overall quality.

Blog Entries

The Tauchmeister T0100 is very nice if you like GMT. There's a T0100 for sale on SC at the moment: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=98569 (I have no connection with the SC vendor).

Also check out Ollech & Wajs who have some Sub-alikes in their range.

See also Zeno's Airplane Divers. I see that Eddie has one Airplane Diver remaining for sale at http://www.timefactors.com in the Specials section of the website.

Quote Originally Posted by liggy
    Review of the Orange in review section which might be useful. It looks a very nice watch and great value for money.
    Thanks for the info - had a read and it does look like a very nice piece.

Only thing with the Steinhart is that it is 42mm - I do like bigger watches.. wheras the competition seem to be 40mm

No problem. I think just as a submariner wears bigger than its 40mm so will the Orange.

Journeyman

This one:

Like the Seiko...what model is that one again ?
    cheers :wink:

not a sub style fan but if i had too i would choose
    the OWC with snowflake hands.
    like the company,prefer the normal dimensions
    & just love the dial & especially the hands :drunken:

Master

Seiko with merc hands and super oyster,

Marcello C or Grovana

Hmm not sure on the Seiko front.

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by Ellietwed
    Like the Seiko...what model is that one again ?
    cheers :wink:
    It's an SKX031. If you want a low cost good quality sub-a-like (without looking too much like a copy) it is the knees of the bee. The bracelet it comes with looks ok but feels cheap, so worth spending another £25 on a Super Oyster.

It isn't hacking or hand winding though, so I'm interested to see where this thread goes, as ideally that's what I'd like...

In order of price and quality:

Alpha Submariner
    Seiko SKX031
    O&W M6
    O&W 3077
    Grovana/Roberts/Steinhart Ocean
    Marcello C Nettuno

I have had all but the Grovana/Roberts/Steinhart (so can't comment on them). The Alpha is surprisingly good for very little money and the Seiko is just plain good, a great watch in its own right. I always felt something was lacking in the O&W divers, but they are very well liked generally. I was very, very impressed with the Marcello C. Brilliant build quality and feel, and as someone else said, the bracelets are excellent.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Think I'm either going to wait for the Orange sub or go for the Steinhart... or blow the savings on a used Rolex ;)

Master

or blow the savings on a used Rolex ;)
    You're going to do it eventually, so why waste time?
    Go for it....

Alex

You lot really are a bad influence....my stirrings for a 2nd hand Submariner have awoken again...bah ! AT, explorer or Sub ? tough call...

Quote Originally Posted by alexandr0s
    or blow the savings on a used Rolex ;)
    You're going to do it eventually, so why waste time?
    Go for it....

Alex
    Exactly :twisted:

You are only putting off the inevitable. :lol:
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ellietwed
    You lot really are a bad influence....my stirrings for a 2nd hand Submariner have awoken again...bah ! AT, explorer or Sub ? tough call...
    Very different watches IMO but all very nice indeed.

AT - very smart without being flash
    Explorer - very smart but seems to look slightly smaller because of the larger bezel
    Sub - common on the forum but a stonking every day wearer and the archetypal Rolex

The Sub would often the backbone of someone's collection if they are into Rolex and then they seem to build from there. Just my opinion...

Good call PeterM, I agree with your comments on the AT, explorer and sub...I really need to manhandle each, love them in their own special way....and sell a lovely nearly new watch...sniff

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73
    Seiko SKX031K.
    Typical Seiko excellent quality & good value with just the right amount of 'Sub' reference...

Cheers :)

How about a singapore made sandoz 5513?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Sandoz-Submariner ... 2ea9378cf5

Ive never had one myself, but supposedly they are very good quality, and very "sub" like