closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Low-ball offers on SC....name & shame?

Master

Re: Low-ball offers on SC....name & shame?

I've had afew, usually from relative newbies and I just politely refuse poinitng out that I would rather keep it that let them get their grubby mits on it :D

Surely, an offer is (usually) the starting point for negotiation, even if the buyer and seller can't agree in the end, in which case a polite "no thanks" will do. If someone took the p*ss out of my offer on SC, I wouldn't deal with that seller again.

And quite frankly, there is enough bloody aggravation and provocation on here at the moment without causing more by naming and shaming! Is it too much to ask that members just exercise common sense - and don't ask me to define/explain common sense! :evil:

Ridiculous idea.

I'm happy to have any offer on anything I am selling, here or anywhere else. I tend not to make offers, but can't see any reason why anyone would be offended by an offer of cash for something they no longer want. if the amount is too low, make a counter offer if you want to, or say no.

Both watches I've bought on SC I thought were well priced and I bought at asking price. I think offers are often telling the seller that they have priced their item too high - I still think its odd when I see a not particularly unusual watch on SC that is 90% the price or even the same as a new one can be had for.

Quote Originally Posted by phil h
    I wouldn't mind someone making a low ball offer, as long as they don't mind getting as a answer. Don't see that there is any need to name and shame unless their overall conduct has been that of an ass.
    +1

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring
    No, for what it's worth. Creates bad feeling we can do without. A simple 'no' in reply to the PM will suffice.
    Totally agreed.

Or don't reply at all, I think that's a clear enough message :)

Cheers,

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Blog Entries

Sorry all, but I really dont know what the fuss is about, low offers are always used to start the negotiation - its called bartering.

If people get upset with "Low Ball Offers" why not use the magic of eBay!

Really odd topic of converstation this - maybe i will start a thread of hi-pitch sellers on sc....name and shame?

If an offers not good for you then dont accept it...but maybe the lo-ball offers are only aimed at the high pitch sellers.
    I usually find an acceptable deal can be reached as long as neither side is taking the piss - buyers and sellers.

Whilst I appreciate the sentiment expressed by the OP - to prevent people being taken advantage of - I can't see what the 'name and shame' would achieve other than to make this place seem a bit vigilante.

As numerous people have said - a polite declinature is all it takes - you shuold try selling a car if you think some watch offers are insulting! :)

As I said - I'm sure the suggestion was made with the very best of intentions, so to the OP - well done :)

Master

ridiculously expensive amounts some people want for some watches
    I've thought this too, and it always seems to be the rare / unusual watches that are overpriced. I've come to the conclusion that as prices for these types of watches are more difficult to determine people feel free to try it on.

I don't think naming and shaming is a good idea, although i'd love to see a "classic PM's" thread (names removed of course) , i've had a few quality ones that have made me almost cry with laughing so hard :D

Craftsman

Like they say .............. not appropriate really. Ive bought several watches on here making offers a LITTLE below the asking price, and missed a few as well, always nice to get a deal, but i try not to take the piss. If you dont like the offer say no. I guess the haggling is part of the fun of buying used anything. Or maybe thats just the Aberdonian in ME !!!!!!!! :roll: :roll: :roll:

Niall

A polite 'no thanks' if you really feel its laughable, but as mentioned, use it as an in on negotiation and get them to come up to what you think is acceptable, bargaining!
    The next time you put something up on the sc, they might be the first one to snap it up at the price you ask for as they really really want it!

Whats all this stuff about other members bumping up their 'pals' items? isnt it just friendly folk making a supportive comment? or is there some suggestion of a secret inner circle being hinted at...........not by me I might add!

Master

Quote Originally Posted by magirus
    Sellers can ask whatever they like, buyers can offer whatever they like. As long as folks deal politely I don't see a problem. Where does shame come into it?
    Via their ego! :roll:

[quote="Enoch"]Why not name and shame, all the sellers whom are expecting to much for their watch :lol: :lol: And all their mates who keep piping up on what a bargin it is :D :D

Also the amusing thing is, you never see thier Mates buying the Watch, seeing as it is such a bargain. :D

I havn't had to much problem selling over the past few years. A no thanks, normally works. Then won't deal with again.

I did the opposite and paid double what the watch was worth - there were other problems the seller didn't advertise. My fault for not checking the prices properly - his for the other issues. I won't deal with him again.

An offer is an offer, take it or leave it but no need to feel offended. Given that some sellers just don't seem to get the message that at 'that' price the watch will hang around SC forever...like some sort of sticky post. :lol: Dealers are easily identified and can be expected to make low-ball offers, so just ignore them.

Craftsman

Pointless in my opinion, you don't ask, you don't get....I use AVForums sales section, over there, all offers have to be in the original thread, and it's great, strongly moderated, which keeps it civil, and once you commit to buy, if you then don't go through with it you get a trading ban. Nice open method of trading IMO.

Master

I have bought several watches on SC - and like others have always paid the asking price. Buying ones I wanted, I did not want to miss out.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by whoami
    Quote Originally Posted by TomGW
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch
    Why not name and shame, all the sellers whom are expecting to much for their watch :lol: :lol: And all their mates who keep piping up on what a bargin it is :D :D
    +1
    This practice really irritates me as I find it patronising - it gives the impression that there's a small clique of 'clever' members and a larger bunch of numptys who can be suckered into paying over the odds for something. This is really 'sharp practice' and deceitful in nature. It isn't too hard to establish who's scratching whose back.
    Agreed.

It's pure comedy
    What a fantastic looking post, if i didn't have one already...... :)

My philosophy is this.

If I think a watch on the SC is great value and I do want it, I will say I will take it at the asking price. The price may be fair or may be more than I would want to pay, but if you like something and want to be in the position where you don't want to lose out on it, then why not take it at the asking price.

If I feel it is slightly over-priced, I will normally ask the seller for their best price. Negotiating is all part of the fun, whether buying or selling.

There is no need to name and shame. I agree with Magirus who said (and I quote):

"Sellers can ask whatever they like, buyers can offer whatever they like. As long as folks deal politely I don't see a problem. Where does shame come into it?"

Whether someone makes me a low ball offer or not, I always respond. For whatever reason, there is nothing worse than ignoring any PM. That of course is my personal opinion and one I will stick to, now and in the future.

Master

An overwhelming to this one by the looks.

No need to take offense regarding low ball offers..............normally they come with a polite pm attached.

If the offer does not match the price required there's no deal so no one is worse off, so whats the problem?

Everyone loves a good barter, especially in these hard economic times and if you don't ask you'll never know! Naturally if you are taking the proverbial don't expect a reply!!
    “Don’t look back, you’re not heading that way.”

There will always be chancers regardless of what you're selling or where you're selling it. I usually delete them without reply and save my PMs.

I usually tend to underprice stuff due to not being quite sure what a watch is worth. How do you decide? its not cut and dried exactly what its worth. In that light, people will make a guess and hope for the best...

Master

How did this topic manage 5 pages??? :?

Grand Master Scottishtrunkmonkey's Avatar

I apologise to all involved :lol:
    Respect the past, live the present, protect the future

I feel all lowballers should have our sympathy rather than being named and shamed, and seek urgent medical advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Scottishtrunkmonkey
    I apologise to all involved :lol:
    My philosophy is if you don't ask, you don't get :D .

But I guess you could ask, has low balling worked for you?

Nothing wrong with making an offer, would always suspect someone being a dealer on any really low-ball offers.

Cheers
    Crispin

Master

One persons lowball is anothers reasonable offer!

Its all very subjective isnt it. I guess if you want to show your self up and start a lot of bitter infighting, but I wouldnt want to see TZ end up like that thankyou, it would spoil it for everyone......

Journeyman

If you invite offers then expect some low ones. Not everyone knows the true value of all the models. If you know what you want for it jsut tell them.

Helmbarrie

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LuBee
    One persons lowball is anothers reasonable offer!

exactly :wink:

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by Panofsky
    Quote Originally Posted by EZM1
    At the end of the day, you would know what the current market value or a watch is. Perhaps after receiving a low ball offer via PM, one could update the listing with a post of the offer and the person who made it. Then politely educate them on the same post as to the current values. No meaning to shame them but maybe they are not up to date with current values.
    Or maybe it's the seller that is not up to date with current values. I'm sure we've all seen watches listed at optimistically high prices. "Lowball offers", or offers as I like to call them, could well be an indication of the true market value. After all a watch is only worth what someone is willing to pay.

Dave
    Im sure theres possibly an element of both in there somewhere, but surely somethings only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it as Dave says.

What gets my goat is people asking too much for a watch.

I'd gladly name and shame them if they already hadn't named and shamed themselves when they place the ad. :D

Its a bad time for everyone. What they offer is up to them. Ive made low offers before on deals and have had them accepted. The watch is only worth what a person will buy for.
    The art of "Low ball offers" is to get the "Height" just about "right" and never ever move from that. You lose a few deals but "hey Ho" :P :P :P

I can imagine after Christmas there will be a flood of stuff for sale to raise money. Those that have the money to buy will dictate the value. Its a good time to pick the meat off the bones !

Master

So no-one naming then? :wink:

Part of life I'm afraid in normal circs people in general do not like paying the asking price on high value items, get over it and if you don't want offers just put on your Ad FIRM NO OFFERS. If you do get an offer below your ''firm'' price just ignore it.

I'm happy for anyone to offer on one of my sales post especially if I have the price wildly wrong :lol:

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958
    Just been in touch with a fellow TZer and the topic of low-ball offers raised its head.

Personally I haven`t had too much trouble when I`ve sold stuff, but it seems that a lot of this goes on with potential buyers sensing desparation and putting in derisory offers. I`m all for trying to get a good deal, but beyond a certain point the 'offer' becomes an insult.

I`m sure this will be contentious, but perhaps we should 'name and shame' the culprits? In many cases we all know what the fair market value for a watch should be and to offer substantially below this value does become an insult.

All comments welcome :)

Paul
    No. what makes you right and the other person wrong? It's subjective and each is entitled the his/her own view / approach without this forum turning into a bitter forum for slanging matches.

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by sestrel
    Its all very subjective isnt it. I guess if you want to show your self up and start a lot of bitter infighting, but I wouldnt want to see TZ end up like that thankyou, it would spoil it for everyone......
    what he said.

Quote Originally Posted by spogehead
    Part of life I'm afraid in normal circs people in general do not like paying the asking price on high value items, get over it and if you don't want offers just put on your Ad FIRM NO OFFERS. If you do get an offer below your ''firm'' price just ignore it.
    This seems a sensible approach!

Cheers
    Crispin

Grand Master

To add to the earlier comment, i also think that pricing in Sales Corner has a few different levels, you have those who list their watch at the price they want, then those who add on 10% so they can then get what they want and the buyer feels they're getting a discount and you get those who price their watch too high and don't budge on price because they're not that desperate to sell.

Of course you'll get low ball offers for those who list too high, but it's only because people are different in their approach.

Blog Entries

Anyone who is seriously looking to buy should do their homework and have a fair idea what the price should be. If the seller is asking way above 'going levels' then they should not feel 'put out' on receipt of an equally lower bid :wink:
    It's much more annoying when timewasters confirm being 'man of their word' etc for a delayed completion, then suddenly, on reaching 'payment day' asking 'which price did we agree ?' and a subsequent 'no it's too much, thanks but no thanks' - THAT pi...s me off ! (as it happened here !)

Hence in short to your thread, - to your suggestion as the worst reply you can get on taking a punt is a firm (but DOES give the seller a choice !) :lol:
    Peter

I've been asked a few times and have asked once or twice myself. I'm not bothered being asked, though I do do the research usually :D

Strange thread. I do think some people are a little overly sensitive as IMO.

Personally I find much more "desperation" in threads that end up with the subject line changed to "FINAL REDUCTION", because hell that's much more likely to make someone buy the watch.

Master

My favourite is

"Last reduction and then its on Ebay"

Ooh Ooh, I'd better buy it then so you don't have to put it on Ebay :roll: :lol: :wink:

The other one is £1000 "FIRM"...... Then a few posts down you see the price has dropped to £950 :? Mmmm So not that "FIRM" then eh?? :D :lol:

Page 7 & no further input from the OP tells it's own story, I think.
    In a nutshell...
    Seller sets a price.
    Potential buyer evaluates price.
    If price is not deemed suitable by potential buyer,
    he can walk, or attempt to negotiate price.
    Seller evaluates what potential buyer offers & can walk, or negotiate.
    Low-ball offers, I would suggest, are generally perceived as such by the seller,
    not the potential buyer. If a low-ball offer offends a person so much, don't
    offer to sell without clearly stating that offers are not acceptable.
    BTW, I hope this doesn't start a rash of post on SC with "price firm".
    This will only discourage buyers.
    ______

​Jim.

Journeyman

Thanks, Yes or Sorry no, doesnt seem so hard to type, whats all the fuss about>?

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Gamma500
    Thanks, Yes or Sorry no, doesnt seem so hard to type, whats all the fuss about>?
    ''Quite.''

Master

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958
    Just been in touch with a fellow TZer and the topic of low-ball offers raised its head.

Personally I haven`t had too much trouble when I`ve sold stuff, but it seems that a lot of this goes on with potential buyers sensing desparation and putting in derisory offers. I`m all for trying to get a good deal, but beyond a certain point the 'offer' becomes an insult.

I`m sure this will be contentious, but perhaps we should 'name and shame' the culprits? In many cases we all know what the fair market value for a watch should be and to offer substantially below this value does become an insult.

All comments welcome :)

Paul
    does it actually happen or have you imagined it? as you say, you havent had much 'trouble' and a lot of this goes on. it doesnt seem to bother anyone else.

on the flip side some sellers set the price too high in the first place,thats my opinion.Everyone wants a bargain and you can just say no.