Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Fakes - cop yourself on.

Master

Re: Fakes - cop yourself on.

[quote=Chris_in_the_UK]
    Quote Originally Posted by ArcofZen
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunscrossed
    Quote Originally Posted by "Matt.D":1otc4rqp
    Come on guys, don't fall out over trivial things, it's Christmas after all :lol:

Whether or not someone chooses to buy a fake, wouldn't it be better for the forum membership if rather than discussing the legitimacy of owning or selling fakes, we somehow built up a kind of database of what makes and models are copied so members (especially on SC) can refer to it and hopefully prevent instances of what happened recently. Personally I scan the replica forums to see what’s about when looking at any new purchase. Just ads that bit of protection.
    Wise words Matt, that was the original idea :thumbright:

:reindeer: :santa:
    +1

It seems to me that some folk would like to wish that all fakes are rubbish copies that fall apart. Unfortunately we all know that's no longer the case.
    Do we - anybody have proof or experience of the longevity/durability?

We also know that this is only going to become more of an issue as they improve and become even cheaper. Moral standpoints are rather irrelevant if you end up buying one in error. Its time to accept this fact and guard against it imo.
    Are you seriously suggesting that we all adopt a 'devil my care' attitude over this? I would suggest you may feel differently if you were an injured party, If you were a knowing participant then you are wearing your morals on your wrist (literally).[/quote:1otc4rqp]

I personally believe that hoping fakes will not improve is almost worst than naive. In fact history proves it to be so. I also find it staggering that $500 fakes exist and that people pay that kind of money.....but they do.
    Its not about feelings, its about facts. And the fact is its easy to be fooled regardless of moral viewpoint so be careful!

Master

I'm sorry, but all this talk of "hurt" and "victims" and the cretinous comparison with fake medicines is absolute bullshit.
    The very worst that can happen is someone living in our overprivileged Western society who has far more money than they need will lose a bit of it.
    Unpleasant and annoying perhaps, but let's face it that's the extent of it. There are millions of people in the world with real problems so to talk about someone losing some surplus cash on a watch as if it's a matter of life and death is pathetic. I'm so embarrassed I've gone red for you!

I've been keeping an eye on this post for some time, and some folks comments have had me baffled. Can I ask what " would suggest you may feel differently if you were an injured party, If you were a knowing participant then you are wearing your morals on your wrist (literally)" means, as I really don't know how to read it. [/quote]

?

The poster suggests that moral standpoints are irrelevant - I disagree, allowing and condoning the production and sales of fake watches damages many - hence the comment if you were a victim you may feel differently. If you entered into ownership 'eyes wide open' then you knowingly and willingly are displaying you are happy to buy a fake, fund the market in fakes, etc, etc.[/quote]

Ok, now I understand a bit better. I'm on your side when it comes to frowning on fakes. However, it's really not such a big issue for me at all, and I can't seem to get my head round the fact that so many people get really worked up about something, that they can never have any control over.

For me, most people who buy a fake watch are not in to the watch it's self, but see these watches as a low cost throw away fashion item, perhaps that's why , Bell & Ross, Panerai & U Boat are some of the most copied watches around today, outside of Rolex of course.

Journeyman

Think theres two sides to this, theres the just bought a (enter name of high end watch here) that turns out to be not what it says on the (enter watch component name here) and you lose hard earned on it, thats the ugly side, then theres the bought a (for arguments sake) LookyLikey RadioMir, sterile dialed, may have a swiss/chinese whatever movement, looks like one, works like one cost 70-300 quid but you knew what it was, both fakes, but are both wrong? (No doubt will wish Id not gone there with this one lol)

Quote Originally Posted by Cynar
    I'm sorry, but all this talk of "hurt" and "victims" and the cretinous comparison with fake medicines is absolute bullshit.
    The very worst that can happen is someone living in our overprivileged Western society who has far more money than they need will lose a bit of it.
    Unpleasant and annoying perhaps, but let's face it that's the extent of it. There are millions of people in the world with real problems so to talk about someone losing some surplus cash on a watch as if it's a matter of life and death is pathetic. I'm so embarrassed I've gone red for you!
    You seem to be unable grasp what was written, I suggest you go back and try to retain the context.

I was commenting on the ethicality of faking per se, not just of watches. You asked my what I meant by the 'hurt' of fakes and I responded:
    You: What do you mean by 'the hurt'?
    Me: People being sold fake items believing it to be genuine. And I don't just mean watches.
    Despite my clear statement, you appear to either be unable to understand or choose to ignore it and try to twist the point made to your own end. Ironically, you draw attention to people in the world with real problems and that was the very point I subsequently made in response to you. Whilst working for a charity in West Africa I have seen the results of children dying due to fake malaria medication, but as I doubt you would take my word as a 'cretin' :roll: I suggest a simple search (try the World Health Organisation for starters) will confirm the scale of the problem.

Here's an example:
    The problem has been particularly acute with the treatment of malaria in Africa, with anti-malaria drugs faked on an industrial scale. Professor Nick White, of Oxford University, one of the world's leading experts on malaria, said: "We estimate that there are more than one million deaths each year - which is the equivalent of seven jumbo jets going down every day. And 90 per cent of those deaths are in children."

Professor White said that counterfeit medicine was a major reason why malaria had become, over the past 30 years, Africa's biggest child killer, from an illness that used to be easily treated with medicines.
    Having seen the results of fakery with my own eyes, dug graves for the children who have died as a direct result of being given fake medicine and assisted in burying them then perhaps you will allow me the opinion that "fakes can hurt''.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by Driftwood

I find that Most Rolex owners seem so bloody "smug" about their watch etc.Most have never taken the SD closer to water than a glass of Evian !!
    If you've met them they were probably fake as well. :lol: :wink:

Its buying into a "image" of been a "action man" or a" Geezer" etc .
    Thanks for telling us.

Only nice old "Oysters" etc have class.
    Why? Speaking as an owner of vintage and modern I would like to know.

Is it something to do with old money or what?

Met a guy a few months ago that had a £60k ROLEX (Yes!) and had the style and habits of 3rd generation dole monkey. But his "Rolex' gave him status !
    Maybe to you. :wink:

In my WIS life I have met dozens of Rolex owners and strangely enough not one of them fits your stereotype.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Life is like a fridge , you only get out what you put in !
    Blog Entries

This thread is like an old Medievil witch hunt, some of you witchfinder generals need to chill out, Good Replica watchess are here and wont be going anywhere, yes the odd person will get ripped off by a villain, who will take advantage of this.

I suspect there are a few TZ-UK members ( maybe more than a few ) who have the odd good quality replica, SO WHAT ! move on , and go join the Flat earth society, they are a fashion accessory that ,as an aside gives and indication of time
    ( some better than the original COSC vesrions costing 10x more )

Trading Standards are doing what they can but it's a bit like the little Dutch boy with his finger in the Dyke .

Amazing how my Pm box contains MANY MANY requests to view/buy top end Rolex fakes !!! (Not going to entertain any requests)
    Rolex have a "image" and many owners cannot deal with it. Its a "Del Boy" watch And no difference if its real or fake.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy
    You seem to be unable grasp what was written, I suggest you go back and try to retain the context.

I was commenting on the ethicality of faking per se, not just of watches. You asked my what I meant by the 'hurt' of fakes and I responded:
    You: What do you mean by 'the hurt'?
    Me: People being sold fake items believing it to be genuine. And I don't just mean watches.
    Despite my clear statement, you appear to either be unable to understand or choose to ignore it and try to twist the point made to your own end. Ironically, you draw attention to people in the world with real problems and that was the very point I subsequently made in response to you. Whilst working for a charity in West Africa I have seen the results of children dying due to fake malaria medication, but as I doubt you would take my word as a 'cretin' :roll: I suggest a simple search (try the World Health Organisation for starters) will confirm the scale of the problem.

Here's an example:
    [quote:y4gyt8iw]The problem has been particularly acute with the treatment of malaria in Africa, with anti-malaria drugs faked on an industrial scale. Professor Nick White, of Oxford University, one of the world's leading experts on malaria, said: "We estimate that there are more than one million deaths each year - which is the equivalent of seven jumbo jets going down every day. And 90 per cent of those deaths are in children."

