closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Michael Schumacher back in F1

Grand Master

Re: Michael Schumacher back in F1

Can things have changed so much in the short time he's been away,hell he did it long enough to have retained the required stuff to do it all again!!!!!.it's not like Linford Christie starting out again at 65 is it,he wouldn't quite run as quick me thinks.

Looks like next season could be even more of a cracker than it is looking already! 8)
    "I looked with pity not untinged with scorn upon these trivial-minded passers-by"

Master

Luca di Montezemolo says Schumacher's deal with Ferrari is 'not binding' :shock:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/80575

Right then, let's get him in that Merc asap!

I'd love to see him back. I hated him when he was winning everything but looking back it was probably just because he was so much better than everyone else, it ended up being boring.

I'd like to see him come back and show all the upstarts how it's done. :)

But last time I got my hopes up it all fell through, so I'll not be crossing my fingers this time, well, ok maybe just a little. :D

Master

Well it looks like you are going to get your wish. Not exactly definitive, but this sounds pretty final...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/moto...ne/8412828.stm

Once again I have proved myself wrong. Clearly I am nowehere near as clever as I thought I was :?

Journeyman

whilst this is all good publicity for F1, i will be amazed if this does happen. why would he want to? - it can only end badly IMHO. he has already had one aborted return because of his neck problem. Yes i would make a mouthwatering prospect to see him race against the current crop of drivers but what if they beat him? he would hate it

I don't see how his reputation can be damaged by not winning, even if he was soundly beaten by Rosberg. No one could argue that he's in his prime, and he has almost all the records in his bag already, and those won't be taken away. I think that racing is in his blood, and even though he is ultra-competitive, he'll be happy enough just to do it for 'fun' this time. His success was built at least partly on his molding of the whole team around himself, and he knows he won't be doing that this time.

I agree that it will be interesting to see how he handles not doing very well though.

Journeyman

Could always blame the car!!

Master

Michael Schumacher has told Ferrari that there is a "very, very, very strong possibility" that he will race for Mercedes-Benz in Formula 1 next year...

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/80623

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by PeterM
    Michael Schumacher has told Ferrari that there is a "very, very, very strong possibility" that he will race for Mercedes-Benz in Formula 1 next year...

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/80623

The " second coming " is it about to happen, lets hope so.

I love you Michael!

(Couldn't keep it in any longer)

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob
    I agree that it will be interesting to see how he handles not doing very well though.
    He's been dabbling in Superbike racing for the last few years, and it's been admirable the way in which he's handled not doing too well at that. He just put his head down and got on with it, and it's been said that perhaps his competitiveness contributed to many of his problems (i.e. could be fast and run towards the front, but crashed a lot)... I'm tempted to think in another life he would probably have made a good fist of it.

I reckon he's picked up a good number of new fans during these bike racing escapades... me included.

I was always a fan but when he turned to bikes (and as a biker myself) this just reinforced my view that Michael Schumacher is a true racer. He has oil in his veins. We may never see the like of him again (or for a long time anyway). A lot of people misunderstood him, hopefully they will appreciate him this time around. I don't expect him to win the championship and I'll think no less of him whatever the outcome.

I'm going to go to at least one F1 race next season, Michael's return has rekindled my interest in the sport. :D

Will be good to see him back in F1 although odd if he appears in the Mercedes.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by sjstrange
    Very true, but didn't he drive for Merc (or was it Sauber-Mercedes) in sports cars during '91 (the year he drove that one race for EJ)?

Still, it really does look like it's going to happen if can pass the medicals :iroc:

Quote Originally Posted by PeterM
    Quote Originally Posted by sjstrange
    Very true, but didn't he drive for Merc (or was it Sauber-Mercedes) in sports cars during '91 (the year he drove that one race for EJ)?

Still, it really does look like it's going to happen if can pass the medicals :iroc:
    Do you reckon that's the reason Merc aren't announcing anything until the New Year?

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Matt.D
    Do you reckon that's the reason Merc aren't announcing anything until the New Year?
    The medical you mean? Yes - I think that is the reason.

