closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Low-ball offers on SC....name & shame?

Grand Master

Low-ball offers on SC....name & shame?

Just been in touch with a fellow TZer and the topic of low-ball offers raised its head.

Personally I haven`t had too much trouble when I`ve sold stuff, but it seems that a lot of this goes on with potential buyers sensing desparation and putting in derisory offers. I`m all for trying to get a good deal, but beyond a certain point the 'offer' becomes an insult.

I`m sure this will be contentious, but perhaps we should 'name and shame' the culprits? In many cases we all know what the fair market value for a watch should be and to offer substantially below this value does become an insult.

All comments welcome :)

Paul

Re: Low-ball offers on SC....name & shame?

No, for what it's worth. Creates bad feeling we can do without. A simple 'no' in reply to the PM will suffice.

Master
    Blog Entries

I wouldn't mind someone making a low ball offer, as long as they don't mind getting as a answer. Don't see that there is any need to name and shame unless their overall conduct has been that of an ass.

I have had a few lowball offers on some that I have sold, I just take it with a pinch of salt and politely refuse, its all part of the process I think and does not bother me too much.

I did have one lowballer keep upping his offer over a few PM's until he reached my asking price though :lol: so always best not to be rude and hey if you don't ask you don't get.

I tend to panic if I see a watch on SC I like and PM I'll take it rather than making an offer as I'm paranoid it will be sold
    Cheers

Simon

Ralph Waldo Emerson: We ask for long life, but 'tis deep life, or noble moments that signify. Let the measure of time be spiritual, not mechanical.

Master

To be honest I don't see what the fuss is...if you get an offer you don't like just politely refuse...can't see how it's an insult. On my AD's when I state no trades and people pm me with trade offers I just say thanks, but no thanks. You know how the saying goes...don't ask don't get.

Grand Master

Never had a problem on SC, people offer what they see is fair, sellers have a price in mind so i can't see a problem unless someone takes an offer personally.

On ebay though it's another thing completely, i remember selling something and the price was up at something like £600 with several bidders, someone comes in and offers me £300 to end the auction, christ they were annoying :lol:

Understand the annoyance, but not sure what naming & shaming would achieve.

If a potential buyer makes you an acceptable offer, would you reject it because he had a history of making low ball offers?

If he also had a history of slow payment or other mucking about, that would be a different matter & that's what H&V is for.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Quote Originally Posted by WORKSIMON
    I tend to panic if I see a watch on SC I like and PM I'll take it rather than making an offer as I'm paranoid it will be sold
    I tend to be the same. Low balling on a watch you really wanted seems like a risky strategy.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master

I've had a few low balls, the close ones get a polite reply the p*** takers not.
    as I said in my Inge sales thread,
    The price does not reflect the fact that I'm,
    a, desperate
    b, stupid
    Not worth naming, imo.

If the offer is made via a PM I fail to see what the issue is?
    Just say no..privately!

Name and shame those who renegue on deals or try to pass on dodgy watches, give an inaccurate description etc by all means but to publicly name someone who starts a bartering process with what the vendor considers to be a derisory offer strikes me as being a waste of forum time and space! :?

Master

Just as sellers should be able to ask what they want buyers should be able to offer what they want. If it's unacceptable they don't get the watch - no big deal.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims
    Quote Originally Posted by WORKSIMON
    I tend to be the same. Low balling on a watch you really wanted seems like a risky strategy.
    I know people have lost out on watches I've had up by putting in an offer when I've had a later pm saying "I'll take it"

For what it's worth, I quite like it when I see a 'PM sent' followed by a 'And replied to'.

I think that that form of reply says everything it needs to.

Graham.

Not such a good idea I think.

Had a few low ballers over the years - generally they get a polite PM saying 'thanks, but no thanks' . If it's a really low offer then I do not reply, although one tenacious individual tried a couple of times and followed it up with a 'is this still for sale?' to which I responded - 'Yes, at the price advertised'.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master

Quote Originally Posted by grey
    For what it's worth, I quite like it when I see a 'PM sent' followed by a 'And replied to'.

Graham.
    The curse of the "pm sent", in my experience about 5% end up in a sale. :roll:

Grand Master

General concensus seems to be against the 'name & shame' approach.....maybe it isn`t such a good idea and I guess it achieves little, although it may put people off making insultingly low offers.

Paul

At the end of the day, you would know what the current market value or a watch is. Perhaps after receiving a low ball offer via PM, one could update the listing with a post of the offer and the person who made it. Then politely educate them on the same post as to the current values. No meaning to shame them but maybe they are not up to date with current values.

Thanks for looking

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958
    Personally I haven`t had too much trouble when I`ve sold stuff, but it seems that a lot of this goes on with potential buyers sensing desparation and putting in derisory offers. I`m all for trying to get a good deal, but beyond a certain point the 'offer' becomes an insult.
    As a seller a low offer doesn't bother me. All I have to say is "no thanks" or "can you offer more?". I can see no reason to interpret an offer to buy my goods as an insult.