Professor White said that counterfeit medicine was a major reason why malaria had become, over the past 30 years, Africa's biggest child killer, from an illness that used to be easily treated with medicines.
    Having seen the results of fakery with my own eyes, dug graves for the children who have died as a direct result of being given fake medicine and assisted in burying them then perhaps you will allow me the opinion that "fakes can hurt''.

R[/quote:y4gyt8iw]

It was you who suddenly moved the argument completely out of context.
    I was commenting on the supposed "hurt" caused by fake watches. To make comparisons between this and children dying in Africa from fake medicines as if they're somehow connected is completely disingenuous and indeed cretinous. I have never seen such a ridiculous argument in my entire life.
    I maintain that the worst result of watch fakery is someone loses some disposable income. Oh dear, how sad, never mind.
    Quite how your gravedigging activities relate to that is completely beyond me.

Master

Amazing how my Pm box contains MANY MANY requests to view/buy top end Rolex fakes !!! (Not going to entertain any requests)
    Rolex have a "image" and many owners cannot deal with it. Its a "Del Boy" watch And no difference if its real or fake.
    I'm not surprised. I have one on order myself. I suppose I could afford a genuine Rolex if I really wanted one, but I have a lot of other priorities in my life that I'd rather spend my cash on at the moment. I may even change my mind in the future and buy the real deal but for now the fake will do. I suppose it may never turn up so I may lose a bit of cash, but I'm just hoping no African babies will die :wink: .

Master

If discussions were only raised on issues that led to 'the end of the world', there would be very little to talk about.

Journeyman

erm, how'd we know they were discussions that led to the end of the world>? Popbang oops!

Master

Quote Originally Posted by uwtc
    If discussions were only raised on issues that led to 'the end of the world', there would be very little to talk about.
    What a strange comment ???????
    I've re read the thread and can't see any mention of the end of the world. Just some healthy debate about the implications of watch fakery.

I was commenting on the supposed "hurt" caused by fake watches. To make comparisons between this and children dying in Africa from fake medicines as if they're somehow connected is completely disingenuous and indeed cretinous. I have never seen such a ridiculous argument in my entire life.
    I maintain that the worst result of watch fakery is someone loses some disposable income. Oh dear, how sad, never mind.

YOU asked ME what I meant by the hurt that can be caused by fakes:
    And I think it's because some people have seen the hurt that can be caused by the sale of fakes. :evil:
    R
    What do you mean by 'the hurt'?
    People being sold fake items believing it to be genuine. And I don't just mean watches.
    And I replied, clearly stating that my comment was based on more than watches.

I'm not going to discuss this any further with you; your inability to understand, childish comments and name-calling are not a basis for productive discussion.

Enjoy your fake watch.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master

The fact that you've ended up with a fake watch is hardly the end of the world
    :wink:

Master

Whoops missed that! :D

Master

I'm not going to discuss this any further with you; your inability to understand, childish comments and name-calling are not a basis for productive discussion.

Enjoy your fake watch.

R
    Don't confuse disagreement with lack of understanding. I made a few tongue in cheek comments, but never called you any names. I thought we were engaging in a bit of healthy debate about some watches. You really need to lighten up mate.

Enjoy your fake watch.

R
    Don't confuse disagreement with lack of understanding. I made a few tongue in cheek comments, but never called you any names. I thought we were engaging in a bit of healthy debate about some watches. You really need to lighten up mate.

Your right ! Many here are so stuck up their own arses .

Yes babies die due to fake drugs etc.They also die due to the greed of DRUG COMPANIES etc

Nothing like a fake rolex thread to bring down a few egos !

Enjoy your fake watch.

R
    No confusion on my part regarding your lack of understanding, but thanks for clarifying.

Must have been someone else you were regarding as cretinous then. :wink:

Once again, enjoy your fake watch.

I'm out of this.

R

Enjoy your fake watch.