Whether that means a series of medical tests and/or a simulation/test in a "privately owned" F1/GP2 car as well I could only guess...

Because of the disappointment when the Ferrari drive never came to pass, I strongly suspect that they will never get as far as an announcement without being 100% sure his neck (and other body parts) are sufficiently fit and tested.

Waiting until January makes a lot of sense and the way that the press-statements are worded, he is really emphasising the "if".

Master

Fairly sure he was driving a Sauber Merc at the 1000Km or whatever race it was I attended at Silverstone many years ago. ISTR that race was *won by Brundle in the Jaguar.

* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1990_480km_of_Silverstone

Interestingly Schumacher didn't do to well but he was relatively unknown back then.

It's just been on BBC News 24 that he's signed a 1 year, €7M deal with Mercedes GP. :D

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire
    It's just been on BBC News 24 that he's signed a 1 year, €7M deal with Mercedes GP. :D
    I really am getting very excited about next season :). Not sure he's going to be all that good anymore though and if he isn't, then with Rosberg in tow I don't see Mercedes doing terribly well.

Master

I wish him all the best and it will be interesting to see how his sprint style of racing, handles the fact that the cars will be carrying a full race load of fuel . The only pit stops will be for tyres. Watch this space.

Surprised it's only a 1 year deal, but I cannot wait. I think this is the biggest news in F1 for a very long time.

I'm in :shock:

Good on him !!

Excellent :D . Can't wait for the Australian GP now, 2010 is going to be a right cracker :) .

Cheers,

Gary

I bet Nico's happy.

Master

:lol:

Master

Michael Schumacher's return to Formula 1 is set to be confirmed later today.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/80650

I didn't expect this until the New Year, although when Ferrari announed that Schumacher's PR rep of many years (Sabine something or other) had left their employ; it was always going to be very soon. Perhaps they wanted to get it out of the way before his 41st birthday on 3rd January :?

So it's going to be official later today then. Watch out to see how much they mention the "if" word when it comes to his medical checks. If they don't say it, then Schumacher must be sure his neck is 100% healed.

Craftsman

Now officially confirmed

GAME ON! 8)
    "I looked with pity not untinged with scorn upon these trivial-minded passers-by"

Yipee! :D

Master

This is going to be one of the most interesting F1 seasons for years. Excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by NJH
    This is going to be one of the most interesting F1 seasons for years. Excellent.
    Indeed! Cannot wait :D

One of seasons with the most cheating then, you mean............................

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Trig
    One of seasons with the most cheating then, you mean............................
    :lol: What cheating you say, cheating in motorsport. Its a given in any F1 season that a certain amount of soap opera will happen. Trying to guess the next installment is half the fun :D

Can't wait to see IF Ferrari can give him the tools to do the job. If so will be very interesting to watch

Quote Originally Posted by gunslinger
    Can't wait to see IF Ferrari can give him the tools to do the job. If so will be very interesting to watch

I don't think Ferrari will be giving him any tools at all :?

Mercedes might lend him something :)

Quote Originally Posted by johnfoxllb
    I don't think Ferrari will be giving him any tools at all :?

Mercedes might lend him something :)
    :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ha too right, just saw it on the news. Haven't followed the the story much and just assumed after all those years he spent with ferrari.... I'll pay more attention in future :roll: .

Do Ross and Michael have a little more history than we thought? :wink:

Brawn says Schumacher assured him that he is still capable of winning despite his three year absence.

"I asked Michael that question and he is the best judge of what he can do," Brawn said. "I trust him explicitly and he told me he can do it."
    http://www.planet-f1.com/story/0,18954, ... 73,00.html

Master

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob
    Do Ross and Michael have a little more history than we thought? :wink:

Brawn says Schumacher assured him that he is still capable of winning despite his three year absence.

"I asked Michael that question and he is the best judge of what he can do," Brawn said. "I trust him explicitly and he told me he can do it."
    http://www.planet-f1.com/story/0,18954, ... 73,00.html
    I spotted that one too. Freudian slip?

I thought I was being too much of a pedant to comment though :D

Great stuff - should make for an interesting season :mrgreen: