closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Avatar

Is it just me?....who thinks that new Avatar movie....looks a bit shit....Is'nt it just like a cross between a computer game and that old cartoon Fern Gully....and maybe the Smurfs! :D

Re: Avatar

It's not just you :lol:

Master

Has it been released here yet ?

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by ptcoll
    Has it been released here yet ?

Pete

Yes, my sis saw it yesterday and thought it was ok.

10/10 for visuals and about 4/10 for the story!

I think It's amazing.
    It changes everything in Cinema IMO.
    Colin.

Master

I will be going to see it at the Imax in central London. Not normally my sort of film, but going to give it a try.
    Wont be till the end of January though - booked solid untill then.

Aww don't say it's sh*t cos I'm looking forward to seeing it over the holidays, BUT I must admit I thought the trailer looked a bit cartoonish. We'll see. How about Sherlock Holmes? Gonna see that boxing day methinks.

I thought it looked like the Phantom Menace - far too clean looking, considering the supposed setting and the vast amount of money spent on it. That, combined with the awful storyline made it a total waste of 3 hours. I can't believe it got such good reviews and I suspect in 10 years it'll look as dated as Titanic does now.

Go to the Imax, I've never seen anything like it....ever.
    5 Oscars for sure.
    C.

Edit. I assume you are all talking about the 3D version ? (I'm not sure if it is released in non 3D)
    Because if not then I could see youre point, the 3D in Imax was nothing short of incredible, like going from silent to talkies, black and white to colour.
    Step change in cinema etc....I'll stop now!
    Colin.

I am looking forward to checking this out in 3D, after seeing the trailer in the cinema in both 2D and 3D, I would have to say it being in 3D is going to be a big important part of the experience.

I was so surprised how amazing the new 3D films are, after seeing Iceage 3, UP and Christmas carol with the kids.

We even took my mum to see Christmas Carol a week after a cataract operration, she thought it was a fantastic experience.

Master

off to see it today...will report later.

don´t know what to think,will see it tomorrow.
    cheers
    miro

awesome movie,a must see!never seen something like this before.
    see it @ Cinema & please only in 3D :shock:

Master

very good. 3D excellent...story good and all in all....enjoyable.

Master

I will go tommorow at the cinema to see it. I hope this IMAX cinema really feels different because the theme of the movie is not very inspired.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by afroglives
    ...I suspect in 10 years it'll look as dated as Titanic does now.
    Does Titanic look dated? I think it looks as fresh as a daisy.

Right, got round to seeing this in 3D. Wow, story is predictable but handled well, also well cast, but the LOOK of the thing blew me away. Well worth seeing - IN 3D.

Saw it a couple of days ago at the IMAX - unbelievable :shock:
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Blog Entries

Saw it in 3D last night, arrived late so only 3 rows back, which was probably a good thing. Its the 2nd 3D film I have seen and thought it was great, much better use of 3D than The Final Destination which just used it for shock.
    Lots of similarities with aliens (the marines, 'the company', the walker thingies) and obvious references to current world conflicts, oil etc (I believe Cameron is anti-war and quite outspoken about it from previous reading).
    I agree, its not a particually complex story but a highly enjoyable one.
    What did excite me was the trailer/snippet at the beginning which ended-

Sky HD in 3D coming 2010, or something like that :shock: :shock: :shock: , better hold off on that new TV for a while, IIRC correctly the ad said no upgrade of HD box required :shock: :shock: :shock: although probably a significant upgrade in subscription

Craftsman

I was unsure at first also, but saw it 3D a few days ago. Verdict? Excellent movie! Well worth the 2 hrs 42 mins!

Beautiful scenes and characters etc. Go see it! :)

Master

An incredible film, a real cinematic experience.

And it's based on a true story too - American invaders, a foreign land, war on terror etc

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Andrzej
    I will be going to see it at the Imax in central London. Not normally my sort of film, but going to give it a try.
    Wont be till the end of January though - booked solid untill then.
    That is why hype and good advertising works,NOT ''normally'' your sort of film but your going to go now!.

Master

I took my two boys yesterday and saw it in 3D. Didn't have much of choice as they were only showing it in 3D and charging above premium as well :angryfire: . I really liked the movie and the special effects, also lots of continuous action as well and would highly recommend

Craftsman

Went to see with my sons (1 had already seen it, but wanted to go again :) )

I was impressed, the 3 D effects are great and I had to duck a few times :shock:

The story was good too.

Recomended

Master

Looking forward to it but District 9 was my film of the year.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Thurein76
    Is it just me?....who thinks that new Avatar movie....looks a bit shit.... :D
    i have already got it in my head that it is shit so i wont go and see it . :)

Just saw it in 3d too. Really an amazing movie, and the first 2 hour 40 minute plus film that I didn't look at my watch in!

Yes, the story line is pretty straight forward and has been done before. Think Fern Gully meets Little Big Man and you'll be pretty close. But the sci-fi ideas in the film are great, the visual presentation is stunning, the direction is well paced and the CGI (in 3D) is amazing.

I agree with the earlier poster who said District 9 was his film of the year, but this gets second from me.

Craftsman

Saw it in 2D and thought it was excellent visually. Story predictable and a bit ecomentalist in places, but fun :)

Journeyman

Excellent film, especially in 3D, if you haven't seen it in 3D I recommend doing so.

Even if you've seen it in 2D already :)

Journeyman

I can't believe it got such good reviews....
    It got absolutely panned on Front Row.