R

Yes babies die due to fake drugs etc.They also die due to the greed of DRUG COMPANIES etc

YOU asked ME what I meant by the hurt that can be caused by fakes:
    And I think it's because some people have seen the hurt that can be caused by the sale of fakes. :evil:
    R
    What do you mean by 'the hurt'?
    People being sold fake items believing it to be genuine. And I don't just mean watches.
    And I replied, clearly stating that my comment was based on more than watches.

Enjoy your fake watch.

R
    The dying African children story, are the words of a beaten man, how can anyone try and link the production of a high quality fake watch, to dying kids in the Sudan.
    There is the other side to the fake business, where tens of thousands work in Asia, for very little money, in very poor conditions 7 days a week. The money eared is keeping them alive, and without it they would all be Fu*ked, so perhaps if we are so concern by their plight, we should then sell our watches and pass the dosh to the Red Cross etc.

Anyway, browsing the web, I have found the highest quality Seadweller rep ever made, cosc spec and WR1000 with fully working HEV, I don't want one, but could hardly blame others for taking the plunge.

Also, no Africa kids were killed or harmed in the production of this watch :P

Quote Originally Posted by captainhowdy
    .....how can anyone try and link the production of a high quality fake watch, to dying kids in the Sudan.]
    High quality fake watch - dying kids in Sudan?

You really have a vivid imagination. :D

It's 'earned' and 'concerned', btw. :wink:

R

Master

Whoops missed that! :D
    No worries! :D

I had a terrible feeling you would scroll back and edit the post, leaving me looking very foolish :lol:

Enjoy your fake watch.

R

It's an interesting but futile crusade you appear to be leading Drifty - but you seem to enjoy it. This thread has taken a few twists and turns but for me it has polarised into those that think fakes are ok and those that do not. For some strange reason you seem to be obsessed with everything Rolex and I suspect the gentleman protests too much?. Rolex represent a very small part of the fake watch market and watches represent a small part of the fake goods market

For me I have not had a Rolex in the collection for a while now and I dislike the way the designs are going from them. I disagree that they (or any other high end watches) are about the ego or show off aspect - that is the person wearing it not the watch, which says a lot about the person and the company they keep :wink:
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

.....how can anyone try and link the production of a high quality fake watch, to dying kids in the Sudan.]

R
    I thought you were not coming back to this post :roll:
    Also, to pick people up on their spelling only proves what I and others will be thinking, and that is, you need to make an appointment with the nurse, as you clearly have some tention in your anus

R
    Also, to pick people up on their spelling only proves what I and others will be thinking, and that is, you need to make an appointment with the nurse, as you clearly have some tention in your anus
    It's 'tension' :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK

R
    Also, to pick people up on their spelling only proves what I and others will be thinking, and that is, you need to make an appointment with the nurse, as you clearly have some tension in your anus

R
    Thanks but you get my drift, some people really need to get a life. :P

R
    Thanks but you get my drift, some people really need to get a life. :P

Chris

Its not that i dont respect Rolex for what they achieved etc. Some of their designs etc are amazing. Its just the whole way the Ownership of them can make a man "smug" I love Tudors so i guess i am a hipocrit who cant spell :D :D :D :D

Anyway.. like a shot of Tequila, take me with a pinch of salt !

Happy Christmas

Drift

Chris

Its not that i dont respect Rolex for what they achieved etc. Some of their designs etc are amazing. Its just the whole way the Ownership of them can make a man "smug" I love Tudors so i guess i am a hipocrit who cant spell :D :D :D :D

Anyway.. like a shot of Tequila, take me with a pinch of salt !

Happy Christmas

Drift
    I agree with the 'smug' but that's the person not the watch - you forgot the lime :wink:

No, never said I wasn't coming back to the thread, just the to & fro with Cynar. :roll:

I think the tension may be on your part; look how you respond when someone helps you with your spelling! :wink: :D

But I am a little crouchy; just had an overnight flight that was packed (due to picking up some of the stuck passengers from the Scottish airline that went bust) so no sleep, no food and then a loooong drive back through the snow, so probably not as 'balanced as I'd like to be, so apologies for that. (And ironically, I do have an operation on Monday via the 'back door' :shock:).

So tell you all what: if your comfortable with your fakes then fine, enjoy them and for those that aren't, you enjoy your genuine watches too.

Peace on earth to all.

R

No, never said I wasn't coming back to the thread, just the to & fro with Cynar. :roll:

I think the tension may be on your part; look how you respond when someone helps you with your spelling! :wink: :D

But I am a little crouchy; just had an overnight flight that was packed (due to picking up some of the stuck passengers from the Scottish airline that went bust) so no sleep, no food and then a loooong drive back through the snow, so probably not as 'balanced as I'd like to be, so apologies for that. (And ironically, I do have an operation on Monday via the 'back door' :shock:).

So tell you all what: if your comfortable with your fakes then fine, enjoy them and for those that aren't, you enjoy your genuine watches too.

Iknew it, I can spot your type a mile off. Let's hope they are gentle with you, and you don't get out there with an arse like a blood orange.

Oh, and by the way, I do not have, or intend to buy any fake watches, but have no hang up on those who do.

Peace on earth to all.

R

Master

Peace on earth to all.

R
    Well said that man.

Happy Xmas.

Peace on earth to all.

R
    Well said that man.

Happy Xmas.

Here hear ear

Master

:santa:

Well done lads!

20 pages and still no bugger can agree on anything :D

Peace on earth to all.
    R
    Sounds fair to me. I cant say im in favour of fakes but the plain and simple fact is everything in life is copied. If someone spends alot of time and effort creating a fantastic item, someone will try and profit from their R&D. Sux but thats life...

I am still receiving requests via PM's etc for Rolex fakes etc

Guys i will not ever get involved in fakes on this forum or via this forum.

The ones i "work with" cost a min 0f £300 so far more than most want to spend

here is a little clue where i "hang Out" and where you will get the BEST info

Do a search for REPGEEK and go from there !You can find the very very best there

Master

Do a search for REPGEEK and go from there !You can find the very very best there

So your a UK based collector (seller) who trades over on Repgeek?

Way to go on advertising your fakes on a gen forum!

Master

Fakes are SHITE

The end :? :roll:

worrying

Quote Originally Posted by Skool

Did i say that ? I sell only to a certain little group as and when i buy. I never ever sell via forums or web, waste of bloody time !

Did i say that ? I sell only to a certain little group as and when i buy. I never ever sell via forums or web, waste of bloody time !
    But you trade in fake watches, that´s what it looks like you said.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy H

Looks like it, but are they past off as gen, by him or others who buy from him, that's the real worry imo :evil:

Master

Looks like it, but are they past off as gen, by him or others who buy from him, that's the real worry imo :evil:
    i dont know, and regardless wether its wrong or right, as i already said earlier in this thread, theres a few people on this forum into the fake scene. i'v not seen them trying to pass them off as real. .

There was some fool on the German forums introducing his new, high end watches every other week, one week it would be the Patek Nautilus, the next it was an AP Royal Oak, then a Rolex or such. He had everybody fooled with his fakes until a very knowledgeable member called him up on just about every one of them, pointing out the signs everyone else had missed, or not even recognised. It got quite embarrassing for him.

There was some fool on the German forums introducing his new, high end watches every other week, one week it would be the Patek Nautilus, the next it was an AP Royal Oak, then a Rolex or such. He had everybody fooled with his fakes until a very knowledgeable member called him up on just about every one of them, pointing out the signs everyone else had missed, or not even recognised. It got quite embarrassing for him.
    And that is the gist of it.

People who buy fakes want people to think they are the real thing or why would they bother with them?

There are plenty of real watches you can buy for the same cost as "grade 1" fakes.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

And that person who knowingly buys a fake/replica from a fake dealer might pass it on as genuine when he´s tired of it.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C
    And that is the gist of it.

People who buy fakes want people to think they are the real thing or why would they bother with them?

There are plenty of real watches you can buy for the same cost as "grade 1" fakes.
    Shouldn't judge everyone by your own standards.
    Strange as it may seem to you, I buy watches for me; Not to try and impress others.
    Thankfully, I don't know anyone sad enough to be in the least bit interested in what watch I wear.