closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Shops "Staff christmas tip boxes"

Shops "Staff christmas tip boxes"

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Pikey as hell.
    Its US the customers that have been paying your wages etc. And yet they put a box on the counter !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Any company that allows this is a Pikey staffed business.

I only know one local business that offers free coffees and cake etc during the last week of christmas to say thanks to its "customers'

Re: Shops "Staff christmas tip boxes"

Isn't that the origin of Boxing Day?

Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring
    Boxing Day IIRC is about breaking open the church Xmas donation boxes and giving out the cash to the needy - not quite the same as shop workers trying it on :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry
    Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring
    Boxing Day IIRC is about breaking open the church Xmas donation boxes and giving out the cash to the needy - not quite the same as shop workers trying it on :lol:
    THought it was when the family had had enough of each other and would have a good punch up !!

Master

Doesn't offend me, you either contribute or you don't. No-one is forcing you to hand over and I find it quite handy to shove the odd coppers into

That said I would certainly not allow one in my business, but I have been given a few bottles of wine from customers, does that make me a pikey? :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by spogehead
    Doesn't offend me, you either contribute or you don't. No-one is forcing you to hand over and I find it quite handy to shove the odd coppers into

That said I would certainly not allow one in my business, but I have been given a few bottles of wine from customers, does that make me a pikey? :lol:
    A drunk Pikey !

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Driftwood

A drunk Pikey !
    You must know me well...... :D

Craftsman

Don't agree with them being in shops etc. As far as I am concerned this type of christmas 'tipping' is for people that provide you with a personal service throughout the year that you would like to show your appreciation to - ie paperboys, windowcleaners, milkmen etc. The place that it most annoyed me to see one was at the pay kiosk on the way out of an NCP car park infront of a man who couldn't even be bothered to rise a smile whilst he took an extortionate amount off me for parking in a badly lit and stinking hovel :evil:

Quote Originally Posted by Driftwood
    :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Pikey as hell.
    Its US the customers that have been paying your wages etc. And yet they put a box on the counter !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Any company that allows this is a Pikey staffed business.

I only know one local business that offers free coffees and cake etc during the last week of christmas to say thanks to its "customers'
    A bit like fake watches?

Master

I concur... It's a bit demanding and I wouldn't give.

Having said that, Iona & I do take small tokens of our appreciation to people who've given us good service over the preceeding year... Tins of biscuits, boxes of cream cakes or similar; "To be placed in the staff room"... Usually to a chorus of "You shouldn't have" and the response "Well we wanted to!"

It's the difference between a solicited and an unsolicited gift.

Mike.

Master

The French way is to flog you a shitty calendar, the postman got his in before November had even finished this year.

The only one that I don't begrudge buying is from the Firemen. They're all volunteers in rural france, and they also cover all medical emergencies.

Craftsman

Yeah I see those boxes in loads of shops damn cheek I say!! Only tip they get off me is don't bet on Liverpool winning the premiership :D

These are usually accompanied by toadying and fawning by "assistants" who, for the other 50 weeks of the year wouldn't p*ss on you if you were on fire, so speaking for myself, I wouldn't, on principle.

Bah! Humbug!

Ian
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

You could of course take a leaf out of Tommy Cooper's book.

He'd thank assistants / drivers etc by slipping something 'folding' into their top pockets, saying "Here you are, have a drink on me". What they no doubt hoped would be a ten bob note usually turned out to be a teabag.

When you see a staff 'tip' box, you could pop in a folded hand-written message of helpful and homely advice. I'm sure they'd thank you for it.

Just a thought.

David

I suppose I should give a small gift to the postman given the number of times I've had to receive parcels from him. Bloody SC.

You won't make many friends down the local police station if you do that. Oh, wait, you meant...

Thomas Reid

Perhaps I should have one in my office during the last week of term. :)

Best wishes,
    Bob

i dont mind giving to charity in shops,...but donating to the staff isnt something id normally do. Unless they performed a service over and beyond what i expected...like wrapping a present really well with their own paper and ribbons etc...saves me doing it and it looking like a tv aerial.

Quote Originally Posted by rfrazier
    Perhaps I should have one in my office during the last week of term. :)

Best wishes,
    Bob
    If you taught in a Nursery or Reception you'd go home with a carrier bag full of Christmas goodies from the kids (parents). At the end of Primary the quantity of presents is less but the quality improves. When you reach Sixth Form you only get stuff if you're really popular.

Never go in shops so I don't see their tip boxes.

The cafe always has a glass bowl for tips all year round and I usually drop a bit of change in there.

Always tip the post girl at Christmas though as she comes every day and couldn't be more delightful.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C
    Never go in shops so I don't see their tip boxes.

The cafe always has a glass bowl for tips all year round and I usually drop a bit of change in there.

Always tip the post girl at Christmas though as she comes every day and couldn't be more delightful.

You must be giving her more than just the tip if she cums every day :)

No problem with tipping for me, boxes or other. If I've had good service I do tip, if I haven't then no deal.

What I do dislike is the addition of an 'automatic' tip, often seems to be done on restaurant bills and as a %, - to which I insist they remove it and re-present: if I'm going to tip I'll choose how much, thank you. Grrr.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.