I`m sure this will be contentious, but perhaps we should 'name and shame' the culprits?
    It's not clear to me that someone who makes a low offer has done anything to be ashamed of. Good for them if they can do the deal at a low price. No one is obliged to sell at a price they find unacceptable.

In many cases we all know what the fair market value for a watch should be and to offer substantially below this value does become an insult.
    The "fair market value" for an item is whatever price the buyer and seller can negotiate. If it's a low price then so be it.

In my experience (on another forum :roll: ) "pm sent" means they are interested in trading 5 gold plated invictas for the watch...plus cash. Or a go at their wife...plus cash :twisted: .

Quote Originally Posted by Gunscrossed
    Quote Originally Posted by grey

Graham.
    The curse of the "pm sent", in my experience about 5% end up in a sale. :roll:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by phil h
    I wouldn't mind someone making a low ball offer, as long as they don't mind getting as a answer. Don't see that there is any need to name and shame unless their overall conduct has been that of an ass.
    Exactly.

Master

Low-ballers are frustrating no doubt, here or anywhere. I just sold an item on ebay where someone bid the item up to its reserve and then asked if I would end the auction early at that price :roll:

At the end of the day it's not so hard to reply with a polite no though is it?

As for naming and shaming, can you imagine how many pages such threads would run too, no doubt resplendent with charming words like "cock" that internet forums have made so popular :roll:

That'll be a no from me then :lol:

Blog Entries

General concensus seems to be against the 'name & shame' approach.....maybe it isn`t such a good idea and I guess it achieves little, although it may put people off making insultingly low offers.
    For the life of me I cannot see how any offer, no matter how low, can be "insultingly low". I just don't see what "insult" has to do with buying and selling in this context.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by phil h
    I wouldn't mind someone making a low ball offer, as long as they don't mind getting as a answer.
    Same here, not a problem for me. I'd rather get offers than no response at all, even if the offers aren't of interest.

There's no harm in a cheeky offer. :)

Master

Master

Why not name and shame, all the sellers whom are expecting to much for their watch :lol: :lol: And all their mates who keep piping up on what a bargin it is :D :D

Personaly I couldn't give a toss if someone lowballs me.... If I had a watch on for £900 and someone offered me £50 I'd just laugh at them, and tell them its their's... When they come back with a sensible offer :wink:

its part and parcel of selling a watch , just roll with it
    you just tell them no and good luck finding one at the price they have offered

lifes too short to get into fights and bickering over it ,
    the chances are the watch will be sold sooner rather than later anyway
    so dont sweat it .

whats the problem? as a seller ive had quite a few lowball offers too. some of them make me chuckle to myself :D
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by EZM1
    At the end of the day, you would know what the current market value or a watch is. Perhaps after receiving a low ball offer via PM, one could update the listing with a post of the offer and the person who made it. Then politely educate them on the same post as to the current values. No meaning to shame them but maybe they are not up to date with current values.
    Or maybe it's the seller that is not up to date with current values. I'm sure we've all seen watches listed at optimistically high prices. "Lowball offers", or offers as I like to call them, could well be an indication of the true market value. After all a watch is only worth what someone is willing to pay.

Dave

You must be an extremely sensitive sort if you feel "insulted" by the price someone is prepared to pay for an item you are selling. :lol:

Why would you need to? If I get an offer below my price by PM, I reply by PM. I've never had anyone get snarky or rude about it, or overpersistant, so I don't let it bother me.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

whats a low ball offer? if i sell a watch for £1000 on the sales corner whats an acceptable offer to make?

Quote Originally Posted by jonny
    whats a low ball offer? if i sell a watch for £1000 on the sales corner whats an acceptable offer to make?
    You offer yourself - hell of a twist to the discussion :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon
    For the life of me I cannot see how any offer, no matter how low, can be "insultingly low". I just don't see what "insult" has to do with buying and selling in this context.
    100% agreed.

I have a price in mind - if i get near that then it goes, if not then it stays. ALL offers are welcome, very worst i can reply is GTF :lol:

Master

I had one the other week saying...... "Great watch, but I could never pay nearly £££... What will you take??" :)

My reply was "thats fine, good luck in finding one at the price you're willing to pay"" :wink:

Sold to the next person to PM :D :D

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon
    100% agreed.

I have a price in mind - if i get near that then it goes, if not then it stays. ALL offers are welcome, very worst i can reply is GTF :lol:
    £20k for the M5........ok, I'll G myself TF

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch
    Why not name and shame, all the sellers whom are expecting to much for their watch :lol: :lol: And all their mates who keep piping up on what a bargin it is :D :D
    +1
    This practice really irritates me as I find it patronising - it gives the impression that there's a small clique of 'clever' members and a larger bunch of numptys who can be suckered into paying over the odds for something. This is really 'sharp practice' and deceitful in nature. It isn't too hard to establish who's scratching whose back.