The kids are quite excited by the trailers but it looks dreadful to me so we'll try to duck it

Quote Originally Posted by jimmerjammer
    It's not. I would almost go so far as to say it is a masterpiece. A thoroughly enjoyable experience on all fronts and possibly the most gorgeous film to look at ever. I reckon there have probably only been 3 or 4 really ground-breaking classic SciFi films made in the past 40 years (2001, Alien, Blade Runner, and, I suppose, the first Star Wars film) and now we have another. Set aside your prejudices and give it a go.

Martin

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MartinCRC
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmerjammer
    It's not. I would almost go so far as to say it is a masterpiece. A thoroughly enjoyable experience on all fronts and possibly the most gorgeous film to look at ever. I reckon there have probably only been 3 or 4 really ground-breaking classic SciFi films made in the past 40 years (2001, Alien, Blade Runner, and, I suppose, the first Star Wars film) and now we have another. Set aside your prejudices and give it a go.

Martin
    no i wont martin i,m one of those who says i dont like flying (even though i,ve never flown ) i dont like curry (even though i,ve never tasted one ) i dont like .avatar .................................................. .................................................. .............. :mrgreen: only joking, i will give it a go the wife loves sci fi...... ps i have flown and i love curries btw :)

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerhead
    ...and a bit ecomentalist in places...
    That's a shame. As if it's not rammed down our throats at every other opportunity, it has to present itself in entertainment.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Paulus

The kids are quite excited by the trailers but it looks dreadful to me so we'll try to duck it
    Then you'll be missing out :wink:

Craftsman

It's a visually stunning experience, regardless of the quality of the story or script.

Quote Originally Posted by jk103
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulus

Then you'll be missing out :wink:
    Indeed.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

I went and saw this last night and it is there first of the new generation 3D films I have seen, I am so pleased that I made the effort to go to the cinema.

This is a huge breakthrough in tech for film. You will not get the same experience watching this at home.

The story was good and I came away thinking about the Iraq war, 9/11 and our pillage of countries all over the world.

If you consider yourself a film fan at all then you must go see this

Master

I had my reservations and didn't plan to see it until a mate suggested it. Outstanding, don't wait til it comes on dvd because it deserves to be seen at the cinema

Craftsman

Just got back from watching it in 3D , Wow its a masterpiece

Saw this this afternoon with the family, good film, great cgi (soon we wont need actors at all) and i can see why it has had the deserved hype, enjoyed it a lot.

Saw it a second time yesterday and it still had the wow factor. Plus something I missed the first time Michelle Rodriguez running around in a skimpy T-shirt waving a gun OOh yeah :roll:

Journeyman

I also enjoyed this flick a great deal.
    As others have said, great acting, cinematography, directing, story... has it all IMO.
    Climbed the IMDB.COM 250 board real quick too (not that this would prove anything, with some of the movies they have there :twisted: )

However, I was surprised that the first 3D movie I watched, "UP!", was more eye-candy in the 3D area (obviously not in the visuals area, just the amount of WOW-3D-INMYFACE effects part).
    My mate thought, that perhaps its possible to create stronger 3D effects with fully CG flicks (Pixar, et al)...

Yeah.. by the end of Avatar, I barely noticed the ongoing 3D effects, though it surely made my experience better.

Rant point: it seems they have made excellent work of integrating this 3D into the viewers experience.

BRING ON 3D AGE!! :albino:

Master

Quote Originally Posted by gunslinger
    Saw it a second time yesterday and it still had the wow factor. Plus something I missed the first time Michelle Rodriguez running around in a skimpy T-shirt waving a gun OOh yeah :roll:
    And her 3D boobs when they she springs them from prison :P

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Parabola
    Quote Originally Posted by gunslinger
    And her 3D boobs when they she springs them from prison :P

ok, ok, thats it i am going tonight :D

Haven't seen it and wasn't planning on it. Have been a bit put off by all the hype, and a friend said that it's pretty much Pocahontas with different names. Having said that, with all this talk of it being an amazing cinematic experience (despite the re-hashed story) I might just be tempted to give it a look (nothing at all to do with the 3D boobs you understand :roll: ).

It is visually stunning and anything with Michelle Rodriguez in it is well worth a [s:2bsps0d8]perv[/s:2bsps0d8] look. But I thought the story was derivative and predictable. It was basically a cross between Dances with Wolves and Apocalypse Now with elements of Aliens and the Matrix and I couldn't help thinking of the scene from Withnail and I where Danny says "Hair are your aerials. They pick up signals from the cosmos and transmit them directly into the brain".

Master

Question,

If you take off the glasses in Avatar 3D what does the picture look like?

I ask as my daughter and I have poor depth perception and 3D doesn’t work for us,
    if we go as a family to a 3D screening and don’t wear the glasses will we see a poor or blurred image compared to 2D version?

thanks.

Master

I'm afraid it would be relatively unwatchable Dizz and not recommended. There are 2 pictures broadcast so it would be very blurry as one picture can be up up 6 inches out of sync with the other.

3D takes a little of the vibrancy of the picture away so 2D is a bit brighter.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Groundrush
    It is visually stunning and anything with Michelle Rodriguez in it is well worth a [s:2sgess0j]perv[/s:2sgess0j] look. But I thought the story was derivative and predictable. It was basically a cross between Dances with Wolves and Apocalypse Now with elements of Aliens and the Matrix and I couldn't help thinking of the scene from Withnail and I where Danny says "Hair are your aerials. They pick up signals from the cosmos and transmit them directly into the brain".
    I love it you've taken four disparate, complex films and said its a derivation of all four. That's like saying 'this painting pretty average really, all it is a it of Da Vinci, a smattering of Goya with a bit of Picasso and Turner thrown' :D