Quote Originally Posted by TomGW
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch
    +1
    This practice really irritates me as I find it patronising - it gives the impression that there's a small clique of 'clever' members and a larger bunch of numptys who can be suckered into paying over the odds for something. This is really 'sharp practice' and deceitful in nature. It isn't too hard to establish who's scratching whose back.
    Agreed.

It's pure comedy

Simple......Two wrongs dont make a right.

Life is like a fridge , you only get out what you put in !
    Blog Entries

Never got chance to low Baller you for the Air King Paul, you had me over a barrel mate :D

A 'lowball' offer can surely only be of any concern to a seller if he secretly believes that it may represent the true market value of what he's selling - therby undermining his confidence. Otherwise, what possible harm can it do?

if an offer is piss-taking - and I've had some that were - I just ignore them, delete the pm and move on.
    It's a market, shit happens, there will be chancers...

Cheers,
    Steve

Master

Just been in touch with a fellow TZer and the topic of low-ball offers raised its head.

I`m sure this will be contentious, but perhaps we should 'name and shame' the culprits? In many cases we all know what the fair market value for a watch should be and to offer substantially below this value does become an insult.

All comments welcome :)

Paul

Name and shame! Ludicrous post! Why would you want to name and shame someone for making an offer!!!!! Like others have said if you get an offer via PM and it's low you just say no thanks, what's the big deal I make lower offers not too low but i have a go, and others make me lower offers on things I sell it's all part of the selling process on SC as for someone feeing insulted :D I find that a bit hard to believe.

Any further south and i would have wet feet

It's a firm no from me as well...daft idea.
    What about members who pm regarding a sale,making a cash + trade offer? You didn't advertise it as trade so should you consider that an insult as well?
    As far as i'm concerned any offer is a welcome-daft ones just get politely turned down.

Journeyman

I developrd a policy for low-ball offers. Some of you have probably seen it:
    Low Offer Policy:
    I write down every offer in descending order, and will contact you if the offering price gets within a few dollars of your offer. Meanwhile, it will be sold to the first person who, at the price of the day, says "I'll take it. Wrap it up. What's your paypal account?” It works very well. I have a template e-mail response, "Thanks for your offer. It has been added to the list."

More problematic for me are PMs, many of which I don't read in time, and angry follow-ups when the watch has been sold.
    I've had to add this to my posts:
    REQUEST: Please contact me initially via e-mails. I post every watch on numerous sales forums. It is hard to check every forum on a regular basis. I respond to e-mails more quickly as they all come to one place, They are time-dated and I can respond to them in the order that they are received. This cuts down on conflict over who got there first. Please provide me with your forum name so that we can PM each other prior to finalizing the sale to verify each other’s ID. I have many references if needed. Feel free to inquire if you have any questions: mrboots@optonline.net This is also my Paypal address.

As for appropriate "low ball" offers, I consider an offer of 10-15% below the posted price to be a fair, but low offer. Offers lower than that are just shots in the dark, and my watches generally sell long before that point.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Boots
    I developrd a policy for low-ball offers. Some of you have probrbly seen it:
    Low Offer Policy:
    I write down every offer in descending order, and will contact you if the offering price gets within a few dollars of your offer. Meanwhile, it will be sold to the first person who, at the price of the day, says "I'll take it. Wrap it up. What's your paypal account?” It works very well. have a template e-mail response, "Thanks for your. It has been added to the list."
    I employ the same tiered strategy, which is nice when somebody offers a low one, as if a low offerer keeps persisting, the reply generally runs

'Thank you for your offer, I will bear it in mind in case the four higher offers do not go ahead'.

Sellers can ask whatever they like, buyers can offer whatever they like. As long as folks deal politely I don't see a problem. Where does shame come into it?
    F.T.F.A.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by magirus
    Sellers can ask whatever they like, buyers can offer whatever they like. As long as folks deal politely I don't see a problem. Where does shame come into it?
    Exactly. I am sure the OP has asked for discount on something he has bought before? If you dont ask you dont get...

EDIT: Outside TZ i.e. shop/showroom etc

I don't usually buy anything on SC but TBH with some of the ridiculously expensive amounts some people want for some watches, especially as it's costing them nothing to post the ad, it's not surprising they get a "lowball" offer.

FWIW when watches are offered to me I make lowball offers all the time. If the seller has bought it cheap from a boot sale, house clearance or whatever they are still making good money.

A bit of haggling and often a middle ground is found.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    No such thing as 'Low-ball offer'. Something is only worth what someone is willing to pay. An offer is an offer is an offer. Get enough of them below your asking price and you need to reconsider your asking price if you want to sell.

Blog Entries

I totally disagree with 'naming and shaming' for no other reason that a member makes a lowball offer. The issue is self-solving, if someone makes an offer that is too low, they will not get the item, simples! :roll:

'Naming and shaming' because someone makes a unacceptable offer is a nonsense, apart from being damned rude and only promotes disharmony which this forum can happily do without!

Consider making a fuss if a potential buyer is being an annoying/ slow-paying/ word-breaking arse, but fuss over something worth fussing over! :twisted:

:roll: